PDA

View Full Version : How stuff works- 'Lead' episode on Netflix, cool show

mjwcaster
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I was just surfing on Netflix and started watching the 'How stuff works' Series, very cool show.
I just started an episode on our beloved lead.
Netflix has it listed as Season 2 episode 6.
I've just skimmed it so far, but it looks like a neat episode.

What other shows are there about lead that people have liked?

Matt

Charlie Two Tracks
11-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't believe I have ever seen one. Netflix and "How It's Made are great. I've watched a bunch of them.

Trey45
11-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I just watched it on Netflix! Very interesting.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-28-2012, 01:47 AM
I watched it a few months ago, seeing all those ingots left me with a real bad case of "ingot envy" :(

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2012, 07:03 AM
I watched it a few months ago, seeing all those ingots left me with a real bad case of "ingot envy" :(

I guess it is a good thing I do not know what a Net Fix is. On the other hand since I remove my fish by hand I do not need a Net so will never have to Fix it.[smilie=s:

mjwcaster
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
First off what other good shows about lead have you seen? There have to be some.
-----
I wish the show had talked about old time smelting of ore and compared it to the new style that they did cover.
What I don't get is why they have to do all the the chemical cleaning in the ore smelting, floating lead (sulfide?) out of a vat. Why not just heat the rocks up to lead melting temperature and collect the lead.
Does the chemical process yield a much cleaner product?
What chemicals are they using?

It was cool to find out that automotive style batteries are almost all completely recycled.
Now if they had only mentioned the dangers in smelting batteries, because I'm sure that some more people will watch this and think it's a great source of lead.

And I also wish they had talked more about the dangers of the different forms of lead, not just said 'this little bit is enough to poison 12 familys'.
It did make me do a little reading on Acute (short term) lead poisoning and I found that around 200 people have died from it in the US, seems like remodeling lead painted homes is a bit of an issue.

The Sierra bullet segment was really cool, need a whole show on just making bullets and boolits.

The series is neat, even my 7 year old likes it. I just wish they went even more in depth. But it still beats a reality show. She even like the episode on 'how whiskey made america', even though she didn't understand a lot of it (I stopped drinking whiskey in my early 20's).
I think her favorite so far is the Corn episode. Anything with tractors and combines is cool.

Matt