PDA

View Full Version : Got a call from Ruger/ SUBJECK Lead ring in cylinder

gray wolf
11-29-2012, 04:39 PM
OK, so Ruger had my pistol 4 days and I got a call from Keith the Tech at ruger
And this was the conversation. He said that he honed all the cylinders and cleaned up the rings in the taper just before the throat begins, he said he hopes it helps with the leading in that area. Said he would replace the cylinder at no charge but wanted to try this first since all the other ones he looked at were the same,( fingers crossed here ) He also replace the recoil shield at the breach face ( didn't know they were a separate part, nice to know )
The hammer was catching when you tried to lower it after it was cocked,
he replaced a funked up part in the hammer and polished the sides of the hammer ( it rubbed on the frame, probly should have some hammer shims )
They don't have them and I don't either, don't know how to take it apart anyway, wish I did. He said the cylinder side to side movement was normal
so nothing done there. Normal is normal and I can live with normal.
They will test fire and ship it back tomorrow so I should have it back Tues.
So far Ruger service has been great and I hope to heck this helps the leading in the cylinder taper, the horrid lead ring.
The proof will be in the shooting, I will have to find a spot with not to much snow and blast away a little.
He tried to tell me if you shoot lead over 900 FPS you will get leading someplace in the gun. Don't worry, I didn't let him get away with that part of the conversation.
You men have been great with all the help and suggestions you have offered. If I have any other problems I hope there small ones LOL :bigsmyl2: So for now I will just hold on till I get Err back :popcorn: :coffee:

44man
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Exceptional service! Good deal.
Don't need hammer shims, all of my guns rub some.
NEED cylinder play, love what you have.
I can't wait to see how it shoots.

HighHook
11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Glad to see Ruger Continue excellent service...
Keep us posted.

runfiverun
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
good deal.

oh and snow is the best backstop ever invented.
you get all your boolits back and they aren't all covered in dirt and gunk.
you gotta wait till spring to get them but you get them whole.

cbrick
12-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Hhmmm . . . That was 11-29-12

Here it is 12-18-12 and we are all sitting here with baited breath waiting to hear about your lead free Ruger. [smilie=6:

Rick

runfiverun
12-19-2012, 03:18 AM
airc it didn't happen.
they tried to polish things up, but it didn't help sam's problem much.

44man
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
airc it didn't happen.
they tried to polish things up, but it didn't help sam's problem much.
I hate to say it but then there is something wrong in the loading process. I don't mean to sound harsh! Some thought and work needs done.

gray wolf
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
sitting here with baited breath waiting to hear about your lead free Ruger.

Rick
I don't know what to make of that remark, so being as I am not in very good spirits and dog assss tired from dealing with more snow than I would rather deal with. I will just say,
I love ya Rick, but sometimes your as smooth as a file EH.
Now for the pistol. the guy at the gun store I deal with was on vacation, Ruger needed his FFL
in order to start work on a new pistol, well they got that info yesterday. So yes, they are sending a new pistol. My old one has been trashed, I would never leave anyone hanging about whats going on.
Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how I am going to get powder, lead, and primers to shoot the thing.
As for me having to work a little harder ( 44man )in order not to get a lead ring at the end of my case mouth in the cylinder, I will do what's needed and I am not shy about asking for help. So don't anyone get there panties in a wad, I will for sure put up a post when I get the new pistol.

cbrick
12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Hhmmm . . . I didn't know any of that, if you posted about it I didn't see it. What was the with your revolver that they trashed it?

Snow? What's that?

Rick

Artful
12-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Hhmmm . . . Snow? What's that?

Rick

Rick it's the other white powder that disappears in spring. I think you guys keep yours up at Shasta

Gray Wolf - I'm also curious about what it was that caused your Ruger to be "trashed" as they generally make a sturdy gun.

gray wolf
12-19-2012, 11:54 PM
#1, the new pistol was/held up cause my dealer was on vacation and they needed his FFL#
They have it now and they are working on getting it to me.
#2 The old pistol was worked on 2 times by Ruger, and parts changed.
They hogged out the forcing cone and the first 1 3/4 inches of the barrel and made it like an ice cream cone. A very poor attempt to take out a few little tool marks and a barrel choke at the frame barrel interface.
#3 they polished the hammer so much because they couldn't get it to stop rubbing on the frame.
That made the hammer very loose in the frame. Way to much room on each side and it wobbled like a loose Goose.
#4 the recoil plate was stating to get holes in it, they replaced it and the firing pin.
They ruined the cylinders trying to take out the tool marks in the taper just after the case mouth. They totally over honed the cylinders scratching them up very badly.
Keep in mind all I asked was for them to take out the rough tool marks in the cylinder, they were just in the taper before the throats, they went way over board in there attempt to do this.
The pistol would not DE-cock without hanging up, this happened 3 out of 5 time if you did it.
I told them I was not happy with the pistol and all the work that needed to be done on a 6 month old pistol. The boss Mr. phifer put to people on the new pistol and told them to get it right. ( whatever that means ) I guess rather than put another barrel on the old one and fit a new cylinder they chose to do a new pistol. There is much more info in some of my old posts
that I am just to tired to go dig up. Believe me I tried many things to stop the lead ring in the cylinder, different powder, different bullets, different molds, different powder charges, hard bullets, soft bullets, air cool, water drop, mouse fart loads, up to 1,100 FPS
I never had an issue with the old pistol being accurate, and I did not have barrel leading, no lead splash in the frame. But it gets down right old when you spend 20--25 minutes cleaning the pistol and two hours trying to get lead out of the taper in the cylinders.
It's all in the old threads from me. I don't think this was an issue of the pistol being a sturdy
pistol. I may be new to the 44 mag, but this is not my first rodeo shooting wheel guns with lead bullets. As I think about it I shot a S&W 8" 629 dirty harry 44 mag that I won in a bowling pin shoot a good 25 years ago. many 38 / 357 I never had a cylinders lead up like this one.
And only in one little spot.

bones37
12-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I had a new model ruger superblackhawk that was doing the same thing as Sams gun, funny thing is I was also told here that there was something that I was doing wrong in the loading process. I traded the ruger on an older smith 29-3, and my problem went away using the same EXACT loads as was used in the ruger. Now I'm no expert, nor do I have the experience that some here have, but the ruger chambers DID NOT look like any other revolver chambers that I've ever seen, and I have several older smiths. The chambers looked more like an auto pistol chamber with a pronounced step/ridge right at the end of the chamber, which is where this lead ring was occurring.
I hate to say it but then there is something wrong in the loading process. I don't mean to sound harsh! Some thought and work needs done.

44man
12-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I had a new model ruger superblackhawk that was doing the same thing as Sams gun, funny thing is I was also told here that there was something that I was doing wrong in the loading process. I traded the ruger on an older smith 29-3, and my problem went away using the same EXACT loads as was used in the ruger. Now I'm no expert, nor do I have the experience that some here have, but the ruger chambers DID NOT look like any other revolver chambers that I've ever seen, and I have several older smiths. The chambers looked more like an auto pistol chamber with a pronounced step/ridge right at the end of the chamber, which is where this lead ring was occurring.
I don't have a good camera but tried a picture. This Ruger has not been cleaned in a few years and is filthy. Chamber reamers are all at a standard. My S&W guns were the same. I owned many Rugers and S&W guns and never had leading in the chambers. I have never, ever found lead in the cylinders of any revolver since the .38's with soft wad cutters. But they also had leading on the outside of frames and cylinders. Silly putty splat.
I really have a hard time seeing what you are looking for. There is a step to the throats. Reamers used are all the same.

Alan in Vermont
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Reamers used are all the same.

THEORETICLY! Any manufacturing process can make something out of spec. and the people inspecting them can miss an error or put a scrap one in the wrong bin.

It would be nice to get the true story but I doubt Ruger will give that out and they are the only ones who know.

geargnasher
12-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Just one question: If it shoots well and doesn't lead the rest of the gun, is leading in front of the case mouths really a problem? Case in point my wife's model 36 that leads the gawdafulroughasacob forcing cone, but nothing else. It builds up to a point in about a cylinder full and never gets any worse, so we just leave it alone. 2" or better groups at 25 yards rested out of a 2" .38 is plenty good for either of us. There's a half-moon ring of lead in one of the throats in my SS Vaquero, the throat that's elliptical. It's been in there for probably 12-1500 rounds because the one time I bothered to peel it out of there it came right back and I got a flier on that chamber. If I leave it alone it shoots fine.

Gear

btroj
12-24-2012, 07:41 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
All my revolvers get a ring of crud at the end of the case. Unless I shoot lots of 38s and it make schambering a 357 difficult I ignore it.
Why spend 30 minutes removing something that will come back in a few rounds?

44man
12-24-2012, 08:14 AM
That's what I say. My .44's always are the dirtiest guns with filthy brass too. Lube gets on the brass and almost never tumbles off. 296 is just plain dirty.
I have to clean and lube the pins and holes often but rarely clean the rest.
I hate cleaning guns and would not even muzzle loader hunt this season. [smilie=1:

gray wolf
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Well I guess to each his own Eh.
I guess no one bothered to read the rest of my post as to the other things that ruger screw up.
and the parts that broke. Seems everyone is just concerned that sam is getting a new gun.
As for cleaning my pistol ? I like cleaning it and it gets cleaned after every time i shoot it.

runfiverun
12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
i really think the whole thing started at the factory.
they just cut the cylinder chambers too deep.
there isn't a factory mold available to fill in the gap and this was causing the number one issue.
the rest was just plain ole roughness caused at the factory also.
ruger cuts all six cylnders and throat all at one time.
i don't think they change out all 6 reamers/cutters at the same time though, so you can get quite a bit of variance depending on who does the work,the time of day and their mood at the moment.
i have found when getting a new ruger it's best to get something new from then when they first come out things are quite a bit tighter/straighter and seem to have much better tolerences.
after a while it's just another part/piece/gun coming down the assembly line and tolerances get stacked up.
when you have 12 people building parts and such one or two of them might be actual gun people that care and the other ten are just doing their job and close nuff is good nuff.

geargnasher
12-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Ruger gang-bores their cylinders, and the reamers are maintained individually, as are the bearings in the boring head. That means that if a reamer gets chipped just the one gets changed out, sometimes with a brand-new one or with one that's been sharpened. After a while all the reamers in the tool are mis-matched, and the chambers show it. I've looked at and measured many Ruger revolvers over the years and you can usually identify one or two holes that had some slop in the bearings, and rarely find more than two holes the same size. I've heard many people say that if you want to buy a Ruger, buy ten of them and keep the good one, I can't argue with that at all. I love Ruger revolvers, but I buy them with the mindset of "some finishing may be required" and have purchased the tools to properly ream the forcing cones and cylinder throats to better suit the needs of cast boolits. Some of them leave the factory in simply hopeless condition, others are near perfect. It's a gamble, you pays your money and you takes your chances. You can spend three times the money on a better spec'd pistol, but you're not going to find a more solid gun.

Gear

Mal Paso
12-25-2012, 01:36 AM
I have yet to buy a revolver that was finished at the factory. I too am acquiring a very nice set of tools including a set of pin gauges which I will bring to my next revolver purchase.

Slow Elk 45/70
12-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Gray Wolf, sometimes ya just have to filter the BS and move on[smilie=1:

gray wolf
12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks GEAR, always good input,
I also agree with this

i really think the whole thing started at the factory.
they just cut the cylinder chambers too deep.
there isn't a factory mold available to fill in the gap and this was causing the number one issue.
the rest was just plain ole roughness caused at the factory also.
ruger cuts all six cylnders and throat all at one time.
i don't think they change out all 6 reamers/cutters at the same time though, so you can get quite a bit of variance depending on who does the work,the time of day and their mood at the moment.
i have found when getting a new ruger it's best to get something new from then when they first come out things are quite a bit tighter/straighter and seem to have much better tolerences.
after a while it's just another part/piece/gun coming down the assembly line and tolerances get stacked up.
when you have 12 people building parts and such one or two of them might be actual gun people that care and the other ten are just doing their job and close nuff is good nuff.
AND this

Gray Wolf, sometimes ya just have to filter the BS and move on
As for getting tools and doing your own work ? I couldn't agree more.
But some of us can't always do that, My cheep battery drill broke ( I broke it ) and now I don't even have a stinking hand drill, look at my AVATAR does it look like I have room for a drill press, lathe, milling machine, bench grinder, surface grinder, ?? I am lucky to have a small flat surface,
A file and a decent wet stone. I wouldn't even have the 44 Mag. if I didn't sell a nice old BP rifle.

Gray Wolf, sometimes ya just have to filter the BS and move on
Oh yes, do I know about that, I do it all the time, but some times you hit your head when you duck and cover (SMILE ) This is my house away from my house, and it's filled with good caring people. The best on the net, I tell people about some of my friends here and they don't believe
what I say. ( I just move on )
Anyway the boss at Ruger has two people building me a pistol ( whatever that is )
So I'm waiting to see what comes of that. Then I am going to save up and try and get a mold that will let me load bullets into the throat, Then I will save up and get some WW metal that hasn't been mixed with all kinds of scrap, then I will save up and get some new starline brass,
And if I have any money left over I can get powder and primers, pay my range fee and go shooting. I'm 70 years old--think I'll make it ?....

shotman4
12-25-2012, 11:47 AM
When Ruger cam out with the super red hawk in 454 I got one . took it out to shoot. first 5 and had to drive the brass out. 5 more and I sent gun back with 3 fired cases that I couldnt get out. Got gun back in about 3 weeks , Fired 5 and same thing. Drove them out ,5 more and it went back again. 3 weeks got it back with letter not to use reloads. I didnt have dies and if they were reloads they came in a new box of Hornady ammo. I shot 1 round and it hung. I cleaned it up and Put it up. for a someday trade. That day came when S&W introduced the 460. Never had a problem with 460--
but one, leave to comp off when shooting lead.
Have an older black hawk in 30 carbine. I have problems with hot loads sticking but I done some honeing and got most all worked out.

whisler
12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Grey Wolf: I don't have new Starline brass but I do have over 100 pieces of used but good 44 mag. brass (mostly WW) that I don't need. I no longer have a 44 mag. and don't foresee getting one so, if you can use the brass, PM me your address and I'll send it. I'm your age and understand the problem. Can't help with the snow.:-D

gray wolf
12-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Well sir that's a nice thing for you to do and I sure do appreciate it.
I appreciate everything you guys do to help me out,--I really do.

Sam

44man
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Gear has it right. I have been very lucky I guess, having owned many, many Ruger's. After friends shoot them I get talked out of many so I can buy BFR's.
I have a thing for the large calibers.
I kept my old IHMSA SBH, just can't part with it. It has a 10-1/2" barrel, shows zero wear after around 70,000 heavy loads and still shoots even with some sandblasting at the cone edges. It accounts for many, many deer.
I bought it when it first came out and had to wait a long time. Bradshaw called it the Silver Hornpipe. It is my luck gun. I was supposed to take it to work to show a friend but I forgot it. I came out of work to find my truck was stolen from a gated parking lot.
I had to go back to the terminal to report it and the cop asked what was in the truck. I told him my toolbox, he wrote down a roll away and a thousand tools. He told me the insurance company would rake me over the coals so he added tons of stuff. I will never forget the man.

gunslinger20
12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
OK, so Ruger had my pistol 4 days and I got a call from Keith the Tech at ruger
And this was the conversation. He said that he honed all the cylinders and cleaned up the rings in the taper just before the throat begins, he said he hopes it helps with the leading in that area. Said he would replace the cylinder at no charge but wanted to try this first since all the other ones he looked at were the same,( fingers crossed here ) He also replace the recoil shield at the breach face ( didn't know they were a separate part, nice to know )
The hammer was catching when you tried to lower it after it was cocked,
he replaced a funked up part in the hammer and polished the sides of the hammer ( it rubbed on the frame, probly should have some hammer shims )
They don't have them and I don't either, don't know how to take it apart anyway, wish I did. He said the cylinder side to side movement was normal
so nothing done there. Normal is normal and I can live with normal.
So far Ruger service has been great and I hope to heck this helps the leading in the cylinder taper, the horrid lead ring.
The proof will be in the shooting, I will have to find a spot with not to much snow and blast away a little.
He tried to tell me if you shoot lead over 900 FPS you will get leading someplace in the gun. Don't worry, I didn't let him get away with that part of the conversation.
You men have been great with all the help and suggestions you have offered. If I have any other problems I hope there small ones LOL :bigsmyl2: So for now I will just hold on till I get Err back :popcorn: :coffee:

Hang in there sir, to make a long story short I had a RBH 7 1/2" in 45 colt . I could not get that gun to not lead the forceing cone and first inch.After cylinders had been reamed, forcing cone remmed to 11* ,lapped to remove restrictions, oversized base pin evry concieavable boolit size and powder combo still leaded.Sent back to ruger because of the stripped frame screw in front of the trigger guard, Ruger sent a new RBH that is deadly accurate will shoot any lead boolit I run through it hot or mild loads. I have not had to ream the cylinder or do any work at all on this gun. I think they must have a few master gunsmiths that custom build guns for people that have had a problem child such as you have described. I shoot heavy boolits and heavy powder charges of H-110 all the time so I cant be accused of going easy on this weapon. I hope you are as happy as I when you get it back.