PDA

View Full Version : I Never Shoot Lead bullets..........

HighHook
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I just talked to a young guy that told me he had thousands of lead 38 and 45 boollits. He said come over and i will give them all to you for trade of some factory J 38s and 45s.

Get to his place and he has over 10k assorted unsized and unlubed lead boolits from unmarked boxes.[smilie=w:

When this young 23yro kid with NO wrinkles said the word "LEAD" his nose and forehead had wrinkles all over his face. He said i will NEVER shoot lead out of my guns.:confused: My wrinkles disappear when i think of shinny LEAD Boolits:shock:

I wasn't in the mood to start educating:evil: so i gave him a few boxes of nice shinny J worded ammo and off i go.

Play time for me..... [smilie=s:

latesvak
11-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow .what a great score.

Latesvak

beagle
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I've met those guys. They're ripe to be turned to the dark side. Work on him./beagle

olafhardt
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I saw on the noon news that pork carries diseases and furniture has fire retardents that cause cancer. So I guess I'll sit here in my recliner eat a ham sandwitch and enjoy the stare of being too old to die yyoung.

gkainz
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
If he dislikes lead so much, how and why did he end up with that stash?

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Liberate him of his stash before you smarten him up.
Education is expensive these days :bigsmyl2:

Hickory
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
23 years old?
His priorities are probably beer, sex and jacketed bullets.
His priorities will change when he matures to cast boolits!

1Shirt
11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
It is sure a shame to waste youth on the young!
1Shirt!

Hamish
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
The dearest lessons are those learned the hardest. Take his stash, never let it bother you, and if he ever does turn away from the dark side, be a little magnanimous with him. @(;^]#>::: For when he *does* appreciate it, he will value it all the more, and then the sharing will be all the better.

HighHook
11-28-2012, 08:02 PM
The kid said the renters before him left them there. No guilt at all here.

captain-03
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
He will tell someone one day -- "There was a time a had 10K boolits and let them go for almost nothing!!"

Mal Paso
11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
The kid said the renters before him left them there. No guilt at all here.

Abandoned Boolits find a home. Warms my heart.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I need to hang out with dumber people, everyone I buy stuff from knows what it worth:cry:

MtGun44
11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
LOL! "lead bullet tips"

Bill

imashooter2
11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
23 years old?

At 23 I really doubt beer is in front of sex. [smilie=l:

45-70 Chevroner
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I second that.

castinplumber
11-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Poor kid probably bottle fed. I remember those days well not the bottle part.

fcvan
11-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Obviously, all that lead made the guy ignorant. I've cast so many boolits I'm blissfully ignorant! I'm too dumb to know that lead boolits are horrible and inaccurate!

PS Paul
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Well obviously, YOU are the hero in this story! You saved a young man, with his whole life ahead of him, from the potential exposure to substances KNOWN to the state of CA to cause cancer in laboratory animals! He should be blessing you with more good, free stuff that might just kill him otherwise.....

rintinglen
11-29-2012, 03:30 AM
I need to hang out with dumber people, everyone I buy stuff from knows what it worth:cry:

Me too! Though I have scored about 30 pounds of lead this year from a couple of friends at work--A few hundred boolits given in exchange has lead to a great deal of good will.
There is something somewhat silly about this fascination with cheap or free lead, but I am addicted. I have thousands of dollars tied up in casting equipment, more money in guns and reloading equipment, yet I scramble after lead like I was Natty Bumpo with one gun and mold in my pack...Helps to be crazy, I guess.

Sasquatch-1
11-29-2012, 07:31 AM
23 years old?
sex and jacketed bullets.

This is the problem with sex ed in the schools. Kids now days want jackets on everyhthing.:veryconfu

Whiterabbit
11-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I just talked to a young guy that told me he had thousands of lead 38 and 45 boollits. He said come over and i will give them all to you for trade of some factory J 38s and 45s.

Get to his place and he has over 10k assorted unsized and unlubed lead boolits from unmarked boxes.[smilie=w:

When this young 23yro kid with NO wrinkles said the word "LEAD" his nose and forehead had wrinkles all over his face. He said i will NEVER shoot lead out of my guns.:confused: My wrinkles disappear when i think of shinny LEAD Boolits:shock:

I wasn't in the mood to start educating:evil: so i gave him a few boxes of nice shinny J worded ammo and off i go.

Play time for me..... [smilie=s:

My first thoguht was "what state is THIS guy from??" ...go figure. He's been reading too much calguns again.

oldfart1956
11-29-2012, 07:53 AM
It's not just the young'un fellers. Big Brother Art has been reloading since he was 16/17 and is now 58 and he refused to even try lead boolits until recent. Same response..."ruins the barrels!" Mind ye this guy has never even used Unique! Never owned a powder measure! (he's weighed each and every charge!) My how things change. He's got roughly 100lbs. of boolits at his home now! :) 38/357 and .44's. He even bought a new RCBS powder measure after trying my Lee. Back in July I bought 750lbs. of Lyman #2 and I'm worried we might not have enough now. Audie...the Oldfart...

41 mag fan
11-29-2012, 10:12 AM
One mans junk is another mans treasure

captaint
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Shortly after I began shooting, like 40 years ago, I was that guy. I couldn't imagine why people would want to shoot lead boolits in their guns, and then have to scrub all that lead out of the barrel.... Why would anybody want to do that ?? Why ?? Live and learn indeed. I haven't loaded, bought or shot a jacketed bullet in years. Can't imagine why I would want to do that... OK, about 4 years ago I loaded up 50 rounds of 7X57 for my hunting rifle. Haven't fired it since. We don't have deer in Pennsylvania anymore, not up in the real woods, anyway. The deer all live near the cities, where it's almost impossible to get permission to hunt. The archers do real well around here. Biggest racks in the state, every year. enjoy Mike

DRNurse1
11-29-2012, 10:34 AM

I second that.

I don't know. Around here the beer and sex seem to alternate priorities with our youth so ImAShooter may be right.

fatelk
11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
You know, I had a friend once who had a Ford Pinto that was a dangerous piece of junk. I'll never own a Ford for that reason. Everyone knows they are all dangerous junk.:)

I have a friend who won't touch lead either. Twenty years ago he and a buddy loaded up a bunch of no-name bulk lead 9mm bullets, then spent a whole day scraping lead out of their barrels. As a result lead is the devil. I can't convince him otherwise so I don't even bother.

On the otherhand, he did once pick up a couple hundred pounds of linotype for me for $20.:)

HighHook
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
OK, The 23yrold kid just called me and said he has a couple buckets of WW and cig butts on the side of this house, Do i want them?
Well, Heck Ya! [smilie=w:
These guys are Marines.... Oh Rah! I think when he brings them over i will possibly try to convert them to the world of Bright shinny GC Cast Boolits. Show him How nice they shoot out of the M1a and 300blk. At least plant the seed...

Smitty's Retired
11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
OK, The 23yrold kid just called me and said he has a couple buckets of WW and cig butts on the side of this house, Do i want them?
These guys are Marines.... Oh Rah! I think when he brings them over i will possibly try to convert them to the world of Bright shinny GC Cast Boolits. Show him How nice they shoot out of the M1a and 300blk. At least plant the seed...

Congrats on your score, and on your second chance with the ww's. I think you need to add him as a new shooting buddy. This way you can show him how well some of the evil cast boolits perform. Also might show him how clean they shoot. Then maybe later invite him over to show off your setup. I believe this would peak his interest.

gvanzeggelaar
11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Easy on us younguns now :). We don't all have prioreties in that order.

23 years old?

rush1886
11-29-2012, 07:37 PM
at 23 the only thing I could relate a lead bullet to was sex!!!! (
I second that.

jlchucker
12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
The dearest lessons are those learned the hardest. Take his stash, never let it bother you, and if he ever does turn away from the dark side, be a little magnanimous with him. @(;^]#>::: For when he *does* appreciate it, he will value it all the more, and then the sharing will be all the better.

Well put! That would be the best way to educate him. Otherwise, he'd probably just dump off that stash for scrap value long before he appreciates it, and that would be a true waste. Let him learn the hard way, and like you said, he'll value it all the more.

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Something must be wrong with me. I was casting my own for .38 and .30-30 before I discovered girls, and booze has always only been an occasional thing for me.

Quite a few girls have come and gone since then, but I still have the same moulds and guns (plus more of course), and they've never let me down.

Gear

HARRYMPOPE
12-02-2012, 12:39 AM
**** at 23 i was running 60-70 miles a week shooting highpower had been casting bullets for 4 years already.I didn't have time for beer or more than one girlfriend.I was a messed up kid i guess!

g-

HighHook
12-02-2012, 06:33 AM
At 23 we had no money to shoot the expensive factory stuff. Cast Boolits was Cheap shoot'in...

We would bring girl friends out to pick-up all the brass that people left behind and The alcohol would come later that night.:evil:

Kraschenbirn
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
When I turned 23, the only ammo I had was mil-spec FMJs...mostly fired from an M-60...and beer was definitely higher up on my priority list than sex 'cause there just weren't any 'available' women in that part of Viet Nam!

Bill

Centaur 1
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Check the bottom of your shoes, I think you stepped in something. Don't convert him too quickly, he'll want all his lead back. :bigsmyl2: