PDA

View Full Version : Can Ya'll check this recipe for me?

HeadLead
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Hello All. New member and excited to be here. Just getting into casting but have been re-loading for many years. I just finished with a session where I used:

62# of lead procured from a local hospital (25# + 26# bricks and an 11# brick)
8.4# of RM-Super Hard
1 & 1/2lb of 95/5 lead free solder (tin/antimony).

I ended up with quite a few muffin tin ingots and will test hardness after a few days.

As I am new to casting, I am not certain what the actual end result is for the recipe noted above. I believe it should come close to RB alloy number 7 or 8 maybe. Can anyone out yonder offer some input on this creation?

Look forward to being a member and getting to know you all.

Salute! :drinks:

Fathersalt
11-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I got 2.2% Tin, 3.6% Antimony, 94.2% Pb. BHN=12.6
Thats what my calculator said.
I based that on stick on wheel weight lead which isnt quite pure. Just assumed the lead you had probably is not 100% Pb.
It just hit me you said the lead came from a hospital, so I ran the calculator again based on isotope lead in ingot form.
I got 4.14% Tin, 5.15% Antimony, 90% Pb. BHN=15.1
Welcome aboard.

runfiverun
11-26-2012, 11:08 PM
i'd base it on pure lead.
the first figure is close enough i'd lower the tin # a little though.
whatever it is, it's what you have, make some boolits and shoot.

bumpo628
11-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Lemme punch those numbers into the ol alloy calculator...(see link below)
You've got an alloy with: 2% tin, 3.6% antimony, and 94.4% lead.
The hardness should be between 12-13 Brinell.

HeadLead
11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks to the folks who have replied.

The lead was in brick form and was donated by the hospital Cyclotron Technician so I do believe it is close to straight pb.

bumpo: I ran the numbers using your calculator. I like the thing a lot and will use it often I hope. I will check the BHN in a few more days and report back.

Oh, when I got all alloys combined into a nice soup, I had almost no dross (less than 1/4 of what I had expected). I never ran my temp above 690F. either.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Salute! :drinks: