PDA

View Full Version : H&I die leaking

Shuz
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I have a Lyman .309 H &I sizing die that is leaking lube past the upper "O" ring when the reservoir is under pressure. Years ago I heard that a Danco #40 "O" ring which is 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID X 1/16" is the correct size and should fix the problem. I bought a pack of 10 ea and it doesn't solve the problem. Suggestions are appreciated.

oneokie
11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a Lyman .309 H &I sizing die that is leaking lube past the upper "O" ring when the reservoir is under pressure. Years ago I heard that a Danco #40 "O" ring which is 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID X 1/16" is the correct size and should fix the problem. I bought a pack of 10 ea and it doesn't solve the problem. Suggestions are appreciated.
How snug is the die in the retaining nut with that o-ring installed on the die? Have you inspected the retaining nut for burrs or other defects?

Shuz
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
oneokie--By retaining nut, are you referring to the Allen set screw that keeps the die in the reservoir? If so, it is tight and the die doesn't move when pressure is applied to the luber press arm either on the up or down strokes. I did notice some rather larger than I'd like to see nicks in the die body, but they are down below the grooved place for the "O" ring. I think the nicks that I'm seeing have been caused by the set screw and should be of no consequence. Other dies have these same nicks and they don't leak. Perhaps the size of the "O" ring is wrong.

Maven
11-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Shuz, A quick & dirty fix is to wrap the affected area with the heavier teflon tape (yellow label, for gas fittings). It's surprisingly durable and will resist reasonable lube sizer pressure. Hope all is well with you!

oneokie
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
You have the 45 sizer luber, and I was thinking 450 or 4500. And I also think your o-ring is too small.

Shuz
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Maven--All's well out here execpt for a leaking .309 H&I die! Thanks for the tip on the heavier teflon tape. I'll have to get some of that and try it. May try the white stuff first tho!

35 Whelen and 358009 brought home meat again this year!

Shuz
11-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Just tried Maven's teflon tape trick and it worked even with the white tape!

Buckshot
11-27-2012, 03:29 AM
...............You still preachin' Shuz? :-)

.............Buckshot

Shuz
11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Yup, still preachin'! 'Spose the Colonel would be happy?

Freischütz
11-27-2012, 11:08 PM
If you're heating the lube make sure it's not hotter than necessary. About 95 °F works well for me. Also check the amount of pressure your using.

Buckshot
11-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Yup, still preachin'! 'Spose the Colonel would be happy?

Dude, that take me back a few years. Always glad to know your pals are still out there kickin' butt :-)

..............Buckshot

beagle
11-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Ray, Glad the tape worked. I originally ready your post and forgot you were still living in the dark ages and using that old #45 I traded you years ago.

Back in the good old days when the #45 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'd take a #45 and crank pressure on that set screw until it caused a gap and that funky black Lyman lube oozed out and got all over everything and caused no end of problems with the management when it got on our fingers and hence on light switches and door knobs.

The fix was to remove the die, rotate it, replace and gently tighten the set screw. Something we were doing was causing something in there to warp or bend (don't think it was the sizer die) and extrude that magnificent black Lyman lube all over.

Between this and the tape is should fix it. If not, e-mail me and I'll swap .309" dies with you JIC.

Big frost here this morning. Might need your snow blower./beagle

Shuz
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Dark ages? Long live my 3/ea old 45's.I've had a couple of the newer Lyman's and didn't care for them one bit and sold or traded them off. I've never experienced the leakage problem before with any of my old 45's. But the good news is that she's fixed now! As I said to Paul in a PM, what would we do without duct tape or teflon tape, WD-40 or J-B Weld?
Snow blower is all set to go, but I haven't used it for 2 years now that I have an ATV with a snow plow! Lett'r snow!
Ray