PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed: Eastfield Model 916-A S&W

John in WI
11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Hello Folks,
I posted a similar message to this one at Shotgunworld but didn't recieve any responses. A co-worker of my fiance was recently widowed and she has an Eastfield 916A that she wants to part with (which belonged to her late husband).

I know very little about them other than that in the 70's Smith was trying to get in to the shotgun market and came up with this thing. Most of the reviews on them don't speak real highly.

Anyone here have and shoot one? I guess all I'm really concerned about is reliability. If it's a bare bones but functional pump-action I would be interested. Are there any parts prone to break or impossible to find anymore?

Thanks for any input. From a quick internet scan it looks like $150-300 is the going rate depending on model. I haven't seen this one yet so I have no idea if it's a bare-bones slug gun, police or "riot" model...

izzyjoe
11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
i have one beside the bed, i cut the barrel to 18.5" for a HD shotgun. they hold 5+1 rds. they are not a very smooth operating shotgun, and they only have one action slide bar. i got mine for free, or otherwize i would'nt have bought it. look around in the pawnshop's and find a used mossberg 500, you'll be better off. there are no aftermarket part's for the 916, but plenty for the 500.

scb
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Look around in the pawnshop's and find a used mossberg 500, you'll be better off.

Excellent advice. (mossberg did make some single bar slides, I think most were under the "Revelation" name I'd stay away from them as well)

John in WI
11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info. A couple years back I beat you to it and found a nice used Mossy 500 and recently picked up a Mav 88 (with dual action bars) with a short barrel. The reviews all commented on the rough action these things had. That it was a more or less failed attempt by Smith to enter the police shotgun market (dominated by Remington and Mossberg). So I don't "need" this thing. I have 2 actions and a long and short shot and rifled and smooth slug barrel interchangeable between them. But who would complain about a "spare"? Especially in this case where I won't hear it from the Fiance because she is the one who brought it to my attention in the first place (helping a co-worker/friend)

If I can get it for a decent price I might take it just because. If nothing else to help out widow who just wants to see it end up in a good home and not a pawn shop. I do love my Mossy though. She's not a beauty queen, but built like a tank.

John in WI
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, it followed me home. The woman who's late husband owned it told me "just take it". She didn't even want payment for it. I think it was just a memory she no longer wanted in her house. To which I absolutely refused and gave her $150. Maybe too much, but I've spent $150 in worse ways than that.

You're right--it's a little disappointing when I put it side by side with the quality of my early '70's .38 (around the same year of manufacture). How could they build a wheel gun of that quality, but pump out a shotgun with a pretty rough action and gritty trigger? Probably why Rems and Mossys still ride in police cars and not Smiths.

Anyway, as a backup slug gun I'm sure it will be more than adequate. I'll get it out this weekend and see how it does. What also surprised me and what I didn't notice until just now is that it's rated only for 2 3/4 and not 3".