PDA

View Full Version : Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

Randy C
11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Just was wondering if the info on this sight was right for the new old stock molds I bought
The 311 Molds are they for 308 rifle and 245 Mold for 243 or 6mm and the Grain's right? I dont know a lot about reading the numbers on bullet moulds, I have ben buying and colecting reloading equiptment for 15 yr's Reloading for about 5 Yr's. I bought my other one's from Old West Bullet Mold's and I did not question him I told them what I wanted and they made them.
http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Just was wondering if the info on this sight was right for the new old stock molds I bought
The 311 Molds are they for 308 rifle and 245 Mold for 243 or 6mm and the Grain's right?
Welcome to the site.
The best boolit casting site in the world.
Are you looking to start casting ?
or just turn these for a profit ?
not that there is anything wrong with that....(funny seinfeld quote)

to answer your Q.
the last 3 digits are a design number, NOT the number of grains.
other manufacturers put the weight of the boolit in the Model number, but not ideal/Lyman.

Randy C
11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I was going to use them for reloading. I have never sold anything, We like to reload and shoot just dont have a lot of time. I have worked in the oil field for the last 5 yr's and work 14 to 16 hr a day, We live on the Old family farm. I think my Lyman casting book is in town, I have had casting equiptment for about 5 yrs but never used it, I was Working and living out of town. Home now looking forward to giving Casting a try, I am at home nights now. I brought home about four boxes of reloading equiptment that family was useing last Sunday.

Buckshot
11-30-2012, 02:51 AM
...........On Lyman moulds the first 3 digits are the nominal 'As Cast' diameters. As JonB in Glencoe said, the last three is a design family. The 311466 and 311467 are both Loverin designs discontinued years ago and are very desirable boolit designs. The Loverin design is not a bore rider which seems to be the rage these days. They're very good for reaching through long throats and since they're NOT bore riders, that's one less dimension you have to worry about :-) However for short throated and short casenecks it's possible the boolit may seat a bit deeper then you'd like. But of course with a nose sizer you can eliminate THAT problem too!

............Buckshot

Randy C
11-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the replys, I would like to know what the weight of each one is going to be close to.
http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm
Do you think what is listed at this link is close to what they will through? I dont think I have handles to fit these moulds, It sayes small on the box.

Dan Cash
11-30-2012, 01:54 PM
To answer your specific question regarding Ol' Buffalo bullet Mould Tables; within my direct experience with 8 Lyman moulds, three of which are .311s, two .454s, one .429 and two .357, the weight indicated on the chart is very close to what you get with #2 Lyman alloy. Wheel weights will run a little heavier.

Large Lyman or RCBS handles should fit the small blocks.
Hopes this helps.

oneokie
11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
The LEE 6 cavity mould handles with fit the small single cavity Lyman moulds. I have a set on my single cavity 31141.

Randy C
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I will have to take the handels off my Old west and see.
can you tell what the Moulds are BY looking, I know I could not

Catshooter
12-01-2012, 12:22 AM
That four cavity looks like a Lyman 3118. It also looks a bit beat up, needs some help.

Welcome to the site Randy. It's crazy here, (I should say we're crazy) but there's no place better to learn about casting.

Cat

Randy C
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
The Brass is 357/38 one is a 158gr and the other is about 125gr rn I can use it sized down for 9mm or 38sp, the 4 cavity is Dales and I think it is 32-20 IDEAL says 3118 You have a good eye or you sold it to him. It is the only one he owns. I was thinking about buying him a Lyman Big Dipper Furnace Master Casting Kit 110 Volt, midway has it for 189.00 Do you think this is a good starter kit? I will have to buy Dale the gas check seater , thermometer, I would like to ask is a built heater better than a bottom heater on the 4500 lub sizer?

fcvan
12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I couldn't tell you if the built in heater works better than the heater plate. I have a Lyman 450 and a heater plate. From what I gather, the heater element is the same for either but I'm not sure. What I do know is one transfers heat from the plate to the sizer body and the other directly to the sizer body.

Lube heaters are only required for very hard lubes or for using the sizer in cold environments. I used my Lyman 450 for 25 years without a heater but wanted to try some harder lubes. They worked out ok. Then I started making my own loob (from recipes on this site) and of late using Lars BAC which doesn't require a heater. Hope this helps