PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal build-still legal

arjacobson
11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
I am planning on building a maadi-griffin 50bmg single shot. I realize the designer got in a bunch of trouble with the batf a while ago because of his kits that were sold. I am planning on building my 50 using the plans but cannot find any info/tips on the build. Are they still legal to build?? I am well versed in machining-heat treat-etcetc. Any help?

MtGun44
11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Only state laws that prohibit .50 BMG rifles would control. You can build any gun you
want .50 cal and down for personal use with no Federal problems. If you live in some
fascist rat hole like Mass, CA, IL or NJ I have no idea what the insane gun laws are.

You can't own hollow point ammo in NJ, as an example of their insanity.

Bill

HotGuns
11-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I built a couple of them years ago. If you are a machinist, you will have no problem. If not, it could be tricky as some of the dimensions dont jive.

I didnt like the transfer bar system and totally redesigned it, as well as the safety.

Here is a not so great picture of one.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/Frontview.jpg

Houndog
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
A good friend of mine has built 4 of these things. The first two required you to remove the bolt from the action, put the round in a shellholder made into the bolt and install the assembly in the action. While they were accurate, such an arrangement is unsatisfactory in my way of seeing things. The last two used an action patterned after a Remington 40X single shot with all the demensions upsized to accomodate the 50BMG. Not only were these rifles more user friendly, they were head and sholders above the others in the accuracy department! I do know that ALL the material used in the action body and bolt is 4140 and heat treating was to the same specs Remington used in the 40X. All the bolt bores and raceways were done on an EDM.

scarry scarney
11-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I started to build one. I got so far as getting the reciever somewhat done, and even registered in Commiefornia as a 50 BMG, so its legal. Built the Maadi muzzle break, and bought a Barret muzzle break and even bought a barrel for it, with a 50 BMG chamber, and threaded both breach and muzzle for the Maadi Griffin. I never finished the project, and probably wont. If interested in barrel and muzzel break (registered reciever for sale, and I do not have a bolt), PM me for price or trade.

arjacobson
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Hotguns- Nice work! Scarry scarney--pm sent!

lunicy
11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
You can't own hollow point ammo in NJ, as an example of their insanity.

Bill

Yeah you can.
You can't use them to commit a crime.
Armed robbery = xxx years
Armed robbery with HPs = xxx+5 years

Not trying to be a stickler, but we live in an area where you have to fight for every freedom. Even a little dis-information is a big step backwards for us.

arjacobson
11-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Come to mason city iowa. We have a famous liberal judge who will suspend your sentence...seriously...

MtGun44
12-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Very happy to be corrected on the NJ law. All that I had read indicated that civilians
were prohibited from purchasing HP ammo in NJ, for example having it explained
that the reason for the Powerball and Federal expanding FMJ ammo being developed
was to feed this market with good self defense ammo that bypasses the
no HP laws. Has this recently changed or has my info always been wrong?

Just out of curiosity - would the Hornady ammo with the HP filled with polymer
plug be considered a hollow point?

Always sad for the folks that have to live in the states where the antigun people
still rule the roost and put all sort of ridiculous restrictions on guns and ammo.
Being a CA native, I am very sad about their bad laws.

I don't understand the "iowa - suspend your sentence" post, please explain.

Bill

lunicy
12-02-2012, 10:18 AM
All that I had read indicated that civilians
were prohibited from purchasing HP ammo in NJ, for example having it explained
that the reason for the Powerball and Federal expanding FMJ ammo being developed
was to feed this market with good self defense ammo that bypasses the
no HP laws. Has this recently changed or has my info always been wrong?

Just out of curiosity - would the Hornady ammo with the HP filled with polymer
plug be considered a hollow point?

Bill

There isn't any specific lines stating powerball or any polymer/ballistic tip ammo as HP. On paper, they are the same as FMJ. It would really depend on how much BullS*** the prosecutor and the defense attorney can shovel.
It is weird in this state, no police, lawyers, judges, anyone know anything about guns except what they have read off of Brady brochures.

arjacobson
12-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Mtgun44- In the town I live at there is a judge who is famous for letting criminals off with a slap on the wrist. 30 miles away in the other county they are prosecuting criminals like crazy..

MtGun44
12-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Ok, are judges subjected to any kind of "will of the people" like elections or something? Or are the
local folks happy with what he is doing?

Bill

arjacobson
12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
We have two more years until they can be voted out of retention??? Many people are looking to replace her