PDA

View Full Version : Storing molds

gspgundog
11-29-2012, 02:46 AM
An elderly friend passed away several years ago and his wife gave me a big box of his reloading / casting equipment. I finally got around to going through it and all of his molds have the last pour still in the mold. Is this a good way to store molds for a long period? What would have been the thinking behind storing them that way. Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks

Mooseman
11-29-2012, 02:55 AM
For steel molds , we oil them and place them in ziplock bags. Brass and aluminum just get put back in their boxes and stored in a dry place.
Since lead can expand, and oxidize, the molds should be stored empty.

Rich

cbrick
11-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits gspgundog,

I look at keeping the cavities filled for storage as an old wives tale. That in years gone by was a popular method of preventing the cavities from rusting. Doesn't work and can cause it's own problems such as was mentioned oxidation but it can also trap any possible moisture present and make rusting worse.

Rick

Vinne
11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Cbrick is right. Years ago we left the last pour in the mold to "seal" the mold but it caused other problems with extended storage. It's ok if you plan to cast later that day or the next day. I just keep mine boxed in my loading room with all the components.

454PB
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I stored them that way many years ago, only because it was recommended by the "old timers". Living where I do in a relatively low humidity, I never had any rust problems.

Now, I just put them in a storage box with empty cavities, and I still have no rust problems.

waco
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Brass and aluminum molds just sit on the bench.
Steel molds get a shot of Fluid Film. The stuff is great, and lasts a LONG time without dissipating.