PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if this was worth 10 bucks?

toooldtocare
11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/P1010055_zpsdb82bf57.jpg
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/P1010056_zpsbbc8ac03.jpg

A guy came to the shop today asking if I could look at his truck. Said rear end was leaking fluid. After looking and talking to the guy I noticed this press in the back of his truck with a lot of junk. He said he was on his way to the scrap yard. I asked him if I could buy it. He said sure. Ten bucks. Then he said that's all the scrap yard gave him for the last 3. So I borrowed ten bucks from boss and bought it. Its nasty and full of oil. It should clean up nice though!!!

tward
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Nice looking old herters press, nice buy! Tim

Kskybroom
11-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Nice lookin Scrap... Score....

451whitworth
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
"the last three"?! he scrapped 3 reloading presses? uggg.

possom813
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I've got one of those, eerily similar to that one, laying on my floor in the junk room...Not really sure what to do with it because it has a different/older type of shellholder setup on it.

Maven
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I've got one of those, eerily similar to that one, laying on my floor in the junk room...Not really sure what to do with it because it has a different/older type of shellholder setup on it.

You can get a shellholder conversion from CH-4D which will allow the use of modern shellholders.

possom813
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
You can get a shellholder conversion from CH-4D which will allow the use of modern shellholders.

I saw those, but for around $25 delivered, never had the inclination to order it. I've got 2 presses setup and an extra JR press for a backup.

It's a heavy press, I may wind up trading it off one of these days.

atr
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
YES !!!!
great press...I have been using mine for 40+ years,,,,,they don't wear out !
if I ever found one at that price I would buy it !

bob208
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
i have some shell holders for those presses. i will have to dig them out.

Reg
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
If you are intrested in selling it, send me a PM.
Thanks

possom813
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I have to correct myself, I just went and dug out mine. Mine is a Herters Super Model 3

'C' style press

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I have a Herters "C" press,
and I'd love to have an "O" press like the one you just got.

I'd suspect the value of that press is around $75
Jon

zuke
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Did you tell him you'd buy anymore he came across?

Old Caster
12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I bought a model 3 in 1965 when I was in the army in Germany. In those days they would send primers and powder to an APO address. I still have it and it workes perfectly.

Green Frog
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
That is the mother of all single stage presses. A friend of mine, recently deceased, had me look for one for him when he broke his Rockchucker™ doing bullet swaging! :shock: He was one of the most knowledgeable guys about machining and materials strength I ever knew and a guiding light of the experimenters in the American Single Shot Rifle Association, so I really respect his opinion... so much so that I have one of the same model myself. I believe the model you have there was marketed as the "Super U" press and described as a combined type C and type O with the total strength of both. As others have said, shell holders are a bit of a challenge, but the adaptors to standard RCBS-type are available and work well except for priming, which I do by hand anyway. As to price, I bought the two I have had (his and mine) at gun shows for about $25 each, IIRC, and he was happy to trade me one of the accessories he built to get his. BTW, if you work in an automotive shop, you probably have a parts cleaner (spray type over a sink style receptacle.) If it were me, I'd just clean the whole thing thoroughly in that solvent, dry it off then relube the moving parts and any unpainted or unplated parts to prevent rust. Then enjoy!! :mrgreen:

Froggie

PS Upon looking at you pictures again, this is the second strongest press of Herters'. IIRC, they made one where they closed in the opening visible in the back of yours and had the additional strength that would bring. Regardless, your press is, as they say, "Hell for stout!"