PDA

View Full Version : Annealed check forming problem

1Shirt
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I annealed a few strips of alum that I have been using in my Pat Marlins 30, and they are sticking to the (I guess the push part of the die for lack of better words), when the non annealed do not. Is this common, or is there a cure for this, or do I just go back to non annealed materials?
1Shirt!:coffee:

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I annealed a few strips of alum that I have been using in my Pat Marlins 30, and they are sticking to the (I guess the push part of the die for lack of better words), when the non annealed do not. Is this common, or is there a cure for this, or do I just go back to non annealed materials?
1Shirt!:coffee:

"push part" I assume you mean the Male forming die.
If so, I've had the issue of the finished check sticking on the male forming die when using thicker than normal material (.016 Cu). What I did that helped was to carefully polish the end of the male forming die where the check is sticking, and then lightly apply some bullplate to it.
Jon

PS, when you start to polish...don't get carried away and think the female forming die should be polished also, the machining lines in there will help hold the check and help keep it from sticking to the Male forming die.

1Shirt
11-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Yep, Male part is probably a better defination. Will try your suggestions.
1Shirt!