PDA

View Full Version : New...with many questions .38 Colt Officers Model and cast bullets

utbrowningman
11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I recently started reloading for my .30-06 and have kept all brass from my .38 Colt (ca. 1915) Officers Model 6". This is a well-used revolver as the checkering has been worn smooth but may have had barrel replacement as the wearing of the bluing is not consistent when looking at the barrel and frame. I've shot factory lead round nose and factory jacketed bullets. I read somewhere that said I should only be using lead bullets. Is there truth to this statement?

I have not bought the dies yet but will pick up the Lee set this week. I have Universal powder and small pistol primers and plenty of brass so I just need the die set. I see that cast bullets come as .358 and jacketed or plated are .357. Does this matter? Does the powder choice matter whether cast or jacketed? I've been looking at the Hornady LSWC or LRN available at Cabela's. A local shop has Bumble Bee Cast .358 500 count for around $25 so that is attractive. Those bullets appear to have a lube ring (on 9mm that was open) so I assume the .38 also has the same ring. Is this a lube ring which then means the bullet does not require lube?

Any pet loads with the Universal? I went with that powder as load data showed lower pressure than others. I'm sure the revolver can handle higher pressure as factory loads (what is their pressure?) have been used but I just want to be on the safe side as this was my grandfather's and would like to eliminate any kaboom potential.

smkummer
11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I have 4 issues of the officers model in 38 and one in 22. They are great shooting guns and the 6" barrel is the best usable barrel. We usually shot a plus P load that propells a Lee TL158-SWC out at 900 FPS. It is our do everything load out to 100 yards. In the early 1980's Colt stated that if the gun was post WW1 it was OK for plus P 38. So use your own judgement on firing those loads in your gun. It was a blanket statement that included the smaller frame police postive special.

I am still using good old unique that gives preformance on par with universal and its a good powder especially with a 6 in. barrel. A .358 diameter lead bullet works well out of my 20 someting models of Colt single and double action revolvers chambered in 38 special or .357.

rintinglen
11-28-2012, 03:03 AM
If it is a 1915 gun, it is still an Army Special, not an Official Police Officer's Model. Those are Dandy guns. I have one in nickle, with a 5 inch barrel. It is scarry acurate with standard velocity 38 Specials. I use 4.0 grains of Unique or 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a 358-311 158 rn, but Hogdon lists Universal with charges from 3.5-4.5 grains for 158 grain SWC's. Universal seems to give about the same results as Unique, so it should work well in this application.

bob208
11-28-2012, 01:40 PM
i would not use +p loads in it . i would use cast lead with loads at about 800 fps. i would use the swc bullets 158 gr.

hanover67
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
I also have a Colt Officers Model .38 Special. I slugged my barrel and found it had a .353" groove diameter. As a result, I cast either a Lyman 35863 148gr wadcutter, or a 358495 wadcutter both sized to .354". Older Colts sometimes have a tight barrel. Powder is 3.0gr of Bullseye, and this load is very accurate for 25-yard target shooting. I've tried 158gr LSWC's, but they were not as accurate. My gun was made in 1919 and I consider it to be a target revolver and don't use it for anything else. I wouldn't use +P ammunition in it myself, only the handloads described.

utbrowningman
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Correction on the .38 - the barrel is 7.5" and the date of manufacture is late 1911 or early 1912 according to Proofhouse. I know that +P is a no no. That is the main reason I went with Universal as the pressure is lower. I'd like to slug the barrel. Do I just pound a fishing weight through with a wood dowel? Do I measure land to land or groove to groove?