PDA

View Full Version : how do i make a speed loader for a tube fed 22?

trickyasafox
06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
this board seems to have an abundance of smart, thrifty people. has anyone here made a speedloader for a tube fed 22 rifle? mainly i'd like to know what diameter tubes you used, how you mounted them together. . . well i guess thats the works of it.

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

mike

45nut
06-19-2007, 11:41 PM
I read somewhere that the large milkshake size straws from mickey-d's will hold about a dozen rounds. Use a rubber band to hold the rounds on each end or seal one end off permanently.
At the range you just remove the rubber band and let them slip in the tube via gravity.

YMMV, I do not have any straws or tube fed 22's to test this.

Urny
06-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I bought soft, flexible plastic tubing, 3/8" maybe, cut to length, plug one end with a bit of silicone sealant, the other with a disposable ear plug. Cheap, quick and no great skill required.

45nut
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Well two smart thrifty answers within a minute of each other ought to help.
Way to go Urny, I bet those last a good long time.

44woody
06-19-2007, 11:56 PM
I do not remember where I got them but I got some aluminum tubing that a 22 would fit in loose I had about 20 of them got a cap solder on one end and a pin on the other end you would pull to load your 22 with or you might find some copper tubing that would work :castmine: 44Woody

trickyasafox
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
thanks guys! appreciate the help!

floodgate
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
fox:

If you want something more permanent, go to the local model shop and pick out a piece of K&S brass (or aluminum) tubing of the right size from the display rack. Plug or pinch one end closed, find a cork or whittle a wooden plug for the other end.

floodgate

Bigscot
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I have used the brass tubing in the past. Soldered 2 pieces together to get the proper length to hold enough to fill the guns magazine. Drill a small hole in one or both ends and insert a cotter pin or one of those pins where one side goes through the hole and the other side with a hump goes around the outside like the ones used on primer pickup tubes.

Bigscot

scrapcan
06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
you might be able to use brake line tubing, off the top of my head I can't remember what diameter it comes in, but I think it comes in 1 foot increments of length. You can go to you rlocal Napa and ask around. You could also use plastic airbrake line and drill a hole for pin in each end.

I think the above types of tubing might be more expensive than most thrifty people would consider, but a dollar well spent is a dollar well spent.

DLCTEX
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I use the plastic 3/8 hose (clear), silicone one end, large safety pin through hole drilled through other end attaches to belt and holds rounds in. Quiet, durable, and economical. Dale

fourarmed
06-21-2007, 02:25 PM
This isn't quite what you asked, but there's a way to greatly speed the loading of a tube magazine with loose ammo. Rotate the tube about 100 degrees so that you can lay the shells in the groove between the barrel and magazine, and slide them to the loading port. High Standard .22 rifles used to be made this way, and I have modified several other brands likewise. Usually all you have to do is drill a new hole for the screw or pin that holds the tube to the receiver.