PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Rock Chucker

John-n-va
11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Got an old Rock Chucker from possom813 on the for sale forum. He had bought it at a yardsale and the ram was frozen in the press. He finally got it out but the ram was buggered up and the pin wouldn't go back in. He finally got frustrated and gave me a good deal on it. I tried to repair the ram without success. Called RCBS and was surprised it was still available for a 42 year old press, but was REALLY surprised when they said there would be no charge!!!! From this point forward ALL my reloading purchases will be RCBS! Unbelievable customer service!!!!:bigsmyl2:

seagiant
11-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi,
Luckily for us this is a typical RCBS CS story! I'm trying to rebuild a bad shape frozen up Green Machine and called RCBS for some small parts and was still able to get most of what
I needed. The press was in such bad shape this has turned into a labor of love ,but would be almost impossible without the small parts and especially the springs! Oh yea,this pic just shows after rust removal and freeing up,now comes the reblueing and painting!

hunter64
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I have an RCBS JR I bought new in 1972. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I reloaded with it, I bought a Rock Chucker in 1984 and put the JR into retirement. Well this spring my son wanted his own set to start so I brought out the JR press and the ram had a bit of slop in it. I emailed RCBS and two weeks later a new ram was in my hands free of charge. Great service for sure.

jfischer
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I have a 3 year old RCBS, nice to know that if it breaks they will take care of it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

ROGER4314
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
My version of RCBS CS is similar. They are more than fair!

Dillon has done very well for me, too as I repaired several old presses and upgraded an RL450 to RL550 features. I added auto primer, powder and eject features and changed the 450 frame to the new 550 replaceable tool head frame. Those parts were not free. If you upgrade....you pay. If you repair broken or seized parts....they pay.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker that has been in almost continuous use for over 25 years and it's still ticking.

I acquired a Rock Chucker that was in good condition but someone had painted it a color similar to Dillon Blue. Having a spare Rock Chucker is NOT a liability so I decided to slick it up!

I found the perfect match for RCBS green! Walmart cheap spray cans ($1.00/can) Kelly Green #25002. The match is almost perfect and the price is right!

Seagiant.........That Green Machine is massive! It looks like a metal punch press from industry! No one builds things like that any more! It was made to last.

Flash

Gunfreak25
11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I wish I could find good deals like this. I'd love an old Rock Chucker!

curiousgeorge
11-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I have 2 old rockchuckers, one from 1969 and the other from 1972. I picked them both up within the last 10 years.

The RCBS customer service people (Dora Paul, I miss you!!!) are fantastic. They helped me with any part that was missing or so badly damaged that it had to be replaced. I have LOTS & LOTS of GREEN on my reloading benches.

Steve

Gunfreak25
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
:confused: So can I have one?

L1A1Rocker
11-27-2012, 10:07 PM
What's older; a rock chucker with a black handle or green handle?

MT Chambers
11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Black round ball handle is def. newer than green plastic bike handle type.

L1A1Rocker
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Black round ball handle is def. newer than green plastic bike handle type.

I mean to say, black plastic bike handle. It looks just like the green one but it is black.

ROGER4314
11-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Both of my Rock Chuckers have the green handles. I bought the first one at least 25 and perhaps as much as 30 years ago. It's been a lot of places!

Flash

Hardcast416taylor
11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I bought an old RC press at a yard sale about 25 years back. The op handle was rusty and the green bike handle grip was half cut off. I cleaned up the rust, removed the rest of the grip then threaded the end of the rod and put on a 2" wood round ball painted green. Still working after all these years, the paint has worn off the wood knob in areas but it looks like it belonged there all along.Robert

L1A1Rocker
11-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Both of my Rock Chuckers have the green handles. I bought the first one at least 25 and perhaps as much as 30 years ago. It's been a lot of places!

Flash

I know the black handled one is old, it was my late Fathers. I can recall sitting in his lap as a child "helping" him reload at the kitchen table. That would be about 40 years back.

Pressman
11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Take an 1-1/2" wrench and remove the die insert. The two numbers under it are the year your RC was made beginning in 1967.
Ken

Uncle R.
11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a JR press that my daddy bought for me (lemme count on my fingers here a bit) right near 43 years ago. It has loaded many tens of thousands of rounds and it's still tight and straight. I don't really baby it but I do clean and oil the ram and pivot points every couple of years if I happen to think of it. I still use it on a regular basis, and the last time I checked my .223 cartridges for concentricity they showed less than .001" TIR runout at the case neck. This with plain old RCBS small base dies. Gotta love Big Green!
<
I only wish a lot of other products were designed and manufactured with such quality and durability.
<
The year of manufacture would have been 1969 give-or-take, and the bicycle style handle is green.
Uncle R.

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a rockchucker from the 80's the one with the round ball. I always kept it clean and gun oil on the ram and
it got nothing but smoother over the years, it really doesn't have that many thousand rounds on it
but you cannot discern any play in it, I mean any. They made a fine press with the rockchucker.