PDA

View Full Version : Little Snowy Mountain whitetail

Beerd
11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
It’s days like this that remind me why I think still hunting is such a hoot.

About mid-morning on Saturday I was working my way through the timber when I came across what appeared to be a fresh scrape. Thinking there was nothing to lose, I blew a couple of doe bleats on a deer call, surprised at how loud they sounded on the still air. After waiting a few minutes I continued on. Taking 6 or 8 steps I stopped and caught some motion out of the corner of my eye. At first all I could see were four legs heading my direction. Then I could make out the body of a deer and finally some antlers. Judging by the way he was traveling I would have a clear view when he passed across a small window in the ponderosa pine about 60 yards out. Dropping to one knee and chambering a round I got ready. He kicked at the shot and took off, running maybe 40 yards and stopping in some thick stuff. He looked kind of sick but before I could put a second bullet in him he made one last jump and piled up.
The rifle is a re-bored Marlin chambered in .356 Win.
Bullet was from a 220 grain group buy mould styled after the RCBS 35-200.
Felix Loob & Gator Checks.
Varget powder pushes the two alloy Bruce B Soft Point to around 2,300 ft/sec.

Bullshop
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Just dog gone nice all the way round!!! Nice buck nice rifle and a nice boolit well suited for the job.
Oh and a nice ending to a nice story.

delta1
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Ah yes tenderloins frying in the pan with onions, nothing better. Well done sir.

OnHoPr
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I wish I could get bucks to pose like that for me with their rifles. Must of done some good calling. Ya did good.:drinks:

Doc Highwall
11-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice story, congratulations! What caliber was the rifle originally and who rebored it to 356 Winchester?
What was the cost and turn around time?

bayjoe
11-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Man, that's a nice buck!!!
Good job

jixxerbill
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
nice buck bud!..

Thumbcocker
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Excellent.

white eagle
11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
hey wtg thats the way its done excellent

RugerFan
11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
That's a dandy buck!

TXGunNut
11-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Nicely done. Congrats!

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-27-2012, 01:21 AM
I've been near the Snowys several times, but never hunted them.
Looks like you know how. Great job!

starmac
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Nice job. Can we hear more about your boolits and how it performed, especially about meat damage.

smoked turkey
11-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Very nice buck. Looks like you did everything just right. Congradulations. Good caliber. I don't hear much about it. However I can see that it does good on big bucks.

Viper225
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
You did a good job.
I would guess you had a 35 Remington 336 converted to 356 Winchester?
Interesting to know what was required to get that done.
I would guess that you already have a Lifetime Supply of Brass for it?
I put back some additional 375 Winchester a while back. My 35 Bullberry Contender barrel uses 375 Winchester as the parent case.
The 307, 356, and 375 Winchester are all a little scarce to locate brass for.
I had a NIB 99 Savage 375 Win several years ago. I had my gunsmith clean out all the metal shavings, and clean the trigger up and knock some burrs off it. I kept it unfired and let a collector have it several years ago. I probably should have hunted with it. It would have made a great cast bullet gun.

Bob

waksupi
11-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Nice buck. I like the Little Snowys!

Beerd
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you all for the complements.

The Marlin was originally a 30-30. I had the re-boring and chambering done by Jesse Ocumpaugh in Cottage Grove, Oregon. Turn-around time was two or three weeks, I can find no fault with his work.
J.E.S. website is 35caliber.com

My hunting bullets are cast of two alloys, a 70 gr pure lead nose with the remainder a mix of wheel weight & linotype. I use Bruce B’s method for “Making soft point bullets with any mould”. Casting details are in a sticky and on castpics. The bullet on this smallish deer broke a rib going in, took out both lungs & the tip of the heart and broke a rib & the off shoulder on exiting. Blood shot tissue, while not excessive, may have been caused by bone fragments and/or bullet expansion. I am beginning to re-think my need for these two alloy bullets. Since I only have a few left from my original casting session 5 years ago I am going to experiment with different alloys and annealing treatments between now and next fall.

The Little Snowy Mountains in central Montana is one of my favorite places to hunt. I went there with the objective of bringing home an elk but that didn’t happen this trip. To paraphrase Pat McManus, I did look over a few nice bulls, but none that I wanted to drop the hammer on. Partly because unless you have a special permit this is a cow elk only district. But mostly because they were on the N Bar Ranch and the owners take a dim view of trespassers.

**oneshot**
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Well done!!

429421Cowboy
11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Very nice! And a great way to end the season as well.
I have hunted elk down there quit a bit, it is a beautiful place to be. Friends that own a ranch next to the N Bar tell me they have patrols around the perimeter fence all through hunting season, not a place I'd wanna get caught!

Clinebo
11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Nice buck! Congrats!

Beerd
11-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I like the Little Snowys!

good rondyvoo memories maybe? ;-)