PDA

View Full Version : H&G 2 cavity #50 with handles value?

steif
11-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi,
I have been lurking for a while and I found a mould the other day and can't track down the value of.
I found out the 2 cavity #50 is the light weight 148 gr SWC for the 38 gold cup, etc..
But, I have only seen 4 cavity moulds for sale. This is fairly nice, no rusting clean cavities, and the handles are fair, but both wood handles have cracked and need repaired. ( one has friction tape on it) This looks like a great mould, but I don't think I will ever use it and would rather put the money into another mould or die set.
Bottom line I guess is what would be a fair price to ask for this mould? (this is not an offer to sell, If I decide to I will post this on the classified board.)
Thanks for any info!

FISH4BUGS
11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
The #50 is the single most common mould that H&G ever made. I have seen 2 cavity #50's for as little as $25-$30 with handles. In fact, I have bought a few just to get the handles for other H&G moulds. In perfect condition, like virtually new, you MIGHT be able to get $40 or so.
Just one guy's opinion....your mileage may vary.

Texasflyboy
11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
As low as $40 on eBay to as high as $75. My eBay records show the average selling price for a two cavity #50 Plain Base with handles in excellent condition to be ~$50.00 based on 71 auctions from 1995 to present.

Tom

beagle
11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
But, it's also one of the better H & G moulds and probably more #50s have been shot than any other H & G design. You got a good one.

In the olden days of bullseye shooting, the Army Marksmanship Training Units used that mould, the Star Sizer and Star progressive loader for loading practice .38 Special ammo. .45 ACP GI Ball ammunition was readily available for practice but .38 Special was hard to get so they used reloads for practice. I've used their equipment to turn out a few thousand myself./beagle