PDA

View Full Version : Another deer

44man
11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
I started to see deer in the morning so I went out today. I had a bunch back in the woods moving to me but something spooked them and they went every which way. Sit tight, they lose each other and will come back to look.
Spotted one walking fast on the wrong side with a ton of branches in the way. 50 yards and a decision to get between branches, fast shot with a bang flop. The BFR .475 is the best.

MT Gianni
11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Our rut is almost two weeks late this year. The season closed yesterday and they bucks started to get with it in the middle of the week.

44man
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Our rut is almost two weeks late this year. The season closed yesterday and they bucks started to get with it in the middle of the week.
I was seeing scrapes in early Oct. Hundreds of them. The does are not ready yet and avoid the bucks.
I don't shoot many bucks but will take one now and then. Had one 10 feet from me the other day, he looked at me and I looked at him. He walked way. Pretty big 8 point but even my pressure cooker would fail.
The most fun I had was watching a big buck trying for the girls. He would sneak and they ignored him until he got too close. Then they would bolt to feed at the other end of the field. He started another sneak, same deal. Then he would go hang his head under a bush and try again. The height of frustration!

newton
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Well you sure are getting set up for some good meals, congrats. Where did you say you lived...

I witnessed the same thing around here in the upper portions of Arkansas. The bucks seemed to be somewhat "ready", but the girls were not till just recently. But at the same time I know that I was seeing a LOT of fawns late this year. In fact, I watched a "fawn" suckle just a few weeks ago. Mom did not seem to mind at all. Did not last long, but it happened.

I am sure that it has thrown some things off. Always next year. I hunt with all methods allowed so I am not too concerned about filling the freezer, but it always is nice to shoot one and not have to wait for it to die. Bang flop is always a big plus with gun hunting.

44man
11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Well you sure are getting set up for some good meals, congrats. Where did you say you lived...

I witnessed the same thing around here in the upper portions of Arkansas. The bucks seemed to be somewhat "ready", but the girls were not till just recently. But at the same time I know that I was seeing a LOT of fawns late this year. In fact, I watched a "fawn" suckle just a few weeks ago. Mom did not seem to mind at all. Did not last long, but it happened.

I am sure that it has thrown some things off. Always next year. I hunt with all methods allowed so I am not too concerned about filling the freezer, but it always is nice to shoot one and not have to wait for it to die. Bang flop is always a big plus with gun hunting.
Deer move in cycles, time changing every day. Moon? Not seeing deer means they already went past or are not there yet.
This one is the first for the neighbor ladies that let me hunt. I try to get them 2 each, they love venison. They help cut and clean plus wrap. Neither wants a buck.
Now is my time to hunt, wait and the cycle will change so a deer is not to be found.
Need to put an alarm on deer so you know they are coming at a certain time! :shock:

white eagle
11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
well back at it
I have a few extra hours of vaca that I didn't know I had so ..............
its out with a muzzleloader...
rut has been crazy here as well I did see a doe that was in the mood but no buck around to scratch her itch
maybe just maybe there is still hope

boltons75
11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
I saw close to 20 on opening day here in Michigan, passed on a doe cause i had all season to fill my doe tag. Im off work until Dec 3 and haven't seen another deer since. I have 4 days left, and just spotted 2 very nice fresh scrapes on a runway coming into the section i hunt in. Wishing i wouldn't have passed on that doe...:confused:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

waksupi
11-26-2012, 07:49 PM
well back at it
I have a few extra hours of vaca that I didn't know I had so ..............
its out with a muzzleloader...
rut has been crazy here as well I did see a doe that was in the mood but no buck around to scratch her itch
maybe just maybe there is still hope

When you find a receptive doe, that is money in the bank. I just shadow them, staying 40-50 yards away. A buck will come.

white eagle
11-26-2012, 09:49 PM
that is how I would handle it elsewhere but here I can't be following a doe across onto different properties or I'll get the warden called on me for trespassing

subsonic
11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
[smilie=s::Fire:

I'd just shoot the doe. :coffee:

44man
11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Yep, even if I was buck hunting, I get meat first.
I see more deer before the rut here and bucks will feed with the does but usually go bed in a different place. Sometimes they leave the feeding area in a different direction but other times they stay with the does before splitting off.
The girls don't roam much more the 2 square miles but during rut a buck can roam as much as 15 square miles depending on the country you are in. Northern Ohio was bad for that. Find a big scrape to hunt but he might have a line of scrapes going forever and it might be weeks before he shows at the one you are watching. Flat land, watch a big buck go for miles across crop fields.