PDA

View Full Version : New to me Mould Master XX

bearstopper
11-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Just recieved a barely used Lyman Mould Master XX in the mail today purchased here in the classifieds and it is a sweet machine. I have been collecting moulds and all the tools of the trade for several years, but never had a chance to do some casting until about a month or so ago. Enjoyed a little ladle casting but found a 10 lb pot a little small for easy use. I have an old dutch oven that I revived and it is much easier with more lead in it. However, after whipping out some serious boolits this eve, I am hooked on casting with a quality furnace such as this one. Amazing how quick you can knock them out with this baby.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-29-2012, 12:56 AM
The Moldmaster XX was manufactured by the same company that made the Saeco Model 24. That was some years ago but both pots remain much sought after today as they were solidly engineered and built. Capacity is around 10-11 pounds, but there are no short-cut materials used and they go a long time. Thermostats work well and valves usually don't leak. I have the Saeco since the 70's and its never missed a beat. You can keep it looking new by spraying the outside cast iron and blued parts with Rustoleum Stove black-high heat (1200 degree) that is sold in big department stores or Ace hardware. Empty the pot periodically and get the crud out and off the sides so that it doesn't build up and interfere with the valve (seat). You are fortunate to have found what you got....take good care of it and it will give you long & good service. LLS