PDA

View Full Version : To add or not to add Antimony

toolz568
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Some how I managed to create about 25 lbs of some brittle, non pourable, unknown alloy and sent it off for analysis. In the mean time, I have lots of pure lead and tin and want to start casting again. Is it worth while to buy antimony and make Lyman #2 or is water dropped 10:1 or 20:1 lead-tin alloy just as good?

Balta
11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
You will not get any result buy water droping that alloy..You need antimony to water dropping have efect..Trace of arsenic help also much(like in COWW)

darkroommike
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Some how I managed to create about 25 lbs of some brittle, non pourable, unknown alloy and sent it off for analysis. In the mean time, I have lots of pure lead and tin and want to start casting again. Is it worth while to buy antimony and make Lyman #2 or is water dropped 10:1 or 20:1 lead-tin alloy just as good?

20 to 1 is pretty good. You will not get antimony to melt at home furnace temps. You'll need to buy lead+antimony alloy to melt with your "pure" lead. Or some linotype or wheelweight alloy from Roto to cut your lead.

runfiverun
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
antimony ore can be mixed into a lead/tin alloy at 600-f.
20-1 approximates ww alloy bhn.
depending on the cartridge you are using the boolits in you might not even notice the difference.

toolz568
11-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. A friend gave me 5 lbs of 80/5/15 to alloy. I plan on making 90/5/5 and comparing it to 20/1. Nice to know I don't need to water drop. I always worried about getting water in the lead.

Lizard333
12-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. A friend gave me 5 lbs of 80/5/15 to alloy. I plan on making 90/5/5 and comparing it to 20/1. Nice to know I don't need to water drop. I always worried about getting water in the lead.

This is a common fear. Water on TOP of the molten lead is no danger whatsoever. Water UNDER the surface of the lead is where the tinsel fairy shows her ugly head. You can pour water on top of your molten lead pot with no ill effects. Your more likely to have the tinsel fairy show her ugly head by dropping in ingots that are not properly preheated. Water dropping boolits is safe. If your concerned, put a rag over the bucket with a slit cut in it to prevent any splash.