PDA

View Full Version : Having a slight issue with both of my .30-30 seat/crimp dies

possom813
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm not exactly sure what's happening.

Both dies are set and locked for the 150 jacketed soft points that I've been loading.

I prep the case, and trim the neck to size, then debur it.

Next, I lube the case with cabela's case lube, not sure exactly what's mixed up in it. I let them dry for a while then run them through the f.l. sizer and decapper.

I clean and lube the inside of the neck with case lube on a q-tip and then put the cases in a holder neck down for little while to let the lube dry.

Next, prime the cases, powder the case, and get ready to seat the bullet and crimp it.

This is where the issue starts.

When seating the bullet, I adjust the seat to get it just right and make sure that the crimp die is still in the right spot. I adjust the crimp die by putting a case in the shellholder and running the ram all the way up. Screw the die down until I can't anymore, then back the case off and turn the die another 1/4 turn.

This has always worked, until last night?

I had to readjust everything, not a big deal, but setting the die like I've always done, I was squishing the shoulder?

I ended up seating all the bullets, then going back in a second step to crimp them, but I had to back the die out a good bit and just barely crimp the neck, or it would crush the shoulder?

Any ideas on why?

One crimp die is Lyman, the other is CH

bob208
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
i had the same problem years ago crushing the shoulder. so i did the same thing you do seat the bullets then go back and crimp them.

1hole
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
"Any ideas on why?"

Yeah. You have the crimp ring so far down you're sholving the whole neck into the shoulder. ??

MT Chambers
11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
With thin cases, like someone else suggested, do it in 2 steps, you'll get better crimps and more consistancy.

williamwaco
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
with thin cases, like someone else suggested, do it in 2 steps, you'll get better crimps and more consistancy.

ditto

WyrTwister
12-01-2012, 09:14 AM
If you do not have a Lee Factory Crimp Die , try one .

Also , if you have not done so , clean and lightly oil your existing dies .

God bless
Wyr

GP100man
12-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Remove the seater asm. take a bore mop/or a suitable tool & some FLITZ or JB Bore paste & polish the inside of the seater paying attention to the crimp step .

There maybe a slight burr/tool mark or even a spec of rust catching the neck.
Adjust slowly , but I also seat then crimp the dirty-30.

John J
12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
I prep the case, and trim the neck to size, then debur it.

Next, I lube the case with cabela's case lube, not sure exactly what's mixed up in it. I let them dry for a while then run them through the f.l. sizer and decapper.

Trim and debur the cases after fl sizeing

Rich/WIS
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Are you checking case length. Had this problem with some 06 brass and when I checked they were way too long. A uniform crimp requires a uniform case length.

rexherring
12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
If you do not have a Lee Factory Crimp Die , try one .

Also , if you have not done so , clean and lightly oil your existing dies .

God bless
Wyr

+1 on the Lee, love mine.

r1kk1
12-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Remove the seater asm. take a bore mop/or a suitable tool & some FLITZ or JB Bore paste & polish the inside of the seater paying attention to the crimp step .

There maybe a slight burr/tool mark or even a spec of rust catching the neck.
Adjust slowly , but I also seat then crimp the dirty-30.

Good advice. Also Wyr has done a file that has great directions on seating/crimping in one step. I also crimp and seat in two different steps when I need to crimp.

Take care

r1kk1

WyrTwister
12-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Good advice. Also Wyr has done a file that has great directions on seating/crimping in one step. I also crimp and seat in two different steps when I need to crimp.

Take care

r1kk1

I load more handgun ammo , now a days , than rifle ammo . And , even some of the rifle ammo ( like cast bullets in .30-30 ) get crimped .

But , I do seat & crimp with 2 dies , when I can .

God bless
Wyr

jatbrats
12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Im having the same problem . Eveything is right , the over all length is perfect . The casings are new . I just cant get it , Ive smashed 6 shells already and its frustrating

WyrTwister
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Im having the same problem . Eveything is right , the over all length is perfect . The casings are new . I just cant get it , Ive smashed 6 shells already and its frustrating

Try less crimp .

God bless
Wyr