PDA

View Full Version : Two cavities easier than four!

bearstopper
11-29-2012, 01:00 AM
As a new caster, I was clueless about different mould designs etc. I have picked some up here and there and tonight cast up some with Lyman 4 cavity, Lee 2 cavity, and Lyman single cavity. I have learned that I prefer a two cavity over the 4 just due to the extra manipulation required to use the 4. The single cavity is easy of course but at 1/2 speed so I believe I am going to stick with 2 cavity moulds until I learn otherwise. Also learned that the fact that aluminum moulds heat up quicker is a nice little attribute of the Lee stuff. Lovin this stuff!

Oreo
11-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Cutting the sprue can be done by hand with a 2-cavity which is nice. I find I have to tap the sprue plate with a mallot to cut the sprue on a 4-cav.

warf73
11-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Once the mold is up to proper temp and the spur is nice and hot the 4 cavity is the only way to go. Your comparing the 2 cavity to 1 cavity is the same view I take on the 2 cavity vs. the 4 cavity, running a 2 cavity is like going half speed. I also use a gloved hand to cut the spur on the 4 cavity mold just like I do on the 2 cavity.

Whiterabbit
11-29-2012, 07:42 AM
all of my best molds, Lee or not, are 1 cavity.

All of them. :)

HATCH
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
The only 2c mold i have besides the ones for the master caster are mihec brass molds.
4c is so much faster once you get the hang of it.
Its all about mold temp.

sent from my mobile.

bobthenailer
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I have moulds in 2, 3 , 6, and 8 cavity , about 25 in all, i prefer a 4 cavity or larger if its avalible , it also depends somewhat on how much i will be using that particular bullet.
I can usually make about this amount of bullets per hour actual casting time . also depends on bullet weight & caliber, and i also shoot alot
2 cavity 300 to 500 per hr
3 cavity 400 to 600 per hr
6 cavity ? forgot how many as i only have one and havent used it for a few years
4 cavity 600 to 800 per hr
8 cavity 1100 to 1400 per hr

11-29-2012, 11:31 AM
. . . the extra manipulation required to use the 4.

If you are using the nutcracker style handles, I agree. Not, however, when using Lee's six-cavity handles.

Its all about mold temp.

That should be the forum's motto.

bearstopper
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Basing soley on a few sessions, the four cavity was awkward enough to slow me down alot. Maybe I will improve with it in time and think otherwise.

Catshooter
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Steel fours are too heavy for this old man's old back. Twos work great for me.

Cat

Springfield
11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Back? I never hold mine in the air, it goes from the mould guide to the top of the metal casting table while it cools. Except for HP moulds I prefer 6 cav aluminum, 4 I consider a minimum. A 6 cavity with a bullet under 200 grains does about 1000/hr. Above that I have to use a cooling fan to keep up the volume. I do mostly pistol bullets for close range, long range bullets are a whole different thing. When I have to use a 2 cavity, like when doing balls, it seems like everything is in slow motion.

Dale53
11-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I am 77 years old. I MUCH prefer four cavity brass or steel and five or six cavity aluminum moulds. I have no problem whatsoever with a four cavity steel or brass mould. However, I admit my H&G six cavity iron mould is MUCH too heavy for fun (It weighs nearly five pounds). It sure does run the metal but I dread using it. Fortunately, I found a very nice H&G four cavity for a .38 wadcutter so the six cavity iron mould is on the shelf.

I only use two cavity moulds for the Cramer style moulds that Mihec produces. Hollow point moulds DO require extra manipulation so in that case, it is two cavity for me.

FWIW
Dale53

btroj
11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Key point is that he was using a Lyman 4 can mould. Those nutcracker handles are miserable to use.
I far prefer any 2 cav mould to a Lyman 4 cav with those handles.

What I really like is a good 4 to 6 cav mould with proper handles. I like Lee 6 cav moulds for production.

Gotta make a fair comparison. Nutcracker handles make a difference.

Springfield
11-30-2012, 10:19 PM
So switch handles, Lyman does make the other style.

RED333
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a nut cracker handle on a 4 cavity mold, after I pour I set the mold on my basket , open the mold so the boolits fall into the basket, letting the mold rest on the basket, all the weight is supported by the basket.

prs
11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I find Lee 6 cavity moulds way easier and more reliable than Lee 2 cavity moulds. Now that Lee has seen the light and are making new doubles with guide pins, maybe I can buy more doubles for low volume applications or when trying a new to me design.
prs