PDA

View Full Version : mauser thread diameter?

Bullshop
11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Could someone tell me if the minor thread diameter on a large ring mauser is large enough to make major diameter on a small ring?
I am looking at a barrel with large ring thread but want to rethread to small ring without shortening if possible.

leftiye
11-27-2012, 05:44 AM
I'm pretty sure it will. The small ring (93) is 1.0X12 tpi (both measurements are inch system). I believe the 98s are 1.2 major diameter threads. I'll check tomorrow to be sure. If worse came to worse, you could cut the threaded shank off and etc., but I don't think that will be necessary. As an aside, when rechambering a Rem or wthrby 7mm mag to 7mm mauser you end up cutting most of the chamber off of the 7 mag. because the shoulder on a belted mag is almost the .473 case head diameter or the 7mm Mauser. Better of you could find a .280 Rem barrel (fat chance of that though).

flounderman
11-27-2012, 08:47 AM
you can use remington takeoff barrels and thread under the remington threads. I do it for the turk actions. You can rethread a large to a small. thread pattern is the same. You can, use a model 70 and some of the threads will have a mark from the winchester threads because it is an inch shank and different finer threads. It just depends if you want a military type barrel or commercial.

Bullshop
11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
leftiye
When you say Weatherby do you mean the Howa made Weatherby?

leftiye
11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Just one I picked up from Gunbroker. Could have been a Howa, was called Weatherby, but has no markings. Issue is that the mag chamber has to be all but cut off to make a 7X57 on that barrel. If as Flounderman says (and I do believe him) the thread pitch is the same on a 98 barrel, and if you can set up to cut the same thread deeper (not too hard to do, and doesn't have to be perfect, the cutting will make it perfect) - then all one would have to do would be to reduce size by threading.

Rojelio
11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Large ring thread major diameter is 1.1". Small ring is .980"