PDA

View Full Version : Best POI Load for both .357 and .38--same gun without adjusting sights

birch
11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I recently purchased a Colt Trooper MKIII. I then sold my Official Police .38 since I enjoy shooting the trooper more.

I have been trying to come up with a .357 load and a .38 load that shoot close to point of aim. It seems that I cannot come up with a happy inbetween that does not require some sort of sight adjustment.

I get the best accuracy out of my trooper with this:

I like shooting 7 grains of unique for .357 with 158lswc.
I like shooting 3.3grains of titegroup with the same bullet.

Does anyone have any advise.

Ben
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
As velocity and recoil change , so will the impact of the bullet down range.

I can't see a 158 gr. SWC at 1,150 fps and the same at 820 fps striking the center of the target together with the same point of aim.

I don't think that the laws of physics are going to be on your side on this one.

Ben

**oneshot**
11-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I agree with Ben. Even with the same caliber your POI will change as velocity increases due to recoil differences.

btroj
11-28-2012, 07:47 AM
My 357 is sighted in for the 38 special load because I shoot it far more. If I want to shoot some 357 I either hold off or adjust sights. I find it easier to just hold off.

Sight in with the load you shoot the most. I shoot 95% or more 38s so it isn't a tough call for me.

Getting the gun to shoot 2 very different loads to one sight setting isn't very likely.

fecmech
11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
You just have to move your sight up and down a few clicks depending on the load. Use whatever load you shoot the most as the base sight setting and when you switch loads click the rear sight up or down the required number of clicks to get to your other zero. On my dot sight I have 2 color coded settings, red for mags and green for specials. What I'm shooting determines the vertical setting. The flash kind of washed out the red at the bottom of the dial.

captaint
11-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Sometimes just plain old physics gets in the way.. You might try to use a lighter boolit for the .357 and/or a heavier boolit for the special. Then start playing with powder charges - a little at a time - ie, carefully. enjoy Mike

gwpercle
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Sometimes just plain old physics gets in the way.. You might try to use a lighter boolit for the .357 and/or a heavier boolit for the special. Then start playing with powder charges - a little at a time - ie, carefully. enjoy Mike
This is what handloading is all about...trying different bullet weights at different velocities to tailor loads for your specific needs. With just a bit of experimentation you could solve the problem then post your results for us to learn what worked out. Good luck and have some fun with it...... gary

Wolfer
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
It took some work but in my 45 colt Ruger with my heavy load hitting just above the front sight at 25 yds I got a lighter load with a lighter boolit to hit just below the front sight.
Just used Kaintucky windage from there.

MT Gianni
11-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Changing your 38 load to a heavier bullet might increase bbl time and result in a different printing group. It will be tought to do with the same bullet. That was what Elmer Keith liked about his 44 loads, the only one he found where his heavy and light loads printed the same.

birch
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Yup, that is what I was afraid of. I know that physics suggests I just plan on raising/lowering my rear sight, but I have found that some handloads print right or left depending on bullet weight and powder charge. I was just hoping somone might have a bullet weight/powder ratio that might make my experiment a little more intrinsic. Thanks for the input

fecmech
11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
but I have found that some handloads print right or left depending on bullet weight and powder charge.
I shoot 4 different bullet weights and 3 different velocities between my magnum and special loads but all I get is vertical change. My magnum is the 173 "Keith"@1250 fps. The .38's are Lee 130 RNFP and Lee 120 TC at 1000 fps and the H&G 158 RN@900 fps.