PDA

View Full Version : The most desirable brand of Shot Shell Primers is?

Just Duke
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I know primers for metallic rifle reloading depends on what your doing with it. i.e. Gold Medal Match Primers for rifle is most always preferred for match rifle ammo.
So what is the preferred brands for shot shells? Myself I'm thinking Winchester for our Remington STS Hulls the wife and I acquired but I'm open to suggestions. I'm ordering this mourning so were hoping we get several responses. ;)
TIA,
Duke and Barbie.

turmech
11-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I try not to subsitute primers listed in shotgun data. In my case I have the most data for win 209 primers so that is what I buy.

bradh
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Been using nothing but WIN 209's for thirty years = no problems.

Just Duke
11-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I try not to subsitute primers listed in shotgun data. In my case I have the most data for win 209 primers so that is what I buy.

I just checked and yes your right.

Bren R.
11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Exactly this. In my notes, I list loads with NON-Winchester primers with the primer called for in red just to draw my attention to them since the W209 is so ubiquitous.

Bren R.

phaessler
11-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I used to use CCI for everything , but they changed thier construction, so now its just Win for me also...

Pete

kullas
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Win is what i use

Buttonbuck
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Winchester is most popular but they sell out frequently. Is there a direct replacement for them? I think I will buy 1K next time I buy supplies.

jimb16
11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
1K? I buy at least 5K whenever I buy.

35remington
11-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Don't forget the weather conditions and your loading.

It is more and more popular to load 7/8 ounce loads in 12 gauge, and some are even loading 3/4 ounce, including me. The problem with this is that it is lighter than 12 gauges normally shoot, and the pressures aren't all that high. Add in a cold day, soak the shells outside in your pickup until they are good and cold and you have a recipe for off sounding shots, higher velocity variation and dirtier burning. Which means the pressures and ignition are so problematic you're on the verge of a blooper.

Shotshell pressures are among the lowest in handloading, and it doesn't pay to push pressure too low in the cold.

Sometimes the only thing needed to help is a hotter primer, as in the Federal 209A or CCI 209M. These are your friends while hunting in extreme conditions as well with some (certainly not all) load combinations.

As far as "hotness" of primers, Fiocchi has some of the mildest, Remington is next, and Winchester is middle of the road. The mentioned two primers above, the 209A and 209M, are the hottest.

I use Winchester the most, as I like driving down the middle of that road. But you can bet there are some 209A's and 209M's in my stash as well, and that will never change. Choose your loads and pressures wisely and the Winchester primer can do for everything. But flirt with light shot charges or low pressures or slow burning powders in the cold and a hotter primer option makes a better performing load possible.

Sometimes "hotter" is good.

OnHoPr
11-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Depends on where you live and your intended use, such as seasons and hunting or trap loads. I have always been a CCI user, but not exclusively.:Fire:

ovendoctor
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Winchester here for everything

Doc.

Bren R.
11-28-2012, 01:58 PM
As far as "hotness" of primers, Fiocchi has some of the mildest, Remington is next, and Winchester is middle of the road. The mentioned two primers above, the 209A and 209M, are the hottest.

I second that list, And I'd add Cheddite primers in around Remington primers - though they do mike a bit larger than standard 209s.

Bren R.

TonyfromItaly
11-28-2012, 03:16 PM
in Italy we have fiocchi 614 (low) 615 (medium) 616 (high)

or Nobel Sport 684 686 688.

high power primers we use for slow burning powders, low power primers for fast burning powders or to decrease pressure from heavvy customized loads with slow burning powders.

unfortunately win 209 are not available here, since they are know to be the most consistent of all. Winchester has mastered the primers' quality.

Rick N Bama
11-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a couple boxes of CCI 209M with the remainder being Winchester.

Rick

mtgrs737
11-29-2012, 12:41 AM
I try and pick loadings that will generate at least 9000 psi and I do prefer Winchester 209 primers using them exclusively for many years now. If you will be shooting in cold weather I suggest you pick loadings that are over 10,000 psi to avoid off sounding reports and performance. Just stick to the reloading manuals or online powder company loadings and you will not have to worry about high pressures wrecking your shotgun.

Vinne
12-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Been using Wolf Primers this year and see no problems...the price is right too!!

Nix
12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Used CCI 209's for two years, then switched to Winchester 209's for the same reason most folks here seem to have; far more load data available for it. I've never noticed much of a difference as far as accuracy or reliability goes.

longbow
12-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Well, I will say that the most desirable brand of primer is the correct one for the job... according to the recipe.

There can be a tremendous amount of variation in "poop" between brands and all shotgun primers are not the same.

According to my reloading manuals a change of primer brand can result in up to 3000 PSI increase in pressure. If the load is low pressure to start with then not a problem but if it is a max load then could well be.

The opposite is also true. The load could be a low pressure load with a "hot" primer and you substitute a cooler primer and get a blooper.

Tom Armbrust has an interesting article about this here:

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

Longbow

DrBill33
12-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Cheddite is my first choice. Great consistency

LUBEDUDE
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
For years it was Win, then I found Rem to be more reliable. Now with a lot of winter shooting with light loads, as 35Remington mentitoned, Fed is hotter, So I do Fed for all.

poco loco
12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
anyone use the Rio primers? I picked up a sleeve because of price and there is very little data that uses them. Anyone who can tell me their equivalent in a common primer?

Thanks in advance.....

longbow
12-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Never heard of Rio primers before so looked at their website. They have a little reloading info as you probably know but do not suggest an equivalent or give a comparison to other brands.

Oddly they say that their primers "Designed to work with the majority of existing powders on the market..." but give very few load recipes.

No ideas. Sorry.

Longbow

sargenv
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I subbed them for Winchester in target loads and have not found any difference.. I did however pick a target load with lower pressure than usual (something in the 8500 psi range) in case they were a bit hotter. I've done this on many occasions without any issues.. when it seems to be an issue is when trying to ignite large amounts of slow burning propellants (Think Alliant Steel or Blue Dot) at lower temperatures is where I've run into "poof" loads.

mtgrs737
12-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Which ever your loading data calls for. I have used Winchester 209's for years with no problems in my target loads. More importantly you should follow the loading data to make sure you don't go over the pressure limits and do some damage to your gun or you. I would select a load that works for the type of shooting your doing and the temps that you will be doing it in. In cold weather 40 degrees or less I would select a load that generates at least 9500psi and a Winchester, Federal 209A, or CCI 209M primer as those are the hottest and will help to insure good powder burn. I don't load any targets loads that don't generate at least 9000 psi even for the hot summer leagues which have been well over 100 degrees. Like a diesel engine, heat and pressure are your friend at ensuring a good strong burn of the powder.

LUBEDUDE
12-29-2012, 09:31 PM
The good thing going for Rio is price! However, they are a few thousandths larger in diameter. So you may not be able to go back to WinRemFedCCI without experiencing slippage/fallout, in the same hulls. i.e., they stretch the primer pockets.

This is why I haven't taken advantage of the deep discounts out there.

6pt-sika
12-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I used WIN209's exclusively when I shot trap and skeet all the time . Used them in everything from the 10 gauge to the 410 with NO PROBLEMS .

Since I got outta the shotgun games I've been using CCI209 in the short 10 gauge , 12 , 16 and 20 . I also keep CCI209M's , they get used mostly in my muzzle loaders but also sometimes in the short 10 winter dove/squirrel loads .

To be honest I have no issue with using CCI or WIN primers in the same loads . But then none of my shotgun loads are pushing the envelope .