PDA

View Full Version : 410g Reloading set-up?

no34570
11-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi All
Looking at reloading for a 410g shottie,as ammo for it here in Australia,is around $27 per 25:groner: ,now I have another two mates that have 410g and they feel the same way,so my questions are:

What do I get if I buy a MEC Sizemaster in 410g?
What do I need as well,Dies and where do I get them and what one's(sorry when it comes to shotshell loading,I'm a newbie :smile:)

Are there any other of the MEC lineup in presses that you would go for?(on a budget here)?

Hope to be able to get some answers soon

Thanks for replying

no34570

Mooseman
11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
I load 410 with a MEC 600 jr. Mk5 and I love it.
The Sizemaster outfit should do just as well and the kit comes with your shot bar choice depending on whether you want to load 2.5 inch or 3 inch shells.If you load both , I believe you would only need the other shot bar.
You will need an assortment of powder bushings for the load you decide on depending on powder, for 2.5 inch shells I use 2400 and bushings 12 or 12A . 296 Powder is another favorite for 410. I have powder bushings 10,11, 12, 12A, 13,14 which covers the most loads i would do.I also keep a spare wad guide.
Pretty much everything else is in the kit from MEC, which INCLUDES bushings 10,11,and 12...
Rich

no34570
11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Mooseman
Thanks for that,that is what I was looking for.
I was looking at the 600 Jr Mark 5,does it come with the reloading dies for the caliber you select(410)?

Where do I find info on what powder needs what powder bushing?
Thanks mate ;)

skeettx
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
The Sizemaster does better at sizing with the collet sizer.
Go slow, have fun
Mike

r1kk1
11-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Set the press up for 3" hulls and see if Precision Reloading makes spacers for it. Pretty handy in other gauges.

Take care,

r1kk1

Mooseman
11-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes , they come with just about everything you need in the kit. On mine I can raise the main slide unit up for 3 inch shells but you have to have a different crimp piece which is extra
The Manuals are on line so GO read them and see...
http://www.mecreloaders.com/OwnerManuals/OwnerManuals.asp

rtracy2001
11-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Where do I find info on what powder needs what powder bushing?
Thanks mate ;)

Any good shotshell manual will have a bushing chart in the back.

Mooseman
11-25-2012, 08:37 PM
MEC has the bushing to powder to grains chart on their website too where the manuals are.
I downloaded and printed it out for my bench. A good shotshell Manual will tell you what loads are safe with what wad, what powder, what case, and amount of shot.
Rich

chambers
11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
I use a sizemaster for .410, set it up for 3", buy the brass spacer from Midway USA or precision if you want to load 2.5" and not adjust the press height. The sizemaster can be adjusted to resize the brass so it fits in the chamber, priming tray is not an option and must put one primer at a time into shell in second station. I also bought an adjustable charge bar, this way I do not need any bushings and can adjust load in both shot and powder slightly. The 410 is small in size and can be touchy but once your setup, away you go. I loaded about 1K shells from everything from #7.5, #4, and some buckshot.

no34570
11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks to all that replied,I really appreciate it.
Have to go and get myself a MEC loader now yippie!

no34570
11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Mooseman
Had a look at the link,good info there,thanks mate ;)

kenyerian
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
If you are going to load empties from more than one gun I reccommend the Sizemaster set up for 3". Shells shot in my Grandson's shotgun will not fit in my contender without being sized.

Mooseman
11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Cheers and Beers Mate !

no34570
11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
If you are going to load empties from more than one gun I reccommend the Sizemaster set up for 3". Shells shot in my Grandson's shotgun will not fit in my contender without being sized.

Roger that mate,thank you ;)

no34570
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Cheers and Beers Mate !

:) Lot's and lot's :)

W.R.Buchanan
11-26-2012, 02:42 PM
For your empty hulls watch www.trapshooters.com.

.410 OF hulls generally go for around .25 each so don't be put off. Since you're in AUS shipping will be an issue so you'll probably have to watch a local skeet club for fired hulls in any quantity.

If you have to buy ammo to get started get the Winchester Shells. They are made just like the Winchester AA hulls used in 12 ga which are reloadable many times.

I'm currently looking for a nice .410 OU so I can reload .410 shells and use up the 10+ lbs of H110/W296 I have had for many years.

Another way to go is .444 Marlin brass, the process is a little different but the MEC machine will still do most of it.

Randy

no34570
11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
For your empty hulls watch www.trapshooters.com.

.410 OF hulls generally go for around .25 each so don't be put off. Since you're in AUS shipping will be an issue so you'll probably have to watch a local skeet club for fired hulls in any quantity.

If you have to buy ammo to get started get the Winchester Shells. They are made just like the Winchester AA hulls used in 12 ga which are reloadable many times.

I'm currently looking for a nice .410 OU so I can reload .410 shells and use up the 10+ lbs of H110/W296 I have had for many years.

Another way to go is .444 Marlin brass, the process is a little different but the MEC machine will still do most of it.

Randy

Randy
Thanks for that info,much appreciated,it is a whole different kettle of fish reloading for shotguns,isn't it? phew!

Mooseman
11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
The main thing is to get set up and get the machine adjusted first, then get into a rhythm.
After the powder drop, raise the handle and ***DONT FORGET THE WAD !*** lol. You end up with the shot mixed with the powder. Because the .410 drop tube is small in diameter , i use a wooden dowel to tap the tube when I drop the powder and shot as I slowly let the handle come up. This keeps the powder or shot from bridging in the drop tube .
Rich

no34570
11-27-2012, 06:12 AM
The main thing is to get set up and get the machine adjusted first, then get into a rhythm.
After the powder drop, raise the handle and ***DONT FORGET THE WAD !*** lol. You end up with the shot mixed with the powder. Because the .410 drop tube is small in diameter , i use a wooden dowel to tap the tube when I drop the powder and shot as I slowly let the handle come up. This keeps the powder or shot from bridging in the drop tube .
Rich

Thanks mate,all good info ;)

W.R.Buchanan
11-28-2012, 04:13 PM
You will find shotshell reloading is more about quantity than anything else. Generally you set up for a specific load recipe,,, and then,,, that's what you do. over and over.

It's not like you are trying different loads for accuracy like you do with a rifle or pistol. This is about making ammo to feed a gun you will generally shoot 100-300 times everytime you go out. (Trap Skeet or Sporting Clays)

If you are going to shoot ducks you go buy a box of high base duck loads. Not to say you can't load those yourself too, it is just easier to buy a box of specialty loads as you aren't going to shoot enough to justify reloading them.

I have made one change to my 12ga loads in my entire history loading them. I upped my powder charge of Green Dot so I would get a better burn and less unburned powder left in the barrel. After that, I just get the machine out, fill the primer feed, and the powder and shot hoppers and start pulling the handle.

I have one machine that will do 900/hour and never break a sweat.

Randy

no34570
11-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi Randy

You will find shotshell reloading is more about quantity than anything else. Generally you set up for a specific load recipe,,, and then,,, that's what you do. over and over.
I thought it would be all about quantity and to have the one load and leave it there,so you can just fill up the tubes and go.

It's not like you are trying different loads for accuracy like you do with a rifle or pistol. This is about making ammo to feed a gun you will generally shoot 100-300 times everytime you go out. (Trap Skeet or Sporting Clays)
Rifle and pistol reloading is a lot different alright,you have to fine tune everything,at least with a shottie,it is about dispersion of the shot,I like it!.

If you are going to shoot ducks you go buy a box of high base duck loads. Not to say you can't load those yourself too, it is just easier to buy a box of specialty loads as you aren't going to shoot enough to justify reloading them.
I will be buying my loads for the shotgun first and when I go after ducks,I will buy just for that,if I find I am using a lot,might consider reloading for just ducks,but I want to shoot a lot of different small game too!.

I have one machine that will do 900/hour and never break a sweat.
Man that is a lot of shells,if only I could do that many,but buying them first off...ouch that would hurt the wallet :)
Thanks mate ;)