PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 1911 ???

lonewolf5347
06-19-2007, 08:21 PM
TAURUS 1911 45 AUTO
I like to here from guys who own this gun what are you pro or cons?
I am in the market for a 1911 seem a few gun makers are on my mind like
SPRINGFIELD RIA i DON'T HERE YO MUCH ON THE FULL SIZE RUGER 1911:coffee:

emptyhead
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM
I picked one up about six months ago and love it. I can tell you from my browsing around on the internet about %80-%20 people who like or hate it %80 loving it.There are some issues with the finish, it wears a little quicker then most. Watch what you pay for it there going up in price quick. I payed about 480.00 plus tax.I don't think that they will come down in price. I think theyarea real good deal for the price.

HCL
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a Springfield M1911A1, really like it. Smooth operation, seams to be very reliable through some pretty hard temprature differances, and differant boolit styles (though wad cutters gives it fits). Dont have any complaints at all, but at somepoint the Tritium sights would be a nice addition.
I have been eyeballing that Taurus, they sure put alot of features on a factory gun that would cost you a chunk of change to get on differant maufacuter.
I will most likely pick one up down the road, cant have too many guns!
Mike

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I got a chance to shoot one and an sti spartan together last week. They were both good guns for the money but the fit and accuracy edge went to the sti. Both were more guns for the money then any springfield i ever owned. To bad there foriegn made but then so is a springfield i guess. Ill stick to my colts kimbers and american made stis. YOu can get a good gun for a grand with any of those three brands anyway. Now i suppose ill start a kimber vs colt vs springfield battle here. All i know is ive had multiple examples of all of them and if anothe springfield came into this house it would have to be given to me and then it wouldnt stay long.

lonewolf5347
06-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I just went and did it today and purcased a 1911 mil-spec springfield 45 cal.seem the decision was tuff to make due only reason was I also held a real nice taurus 1911 side by side.The Taurus was super nice and tight as a drum had a lot of extra options ,seem it was the best one I seen so far on display.
The SA had the upgraded barrel and bushing up graded sights and like the dealer said the warranty it the best there is no questions asked don't even has to pay the shipping springfield takes care of it all the way..
The price was $599.00 for the SA and the taurus was $615.00 just could not see spending the extra $$ bucks for the taurus,hope I made the right choice

wiljen
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
The only complaint I have with the taurus 1911 is the magazines are crap - once you pitch those and get some McCormicks, Wilsons, etc. its a good gun and well worth the Money. Mine shoots great with 5gr of Bullseye behind a Lyman 452374.

trickyasafox
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
lonewolf- i have a milspec in stainless, it's been great to me. mine doesn't really like wadcutters, but i haven't played with it enough yet to rule them out. it flew up the charts as my favorite handgun really quickly. i hope your as happy with yours as i was with mine

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 10:12 PM
thats about a given for any out of the box 1911. I use chip mccormicks wilsons and megars. IMO wilson makes the best 45 mag and megar makes the best 9mm 1911 mag. McCorrmicks are good to but most of my McCormicks now have wilson springs and followers in them anyway so i figure i might just as well buy the wilsons from the get go.
The only complaint I have with the taurus 1911 is the magazines are crap - once you pitch those and get some McCormicks, Wilsons, etc. its a good gun and well worth the Money. Mine shoots great with 5gr of Bullseye behind a Lyman 452374.

monadnock#5
06-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I bought the Taurus 1911 clone in May, and so far so good. It feeds the the 452374, and everything else so far, just fine. I have no idea how it compares to the high dollar makes and models, as I don't have any of those. IMHO, any gun that costs $2000.00 or better, has got to be fundamentally capable of of hitting the 10 ring at 600 yards more often than not.

Crash_Corrigan
06-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I read all the reviews in the gunzines and I liked what I saw. But I wanted to see one in my hand before I laid down my bucks. Last summer my gunsmith got one. Just one. He would'nt sell it even though I begged and grovelled. :( I had to wait until November to get it. I had it for about a month before we went shootin. My buddy liked mine so much that he ran down and bought one and we went to the range. His was wonderful. Mine had 5 failures to fire where the empty ejected and the fresh round loaded just fine. However the hammer was left on half cock! I thumbed back the hammer and it shot just fine. In the same hundred rounds of factory 230 gr ammo the danged thing fired twice with one trigger pull. Another time it let go three rounds. The final straw was when it let go four rounds like a machine gun. Great gun!:confused: It took it back to my gunsmith and he guessed that it had a bad sear or a problem with the trigger. He gave me a brand new gun!!!
He sent back the 1911 to Taurus and they sent the same gun back 6 weeks later and said that they had to replace the sear and that I should have used only standard factory ammo not +P's. Trouble is that these were standard el cheapo American Eagle 230 FMJ hardball that the range sold for $11 a box (probably cost them $8) and these were not +P's at all. My gunny said that Taurus probably just said that to justify their shortcoming. In either case the 2nd 1911 has eaten everything I have put through it with out a burp. :castmine: My cast RN and SWC feed and shoot great! :Fire: I am getting outstanding groups down to less than one inch at 25 yds and I am punching the 10 or x ring out at 15 yds in rapid fire. :drinks: I can't wait to try it out in our Love That Steel competition. This is a good company and a great gun. I also have a liteweight M 85 in .38 SP which is my concealed carry gun. I like it better that either my old Chiefs Special or Colt Detective Special but I regret selling my S & W Model 10 with the 2" bbl and round butt. That gun was a really great shooter. I carried it for 15 years as my off duty gun in NYC and I really liked that 6th shot and the solid feel of the heavy frame. All in all Taurus is a fine company and I think that they will be the biggest firearms company in the world within 10 years.
Dan

50 Caliber
07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
We have sold about 6 in our shop, all seem satisfied. We had one fellow who wanted a scope mounted on his, so I mounted a scope and gave it a preliminary sighting in, got 1" groups from it at 30 yds with Remington Golden Sabers.
Not to shabby I dont thing for a factory Lower scale 1911.

45r
07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
My basic model kimber 45 is shooting 2 inch groups at 45 yards with the rcbs 201 swc.I'd buy another kimber for sure if I wanted another 1911.