PDA

View Full Version : New to rifles: OAL for 308 Winchester in my lever rifle.

357shooter
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi guys,

Need some help in terms of advice. I have a wonderful Browning Lever Rifle in 308 Winchester. I also have a great casting RCBS 308-200-SIL mould, and I'm wondering if it's a little long for the best results.

Shooting needs: I do a lot of target / fun shooting at 100 - 200 yards. A few times a year I can stretch it out to 300 - 400 yards max. I'd like to get excellent accuracy with this rifle out to 200 for sure. It would be great to hit the gong at 400 when at that shooting range.

The question: Is the bullet seating to deeply into the case, thereby affecting accuracy at the distances that I shoot? I won't have a chance to try for awhile and am debating getting another mould, not sure it's worth it. I know shoot and see what the gun likes. However I'll be able to work on loads at shorter range immediately, and then in Jan able to test at 100yards for the first time. This gun needs to do some shooting!

The measurements:

2.8 inches is the max that the magazine takes, reliably
2.005 is the length of my Remington unfired cases
0.795 is how much of the bullet can be out of the case
1.178 is the bullet length
0.383 is inside the case
0.276 is the measurement that I got for the length of the outside of the neck
0.107 is likely below the neck and inside the taper area of the case

Is the .107 accurate, does it sound right based upon your experience and measurements? Will firing than resizing change this for the better or for the worse?

What do you think? Buy a slightly shorter bullet, or just keep working with the 200-SIL for the next few months?

I'll be starting with 16 grains of 2400 and will work with that for awhile. I plan to develop a heavier load at 2,000-2,200fps soon after as I'd like to have the two good loads.