PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 bolt action

onegunred
11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
What are some pros and cons of a bolt action 30-30. thanks

HARRYMPOPE
11-25-2012, 05:56 PM
You are still limited OAL wise on magazine length though you can use lighter pointed jacketed bullets.Other than that my 788's and Savage 340's have shot and feed cast well.Unless you are in love with the 30-30 a 788 in 308 will generally out shoot the 30-30's and are less expensive.The Savage/Stevens 340's are decent but the bedding is about like a 10-22 Ruger and dont shoot quite as well as the 788 in 30-30.I had a 12# 30-30 Benchrest rifle made up on a 788 that would shoot plainbase loads under 1" quite bit of the time.

HiVelocity
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
What are some pros and cons of a bolt action 30-30

I have one T/C Contender and 2 leverguns in 30-30 caliber; I wish someone would make a quality bolt action in 30-30.

HV

smoked turkey
11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I put a few rounds down range this afternoon from my Savage 340 in 30-30. It is set up with open sights and I was shooting about 50 yards. Not a barn burner as far as accuracy goes but will absolutely put venison in the freezer. Just for the pure pleasure of it I also shot my old Marlin with a Williams peep sight. I will have to admit that it did a little better than the bolt gun, but not so much as a deer would know the difference. I just like shooting the 30-30. It is a great cast boolit shooter.

starmac
11-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I am not sure about pro's and con's, but I like them and I am pretty much a lever guy.

richhodg66
11-25-2012, 09:57 PM
The little 340 I have is a good shooter. The bolt action gives you some flexibility a tubular magazine won't. SIngle shots are good in that respect too and there's a lot of them out there.

Frank46
11-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Don't forget the winchester model 54 that was made in 1928 as a 30-30 rifle or carbine. I have the action and an aftermarket stock. Bolt handle was done model 70 style by griffen and howe in new york. One of these days will get abarrel on it and see how she shoots. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
11-27-2012, 07:19 AM
I have seen a few 340s over the years, but all had sewer pipe barrels.

atr
11-27-2012, 09:27 AM
54679I have a savage 340 bolt action in 30-30 and love the rifle, hand and light to carry and accurate enough with cast loads for deer hunting out to 100-150 yds.
target shown was at 100 yds

nekshot
11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
the cons to me are the inability to eject a loaded properly seated cartridge with cast boolit. I have a 340 and it won,t work with cast if seated properly and not fired but I believe the best way thru this is with a mauser type action that has enough room to eject a loaded round that is seated to rifling. Just my thoughts and this 30-30 bolt thing is really bothering me to.

digger44
11-27-2012, 09:58 AM
If you are going to shoot cast, then the bolt actions are generally easier to clean. I think 30-30 bolt gun's are cool.

1Shirt
11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Had 2 340's, both shot the 150 Lee well w/full charges w/deer accuracy to 100.
1Shirt!

onegunred
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
nekshot, I don't understand what you mean.

nekshot
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM
onegunred, If you want to seat a cast boolit to enter the rifling for best accuracy the cartridge is then to long to eject with out removing bolt or trying to spring it out of the ejectors grasp. If you don't mind min. of deer acuracy the little savage will shoot cast seated short to work thru the mag and still eject. I personally must have my deer guns put 3 shots in 1 inch at 100 yards or it doesn't go hunting. I got the nickname nekshot because of hunting in thick brushy areas and having to shoot thru little holes in the brush and most of the time when I identify the deer has horns I drop a little and squeeze the trigger and I end up with a neckshot. My 340 sav has never come close to my goal when cartridges are proper length to function thru clip and eject if not fired. Hope this clears up my input and again my opinion is like my nose which every body has one! nekshot (you should have seen the shot I made on my buck this year. This was the longest shot I made in a mess of brush and had a hole about 3inches for 80 yards. 300 grain in 444 dropped the deer like lightning. never would have taken the shot if not confident in gun putting bullet exactly where I was looking.)

onegunred
11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Okay , thanks nekshot, now I got it. I am wanting a "pig" gun for future use and 3 shots in 1" is more than good. A lever would work but I like bolt actions. thanks for all the replies.

krag35
11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
My first "Big Game" rifle was a Savage 340 In 30-30, I still have it. It will shoot Lee 180's. 31141, 311284, and 314299's into less than 2", but must use LP primers. I recently Picked up a Revelation 225 In 30-30. First loads I tried out of it were those worked up for a Win. 94 I no longer have. 6 shots 3" @ 100 yds. I think it's a keeper.

Hang Fire
11-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I have a Stevens M-325 in 30-30 and it is very accurate with cast.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/ASteven30-30model325.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
11-29-2012, 04:59 AM
That'l get-er-done Hangfire!

I always fancied one of those, but as I said all Savage bolt guns in 30-30 I have seen had trashed barrels. My 32-20 however, is like a newbie! So, it ain't all bad, haha!

The 25-20 Savage bolt rifle is also a rifle I fancied, but have never seen a good one of those either.

atr
11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey Four Fingers,,,,after MANY years of searching for a bolt action 25-20 I got lucky and found a Savage model 23B sitting in a pile of old rifles at an out-of-the-way gun shop.
It cleaned up nicely and shoots superbly!
Don't give up hope !

Four Fingers of Death
11-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Hey Four Fingers,,,,after MANY years of searching for a bolt action 25-20 I got lucky and found a Savage model 23B sitting in a pile of old rifles at an out-of-the-way gun shop.
It cleaned up nicely and shoots superbly!
Don't give up hope !

No I have younger guys come up and admire some of the guns I have and complain that they never find guns like that, blah, blah, blah. Just a matter of staying in the game long enough, you will run across them eventually. I have a nice 25/20 Winchester 92. A previous owner had it rebarrelled and refinished and it looks like a new rifle, not one made in 1908. I gave a young guy a couple of shots of it at the range one day and he whipped his smart phone out and took a few pics and then started to enter details in the notebook section, saying he was going to get the gunshop to order one in for him, haha, he was a bit disappointed when he found out it was 104 years old! I would like to mount a scope so am always on the lookout for a Savage bolt gun or a Marlin 1894 in the calibre. I will let the young guy buy it off me if I ever find one of those. I probably should just buy a peep sight for it.

Three44s
12-02-2012, 12:35 AM
I had my hands on a 23B for a while ......... long enough to grow quite fond of it, but then the owner took it back home and I was left yearning for one of my own.

Still can't get over the "sticker shock" however ......... maybe someday, I'll find a decently priced one?

Three 44s

Three44s
12-02-2012, 12:39 AM
As far as the OP,

I am not trying to be a smart allec ........ but the best deal to get to a cast "30" for cheap to me is the Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R ......... not a .30-30 bolt gun. If you can find a good one for decent price ...... that's good but barring that, get a Mosin and keep looking for other in the meantime.

The Mosin will give you a GREAT magazine system for a rimmed cartridge. Pretty smart those Russians!!!

Good hunting!!

Three 44s

HARRYMPOPE
12-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Most(if not all) 340's I see out in the Pacific NW have good bores.The Savage Sporters in 25-20 and 32-20 are the ones that are sewer pipes in these parts.I picked up a 32-20 in Yakima recently and the bore is about 95% and so far it seems like it will be a shooter.it wasn't cheap though.

Four Fingers of Death
12-02-2012, 03:26 AM
My mate has a short (Roumanian I think) Mosin and it was very cheap. It outshoots all of his expensive rifles! He is wrapped in it! Mine is still a safe queen at this stage. It is a 1917 made Remington with a four foot long barrel, well it ain't quiet that long, but it is so long you bang it on everything in sight, lol.

onegunred
12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
My local gun shop has a couple of Savage/Stevens 30-30s for not a lot of money but I have not handled them yet but I will soon. thanks for all the replies.

Hang Fire
12-02-2012, 04:14 PM
In the some areas, seems the Savage/Stevens 30-30s sit on the rack month after month and can still be gotten reasonably. IIRC, here in this part of AZ, few years back I picked up my near mint bore Stevens 325 for 150 bucks. My BIL back in Missouri says where he lives, they can't be got for less than $300.00.

The Savage/Stevens bolt rifles in 30-30 hold a special place in my memories, I was 13 years old when I got my first deer with one.

atr
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I am almost embarrased to say this... but picked up a Savage 23B in 25-20....beautiful bore etc. for $175.00 about 6 years ago

gnoahhh
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
The Savage 340 is a great little rifle, but to really see what a .30/30 will do in a bolt gun grab the next Winchester 54 you see, if you're fortunate to stumble onto one. Seriously, give the man whatever he wants for it. You'll thank me! (Mine will print cast bullets into groups that would make me blush if I told you.)

Another fairly rare and highly overlooked bolt gun is the Savage Sporter or Super Sporter (#40 and #45) in .30/30. They were only made pre-war, but are worthy of attention too. Usually they're found in .300 savage, and .250-3000 and .30/06. (Stay away from the .30/06 if you plan on shooting it a lot with hot loads. It is a notorious lug setter-backer in that caliber. I bet it's a good cast shooter though.)

madsenshooter
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
My mate has a short (Roumanian I think) Mosin and it was very cheap. It outshoots all of his expensive rifles! He is wrapped in it! Mine is still a safe queen at this stage. It is a 1917 made Remington with a four foot long barrel, well it ain't quiet that long, but it is so long you bang it on everything in sight, lol.

All ceiling fans have to be off when handling long barreled rifles! Man it's hard to get those things balanced again!

Bullshop
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
The Savage 340s have issues or maybe I should say I have issues with them.
#1 is the trigger. They leave much to be desired as they come from the factory and there is little to be done to improve them.
#2 is the bedding system or clamping system or how ever you would refer to the way the barreled action is bolted to the stock. There is only one bolt in the front of the receiver and nothing at the rear. The only other bolt is on a barrel band forward of the receiver ring/nut.
Both these issues have caused inconsistant results for me with any of the 340s or its variants.
There are very few custom rebuilds on 340 actions. There is good reason for it.
If getting a gun cheap is what makes a person happy the 340 used to fill the bill but seems like even that attraction is history.

HARRYMPOPE
12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes,trigger is poor and the bedding is like a 10-22 like i said in post #2 but...They are still a rugged serviceable gun and plenty strong within the pressure limits of the cartridge.I personally dont think they are worth over $200 but they are a fine little cast bullet plinker and hunting rifle unlike anything that is made new today.I carried one in my 20's and shot many of rabbits and varmints with one and the 311291 and it never failed me.

atr
12-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Ok, I agree the trigger is not to my liking either, a little on the stiff but there is no creep. Good enough certainly for hunting.
I never had problems with the bedding......there is a large thrust block built into the stock which matches up with a thrust plate which is integrel with the receiver..pretty basic and stout enough for 30-30 pressures. The only improvement I made to the bedding was to add thin brass shim stock onto the thrust block so that there was no possibility of travel due to recoil before the thrust plate was engaged...in other works there is positive contact at all times. The target I posted on page 1 of this thread speaks for itself...certainly good enought for deer hunting.

Bullshop
12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I never said they were not capable of shooting well I just said I had a couple issues with them.

Three44s
12-02-2012, 11:00 PM
All ceiling fans have to be off when handling long barreled rifles! Man it's hard to get those things balanced again!

I suppose that rules out bayo's installed as well? LOL!

Three 44s

MSgtUSMC
12-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Awhile back a friend gave me his Savage Super Sporter in .30-30. One problem. While deer hunting he lost the bolt. I've been looking for a bolt for quite awhile. Anyone here have any tips where I might find one?

richhodg66
12-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I've shot factory rifles with a lot worse triggers than my 340 has. It's plenty accurate enough for a hunting gun.

One thing, the stocks often seem like the recess the recoil lug goes into isn't deep enough. When everything is loose, you can rock the barreled action on the recoil lug in the stock. I cut mine deeper and glass bedded it, but it was a pretty good shooter even before that.

I like the handling characteristics of mine, it is handy and relatively light and points well for me, maybe a longer armed guy wouldn'tthink so, but I find it to be a good fit.

HARRYMPOPE
12-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I never said they were not capable of shooting well I just said I had a couple issues with them.

I cant disagree with your points on them because you are correct.The "getting a gun cheap is whats makes people happy" was the part that was not being fair to the rifle.Because for about $250 a Savage Axis in 30-06 will do anything a 30 caliber could be asked to do and with greater accuracy.But being cast bullets tinkerers some of these old dogs we like to challenge ourselves with are just funner for some odd reason.

starmac
12-03-2012, 02:05 AM
HARRYMPOPE I reckon you got the point. lol

nanuk
12-03-2012, 03:06 AM
I have a Stevens M-325 in 30-30 and it is very accurate with cast.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/ASteven30-30model325.jpg

I have one of those coming soon. Bore is supposed to be pristine.

I also bought a 340 barreled action in rough shape. I'm gonna try my hand at cleaning it up and perhaps parkerizing it.

Oh.. and the Williams Receiver site is already in my hands!

KYCaster
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I've owned a few of the Savage/Stevens guns. A couple in 30/30 and currently one in 222Rem.

I have the same issues with them that Bullshop mentioned.

I found a great alternative though......the "Rimless 30/30", AKA 7.62X39.....in a CZ527 carbine it offers everything you're asking for, without the trigger and bedding issues.

I really like mine. The only complaint I have is the five round magazine sticks out right at the balance point and makes carrying in the field a bit awkward at times. A flush fit three round mag is available to cure that.

Jerry

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Wellllllllll, it's not exactly a bolt rifle and it ain't exactly a 30/30, but this is an interesting rifle, is as cheap as chips, available in an assortment of calibres, including the 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 308Win and works a treat, my mate has one, excellent cast boolit rifle.

http://imzcorp.com/en/company/34.html

It is as ugly as sin, but a good,honest bit of kit!

atr
12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
very interesting !...thanks four fingers

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I forgot to mention with my experience of a few single shot guns, I'd be staying away from rimless cartridges. They work fine, but have to be picked out when you are reloading. A 7.62x54R would be my pick, with cast boolits, I reckon a quick flick backwards would see the case ejected from the rifle, which is a big plus. I had an old Tikka 12Ga/308W once. It had a soda straw rifle barrel, but was surprisingly accurate for the first two shots (which is enough generally when you are hunting, then started to open the group up some (still ok,but started to open up, easy to live with, 5 shot groups were about 1 3/4" first two shots were right on point of aim and generally touching each other.

What was hard to live with was the fact that you had to physically grasp the cartridge and pull it out, which was time consuming, especially when hunting. A trick the T/C shooters use is to use the rim of the next case to extract the fired case. Never occured to me when I was using the Tikka, I will try that on my Encore 308 (that is when I find the forend screws, when I got it the outfit it came with two barrels and forends. I fired a few shots with the 308, swapped out the barrels and forends and promptly lost track of the forend screws, which took off and went looking for some of the other stuff that has disappeared on my over the years, groannnnnnnnn!).

HARRYMPOPE
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
The Ruger #1 ejects rimless cases just fine.

g-

Four Fingers of Death
12-04-2012, 02:26 AM
The Ruger #1 ejects rimless cases just fine.

g-

It surely does, a little too vigorously at times, lol. I shouldn't have written single shots, but should have written break action single shots, which is what I meant, sorry about that.

richhodg66
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Interestingly, I just picked up a nice 788 in .30-30. I went to a gun shop I hadn't been through in a while and there it was. Impulse buy, but it was $399 plus tax, so I think I did OK, certainly didn't steal it, but just about any decent centerfire bolt action seems to bring that nowadays.

I've had a few 788s over the years, all have been good shooters. My 6mm one is spooky accurate. It'll be a while before I get this one to a range, but does anybody have a pet load for a .30-30 788?

Four Fingers of Death
12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Interestingly, I just picked up a nice 788 in .30-30.

I have never seen one in Australia, they are as rare as rocking horse poop! I always fancied one and another rebarrelled to 35/30-30 ( haha! spent too much time staring at Col. Harris' cast boolit book, there is a target shot by one on the front cover.

richhodg66
12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I have never seen one in Australia, they are as rare as rocking horse poop! I always fancied one and another rebarrelled to 35/30-30 ( haha! spent too much time staring at Col. Harris' cast boolit book, there is a target shot by one on the front cover.

About 18 years ago, I bought a custom .22-250 varmint rifle built on a 788 action, which I didn't realize at the time (and should have) was built on one of the .30-30 actions. It never did hit home that the bolt face was different from my 6mm one, what clued me in was the barrel (26", one ich diameter no taper, it was a heavy rifle) had been stamped .219 Zipper, so someone had started with a serious custom and eventually made a .22-250 out of it. I assume he chose the action due to the rimmed cartridge. The rifle was accurate as all get out once the barrel was fouled just right, but, alas, I found myself thinking Ineeded the money and space more than the rifle and sold it, wish I hadn't now, it would have been a great .219 Donalson Wasp candidate n the making.

I've seen these converted to .375 Winchester too. I have a friend who has one of the .44 magnum ones, talk about rare. I couldn't pass on this one, it really is in good shape. Since the 788 was a cheapie, they usually seem to be in rough shape when you find them. I doubt I'll like this one as much as my 340, even though it's a better rifle intrinsically, but I hope it's a good shooter and if it is, I'll have to shoot a deer or two with it.

HARRYMPOPE
12-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I had a 30 Wasp built for cast bullets on a 788 30-30 action that was quite accurate.

George

Hang Fire
12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
I have one of those coming soon. Bore is supposed to be pristine.

I also bought a 340 barreled action in rough shape. I'm gonna try my hand at cleaning it up and perhaps parkerizing it.

Oh.. and the Williams Receiver site is already in my hands!

With the Williams 340 aperture sight and the factory front sight, look for it to shoot a bit high. As there is no front sight dovetail, have yet to find a sight that fits with higher blade.

Lonestar22
12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
My scoped 1930 Savage Model 45 can get the job done. Here's the results at 75 yards.

Four Fingers of Death
12-10-2012, 04:25 AM
82 Years old Lonestar and still delivering the goods! That's a freezer full of venison any day you want to get out amongst it!

atr
12-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Nice shooting !

richhodg66
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Savage Model 45s are rather rare birds, I can't recall ever having seen one. Consider yourself fortunate to own that rifle, seems like a real gem to me.

Alan in Vermont
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I was talking guns at the shop where I get hydraulic seals this afternoon and the subject of 340s came up. One of the guys there has one, it's for sale and was offreed to me for $150. I know, that's a killer price but,,,,,,,, it's not drilled for a scope mount so I assume it's not ready for a receiver sight either. I'm not even a little impressed with the MM (Mickey Mouse) sights on it in stock form. If I can come up with the $$ before it goes I my well pick it up for the Granddaughter to shoot. I figure I can carve that club of a stock into something a bit more appealing but I would really like better sights.

Jack Stanley
12-11-2012, 09:22 PM
The pros of the bolt rifles are they seem to shot better for me than the lever rifles . I had a Savage ( I forget the model number ) and I'm keeping the 788 . The Savage had good sights for young eyes and my Remington has a reciever sight that impresses me everytime I take it out . The cons are getting replacement parts for the Remington if something breaks . Perhaps a Mosin would be a good choice as well but EVERYBODY knows the barrels aren't four feet long ..... actually they are about five and a half feet long . With the bayonet attatched they are only eight feet long overall and are just right for hog hunting in area you can lure them after you .

Really though , a nice M38 or 91-59 with an excellent muzzle and bore is a great shooter . Though not as gracefull as the Remington it will give you a new appreciation for the Savage design sporters .

Jack

starmac
12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Alan in Vermont, if you decide against that 150 dollar 340, I'm sure there might be some members here that would be interested in picking it up. They seem to be pretty well liked.

Hang Fire
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I was talking guns at the shop where I get hydraulic seals this afternoon and the subject of 340s came up. One of the guys there has one, it's for sale and was offreed to me for $150. I know, that's a killer price but,,,,,,,, it's not drilled for a scope mount so I assume it's not ready for a receiver sight either. I'm not even a little impressed with the MM (Mickey Mouse) sights on it in stock form. If I can come up with the $$ before it goes I my well pick it up for the Granddaughter to shoot. I figure I can carve that club of a stock into something a bit more appealing but I would really like better sights.

If not D&T for a scope, they are D&T for Williams FP-340 receiver sight, which also fits my Stevens 325 perfectly.

starmac
12-13-2012, 12:59 AM
If not D&T for a scope, they are D&T for Williams FP-340 receiver sight, which also fits my Stevens 325 perfectly.

My sears 101 something or other (suppose to be the same as savage 340 has 4 holes in the left side of the reciever. I assume these are for a side mount scope mount, will that fp 340 sight fit two of the existing holes? Thanks.

Hang Fire
12-15-2012, 12:17 AM
My sears 101 something or other (suppose to be the same as savage 340 has 4 holes in the left side of the reciever. I assume these are for a side mount scope mount, will that fp 340 sight fit two of the existing holes? Thanks.

Yes, the fp 340 wil utilize two of the holes.

richhodg66
12-15-2012, 09:53 AM

My 340 is actually the Sears variant like yours. I didn't try a reciever sight (though I should have), but there is a seller on Ebay with machined aluminum scope mounts that bolt right on, are much more solid and look better than the stamped metal Weaver ones and have a rail system on top so you use ordinary Weaver type mounts and you can get a lot more fore and afet scope movement with them than the standard stamped sheet metal ones. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

I really like mine. That little rifle that way I have it set up is a nice woods gun, very handy and pleasant to carry and shoot.

atr
12-15-2012, 01:22 PM
yes the four holes on the left side are for a side mount ...Williams currently makes the correct side mount hardware and rings

starmac
12-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I think I want to go with the reciever sight and not scope it.

nekshot
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Ok, lets keep this thread going. I got this stripped 340 action a couple years ago and stuck it in a old 670 win stock I had stashed. I replaced the top mount to center the scope over barrel. I have not found the sweet spot for cast in it but it sure drives barnes bullets with perfection. I plan to bead blast and give it a stainless look sometime. It really is nice to carry in the woods and just look at the stock if nothing else is happening.

gnoahhh
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
That's definitely the prettiest 340 I ever saw.

Four Fingers of Death
12-21-2012, 07:44 PM
As the English would have said years ago, 'you have made a silk purse from a sow's ear' That is a nice looking rifle, well done that man!.

nekshot
12-21-2012, 09:04 PM
thanks guys, your very generous with your compliments . This gun has a soft spot in my heart and goes along hunting quite often. I love taking butt ugly stuff and messing with it to see what I can do.

starmac
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Neckshot, I reckon you have done a fine job there.

TCLouis
12-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Every one of the 30-30 Bolt guns I have seen were $325 and more.
No matter the make, model or condition.

Thus I do not have one!

starmac
12-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Every one of the 30-30 Bolt guns I have seen were $325 and more.
No matter the make, model or condition.

Thus I do not have one!

Keep looking, I picked mine up at an auction a few months ago for 90 bucks, and I wasn't even looking for one. lol

It doesn't look quite as good as nekshots though. lol

atr
12-25-2012, 11:29 AM
first, Nekshot...thats a very nice stock ! And are you using Barnes Round nose?

lastly....I did find a 340 for $150.00 a few months back in a small gun shop in Oregon,,,so they are out there for a decent price. I passed it up since I already owned on and didn't need another.

nekshot
12-25-2012, 06:41 PM
atr, yes that deer was shot with the 150 gr 30-30 barnes. I tried the barnes 130 but it is too long. I cut some nosler 165 gr with a flat nose to 140 gr and those shot exellant also. The design of the receiver on mine will not let me eject any thing but short length bullets. It shoots the hornady flex tips half decent. For a gun to go hunting with me it must put 3 shots in a inch at 100 yards and this will do it with some jacketed bullets. The only cast boolit it shoots close to my accuracy demand is the lyman 311466. If all 340's eject like mine, having the scope over the barrel is no issue. It sure helps the feel and look of the gun to have the scope over the barrel and you still get to use the open sights.

TNsailorman
12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey nekshot, I like it. Its amazing what a good imagination and the proper amount of talent can do and your rifle shows both. How did you tie down the action and barrel? Did you glass bed? I would definetly be interested in one of those if Savage would make it. Thanks, james

nekshot
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
james, I fit the action in stock(670 has a blind bottom) and made an aluminum billet to fit in stock where rear of 340 action ends. The billet has a notch in it to recieve the rear tang of action. Only the receiver and 2 inches of barrel are glass bedded. The rest of the barrel is free floating. If you look close at rear of action you can see the extra area filled with glass bedding stained real dark. It blends in alot of fellas never guess it is bastardized this much. This is not gunsmithing by any means but maybe A higher level of bubba work than normal. I only use the screw at recoil lug to hold action in stock. It does lock up tight into notcth in billet and doesn't seem to affect accuracy. If I can get some of these photos to load it will make sense. I also include my sons stevens 200. We got this gun really cheap and swapped the plastic stock for a rem 700 adl stock. Sure is better to look at than that grey plastic. Shoots awsome with jacket or boolits.

Jack Stanley
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM
No doubt about it that stock is way better looking than most Savage stocks I've seen . I was down at the local gun emporium yesterday and saw a Savage 30-30 bolt rifle on the used rack for two hundred fifty bucks . Walnut stock , blueing good ............... I was able to resist the urge .

Jack

o6Patient
01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
A 30-30 is a fine little caliber and I've seen a lot of deer harvested with'em but with that said
I would look for a .308 in a bolt action configuration if all thing were equal. A 308 can be loaded down
and they are plentiful. A 30-30 can only be loaded up just so far..as I said not to diminish a 30-30 in
any way, fine caliber.

starmac
01-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Yea, you are right, the 308 is probably better in any logical way, and I have one too, but there is just something about a 30/30 that makes them fun, and they will get the job done too.
I never actually looked for a 30/30 bolt gun, but found mine at an auction and couldn't pass it up. lol

BCall
01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
I bought my 788 in 30-30 off of this forum. Timney trigger and a Boyd's stock. I really like it.

I've wanted to build a Savage 10 action into a swap barrel gun with a 30-30 barrel, a 219 Don Wasp barrel, and ,maybe even a 32-40 barrel, but have never seen a 30-30 sized bolt head for one. If I do ever find one, I'll build it asap.

rockrat
01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Wonder how a magnum bolt would grab the 30-30 rim? Only about .026" larger, might work. Or , you might be able to fit a spacer ring in the bolt face and loctite it in place, for the smaller rim.

I have a 788 and a Savage 340 in 30-30 along with a 340 I had Jesse rebore to 38-55, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. The 340 30-30 shot under an inch with factory loads the first time I took it to the range. Same with a 340 in .223

richhodg66
02-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I bought a nice condition 788 .30-30 a month or so back and I finally got it to the range today. I just stuck an old Weaver K4 I had laying around on it (had to remove the sights, but they're in a safe place).

Wow! That's a good shooter. I just has some loads around, Ideal 31141, cast of WW and sized to .311 in front of 26 grains of IMR4895. Dime sized groups at 50 yards. Ran out of time before getting it down to 100 but I think I have a winner. Definitely more accurate than I've gotten the 340 to do (yet), but not as handy a rifle.

I think this 788 will find it's way onto a tree stand with me next year.

nekshot
02-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Of the bolt 30-30's I would love to have a 788 would be first then a win 54. Enjoy your 788 rich!

Four Fingers of Death
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
(had to remove the sights, but they're in a safe place).

I put the elevator from my Rossi 92's rear sight and the forend screws for the standard forend on my Encore is a safe place, realllllllllllllllllllll safe, haven't been able to find them since. I now have a big plastic box with compartments for gun bits and pieces. It isn't exactly a safe place,but it is too big to misplace! haha!

richhodg66
02-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I've had that problem in the past myself. These are in the gun safe, pretty sure I'll remember that. Normally, I wouldn't really care, but there are some collectors out there who are crazy for 788s lately it seems and I'd like to be able to return it to original condition if need be.

Evey 788 I ever had (four if you includeone that was heavily customized) was a good shooter, but the initial results lead me to believe this will be better than normal. My 6mm one is spooky accurate, but I haven't tried cast in it yet.