PDA

View Full Version : problem with 10-10 scale

wgr
11-29-2012, 01:09 AM
my 10-10 scale will not zero. used it a week or back it worked fine. got it out today it would not zero . the arm went as high as could go and cant adjust it back down. set it in the same place as all-ways . need help. thinks bill

billyb
11-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Call RCBS they will give you the address for Ohaus and a return number to place on the outside of the box you ship it in. ohaus will referb the scale and return to you at no cost.had to return mine some time back. Bill

Rory McCanuck
11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Take a Phillips screwdriver and remove the screw that hold the aluminum plate over the agate bearing that the arm pivots on.
Clean the agate bearings with some alcohol, and clean the pivots, too.
Do not lubricate them.

It only takes 20 minutes, and you would be amazed how much yuck can accumulate in those little corners.
If this doesn't help it then look into sending it in for help.

Wayne Smith
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Several years ago I bought a very grungy looking RCBS 10-10 off ebay at a very low price. Got it and it would not hold a zero. Boxed it up and sent it to RCBS for repair, with a letter explaining the situation. A few weeks went by and I got a box back from RCBS. I expected a refurbished scale, I got a brand new one!

wgr
11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
thinks ill call monday

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Several years ago I bought a very grungy looking RCBS 10-10 off ebay at a very low price. Got it and it would not hold a zero. Boxed it up and sent it to RCBS for repair, with a letter explaining the situation. A few weeks went by and I got a box back from RCBS. I expected a refurbished scale, I got a brand new one!

I had the exact same experience, except it wasn't a few years ago, it was last winter. Clean it per suggestions, then send it in for repair. They'll have it a while, but they'll make it right.

1bluehorse
12-01-2012, 01:07 AM
If cleaning doesn't do the job, RCBS will send you new "agates (thats what the poise sits on) free of charge. At least they did for me, and that fixed the problem with my 1010.

Any Cal.
12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I had that happen once. There is lead shot in the silver pan holder that can be removed to let you zero the scale, I had to take a couple pieces out, and tit has been fine since. Not sure why or what caused the issue, but that is the fix if cleaning doesn't work. Oh, mine was a five-oh-five, not sure if they are exactly the same in that area.

Wayne Smith
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I had that happen once. There is lead shot in the silver pan holder that can be removed to let you zero the scale, I had to take a couple pieces out, and tit has been fine since. Not sure why or what caused the issue, but that is the fix if cleaning doesn't work. Oh, mine was a five-oh-five, not sure if they are exactly the same in that area.

They are, they use the same pan. Be aware that pans are loaded to fit the scale. Take a pan from one scale and put it on another and it won't balance. You need to add/remove shot from the bottom. Simply remove the screw where you have something underneath to catch the shot.

pistolman44
12-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Was it made in Mexico?

badluther
12-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem. Shipped it to RCBS, and they fixed it. Give them a call.

RG1911
12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I had an old Ohaus-made RCBS scale that wouldn't zero. I sent it back to Ohaus who told me the scale was so old they didn't have parts to fix it and would I mind if they sent me a new RCBS 10-10 scale? Tough decision.

Richard

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
It's got to be at the fulcrum point..worked last week. Agate needs cleaning and/or tweaking.(where's my egg nogg)
:)