PDA

View Full Version : Smelting pot recomendations

BACKTOSHOOTING
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm getting ready to start smelting and have gotten a hold of a rusty cast iron pot of 10" bottom and 12" top with a lid that was quite rusty. I wire wheled it thoughly and need to know if i need to treat it with anything to season it first before melting any lead so it dosen contaminate the lead.

Any outher things that i need to do ?

Thanks Steve

Vinne
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Not really Steve. Any rust left will float to the top. The only problem I know about is when something Teflon coated is used. A friend used Teflon coated cupcake pans to form ingots for his bottom-pour pot. The ingots stuck like glue to the Teflon and made a big mess.

Put the metal in and add anything else to the mix that will make up the type of boolit formula you want (like wheel weights, linotype, 50/50 bar solder and or range waste). After the mixture melts, remove the trash from the top and flux it to mix everything well. Flux every quarter hour or so to keep the boolits all the same.

Use gloves and a face shield for protection and don't overload the pot the first time out. Always let everything cool down well before touching the pot or ingots!!

Hope this helps, Vinne

BACKTOSHOOTING
11-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Vinne, This helps alot, :D and unfortunatly i had 10lbs of pure lead ingots and just had to test my new 10lb Lee drip-o-matic to see how it worked and cast that into a wally world tin muffin pan. :groner:
To get them out i used a hammer and the cup seperated from the top frame section, Can i just throw this into my smelting pot when i mix my led so the tin cup will come off and clean out the debri ?

Thanks Steve

Vinne
11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Yes...the lead will melt away and the rest will float to the top. I guess they don't make those pans like they use to!!!

zuke
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the casting club!