PDA

View Full Version : SAECO contact info

Mark Daiute
11-25-2012, 08:21 PM
After scrolling through 8 pages of links from google for SAECO molds I decided to come here to see if anyone has contact info.

I paid a premium through Buffalo Arms for a .460 500 grain government style mold for my trapdoors. The mold does not cast even close to casting a .460 boolit, even with No. 2 alloy. It's barely reaching .458. Buffalo Arms told me to send the mold to SAECO.

That was 2 years ago. I shouldn't have to beagle a mold that was pushing 100 bucks. I've had enough and it's time to send the thing back.

I get better results with my 26 dollar mold from Lee.

If there's contact info for SAECO I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Mark

cbrick
11-25-2012, 08:41 PM
I wish you luck with Redding, I had an issue a few years back and it was settled with Robin Sharpless of Redding telling me that if I didn't like it I should buy RCBS. I recieved by far the worst customer service I've ever had from any company in any industry, ever. So bad that I wouldn't take anything Redding if someone stuffed it up my hieny.

Redding Reloading (http://www.redding-reloading.com/)

I got no recourse from them and was left with a four cavity paper weight and a useless press.

Please post here the outcome of this.

Rick

Mark Daiute
11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Rick,
Thank you. I did not know that SAECO is Redding and I was already planning on chronicling the results right here.

darkroommike
11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
After scrolling through 8 pages of links from google for SAECO molds I decided to come here to see if anyone has contact info.

I paid a premium through Buffalo Arms for a .460 500 grain government style mold for my trapdoors. The mold does not cast even close to casting a .460 boolit, even with No. 2 alloy. It's barely reaching .458. Buffalo Arms told me to send the mold to SAECO.

That was 2 years ago. I shouldn't have to beagle a mold that was pushing 100 bucks. I've had enough and it's time to send the thing back.

I get better results with my 26 dollar mold from Lee.

Thanks,

Mark

Two years ago? I'd have been on the phone the next day, and email, and certified postal and on the boards. And if Buffalo Arms won't make it right, get on their case, too. But after two years...not sure what recourse you have, what does your original warranty card say?

Mark Daiute
11-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I know. I procrastinated. Never got a warranty card. I just hope that after paying full boat they will gladly offer me a replacement that does what it should do. We'll see.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks, Mark
Mark,
I've had only one experience with Redding about a Saeco Mold, and it was very good, here is the response from my original e-mail request sent, from a year and a half ago.

btw, I requested a complete screw package for a second hand Saeco mold from a gunshow, it had jimmied up screws, I asked what the price would be, AJ just sent it out Free of Charge.
Jon

Jon,
I will send the parts you requested to the address you provided in your email. Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment.
Regards,

AJ
Redding Customer Service
csaj@redding-reloading.com

Redding Reloading Equipment
1089 Starr Road
Cortland, NY 13045
(607) 753-3331
On Mar 23, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Redding Reloading Equipment wrote:

Mark Daiute
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks all. Let's hope for the best. If I end up with a .458 paper weight are there other molds out there that will cast at .460, besides my Lee HB 405 grain mold?

cbrick
11-26-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't cast or load for the 45-70 so I just checked on the Midway site for SAECO .460" molds. None, they are all listed as .458" with a couple as .468-.469".

If that's what SAECO specs them at it's very possible that you'll get no joy from them.

For the money I would go to Accurate and have exactly what I wanted made. Should be about the same price or cheaper than the over priced SAECO's. Geez, I just saw what SAECO prices have gotten to. . . Shocking. :veryconfu

Rick

EDIT to add: Another option you have is to send your SAECO off to Erik at Hollow Point Bullet Mold, he is a true craftsman with opening up the driving bands to cast at your specs. He has done several for me and I highly recommend him. He also has molds for sale so you should check out his web pages.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

And on this page is a write up about Erik near the top of the page.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

rintinglen
11-28-2012, 01:48 AM
+1 on Accurate Molds. I got a 2 cavity 220 grain mold for my .348 winchester, custom made, in brass for less than the cost of a 2 cavity SAECO. SAECO is awfully proud of their stuff.

Mark Daiute
12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I may end up eating (happily eating) some crow here.

First, Redding responded within 24 hours asking me to fill the mold and send it to them wit the sprue knocked off and that if it does not cast up to spec they would happily replace it.

today I filled the lead pot with 4 pounds of Linotype, 1/4 pound of tin and the rest being wheelweights. Every boolit cast exceeded .460. I'm going to measure them again in 25 hours and see if I get the same results.

My next step will be to cast some boolits with 20/1 lead tin which is the alloy I've wanted all along for my trapdoors. I'm pretty sure I've been that route with sad results but we'll see. Maybe the mold has been fine all along and the fault has been the man behind the mold handles.

20-1 tomorrow night. Stay tuned.

Mark Daiute
12-09-2012, 11:19 PM
ok, so I did not wait for tomorrow night. After the above casting session I loaded the furnace with almost 5 pounds of lead and a 1/4 pound of tin.

the results were very disapointing barely at or clearly below .460, mostly around .459. Even while still hot/warm. Most likely I'll be contacting Eric as recommended above. Thaks for the tip.

leadman
12-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Some lapping compound on boolits cast in the same cavity will fix your problem. I have the Midway kit with 220, 300?, and 600 grit lapping compound in it and usually use the 300? might be 320, for iron or steel molds, then a quick finish with the 600.
Use the same procedure in the Lee Lementing sticky.
I have several SAECO molds and they all cast fight on what SAECO lists at. I had one 38 SWC 2 cavity mold that I could cast almost as fast as a Lee 6 cavity.

madsenshooter
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Yea, the lapping compound Mark! Piece of cake to get the few thousandths you need.

asp
12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm sure lapping it out would work, but the point is that you shouldn't have to do that to a $100 mold.

rintinglen
12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm sure lapping it out would work, but the point is that you shouldn't have to do that to a $100 mold.

I concur in part, but disagree in part. If I buy a mold speced to produce a .458 diameter, and then complain it won't cast .460, It doesn't matter what I pay. Size 10 shoes pinch my size 10 1/2 feet. If I buy size 10 shoes whose fault is that? Once I have them, I can either try to exchange them, or stretch them so I can use them. Buy right, buy once. Now, if I buy a pair that says they're 10 1/2, but are only size 10, then I have a legitimate beef.

madsenshooter
12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Same as above.