PDA

View Full Version : Front runner in Ugliest Star contest...

bootsnthejeep
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
So, found this gem while rooting thru a particular section of cultch in the garage with the old man over Thanksgiving. Forget what we were actually looking for, but I got sidetracked when I found this.

"Oh yeah!" He says. "VanDoren gave me that. I forgot I even had it."

VanDoren was one of Dad's friends/mentors while he was out in California in the late 50s, early 60s in the Escondido area. Looks like it was pretty well used even at that point. I'm not sure how it could have undergone this kind of damage in use, I gotta think this was dropped or used for earthquake testing or something.

You can see where the cross-bolt bracket has been broken off and brazed back on. Looks like my dad's work, but he wouldn't cop to it. The pivot arm in the back has been re-built and beefed up. And the base is broken in half, with the rear section completely missing.

I initially thought it was in pretty sad shape, but the more I mess with it and clean things up, I think it looks like it should be able to be made serviceable again. I don't think I'll abandon pan lubing just yet tho.

Any thoughts on the vintage of this thing?

seagiant
11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi,
Hmmmm.......

bootsnthejeep
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
You've got a whole base! It's practically a centerpiece!

seagiant
11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Boots,
I bought this lubesizer in a group of three. The other 2 were a lot newer probably 70's models. I would date this one back to the 30's the guy I bought them from wanted $85 for the 2 and gave me this one for parts as "it didn't work", five minutes back in my shop and I had it going and it now lubes my 45 ACP boolits! Which I use quite a bit of!

runfiverun
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
the only way to break a star like that is to try sizing down jaxketed bullets in it.
[walks away whistling]

bootsnthejeep
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Hey, those darn 45-70 pills were too big around to chamber in that auto rim, what ELSE were we going to do?

SeaGiant, which one are we talking about? Got a small herd of em on the hood of your truck there.

seagiant
12-01-2012, 12:01 AM
SeaGiant, which one are we talking about? Got a small herd of em on the hood of your truck there.
Hi Boots,
The one second from the right is the same one up above that was thrown in a deal because it did not work! The first one on the left is not a Star but a Phelps and cost me $100 in a Gunsmiths shop. It is an excellent clone and I would buy them all day for $100 and probably retire within a year for what they go for on E-bay!!!