PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a boolit?

Swampcrawler
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Hello. New guy here, both to the forum and to casting. I used to cast my rbs for my muzzleloaders and cap and balls, but never for a cartridge gun. 2 weeks ago I bought a g2 contender carbine and 45/70 barrel. The first weekend it took a 50 pound pig, this weekend a 175 pounder. Not particularly happy with hornady lever evolution rounds for this kind of hunting. I just can't help but think wild hog in brush, shots under 20 yards, and a 45/70 just screams for a big ole chunk of flat nosed lead. But being new to casting, reloading, and the contender platform, I have no clue what weight/style bullet I need and what specs to load it to. I just wanna be sure my round will break through the biggest or boars and not leave me to track an angry wounded toothy critter in these swamp thickets. Looking forward to the suggestions of ye olde lead melters. :)

1Shirt
11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
IMO, any flat nose (wide meplat) cast of air cooled w/w, at around the 400gr. level, over between 22-24 gr. of 2400 with a dac fill would do you well. Not a recommendation, just what shoots well in my #1. Took a big russian at about 60 yds with the 24 gr. load under 405gr. Ohas, in my Ruger #1, and when the scope settled back had 4 legs in the air.
1Shirt!

KCSO
11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Since I had and shot a G2 Carbine which if I remember right weighed about 6 1/2Pounds I am going to second Shirts opinion. I prefer IMR3031 powder but I shot a 400 grain hp that I made from a Lee RN and I kept the velocities right at 1300 fps and it worked fine for everyting up to buffalo.

Swampcrawler
11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. That light little carbine kicks like the devil with the hornady loads but it's tolerable

Swampcrawler
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Would an hp work better? Both that I shot with the 325 gr horandys were drt
But a guy got cut up pretty bad out there this year due to the same bullet somehow failing to penetrate a 300+ pound boar's "armor".

rexherring
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Heck, any light loads would be good with a big chunk of lead. Even the mild "Cowboy" loads would work like a 405 gr at about 1200 fps would be fine and poke a big hole right through them. They should make a 400 grain wadcutter for close range pigs, that would sound so cool when it hit them. WHAP!!!!!

Swampcrawler
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Heck, any light loads would be good with a big chunk of lead. Even the mild "Cowboy" loads would work like a 405 gr at about 1200 fps would be fine and poke a big hole right through them. They should make a 400 grain wadcutter for close range pigs, that would sound so cool when it hit them. WHAP!!!!!
That would be awesome! Everyone would know when I get a kill. A half mile away they hear boom-thump.