PDA

View Full Version : tin measuring

Catsmith
11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I was trying to pinch off enough 50/50 for a few lbs of ww yesterday. a real pain. then i got to thinking of how to make it easier.

i am thinking of a dripper type into water to make pellets to makemeasuring easier. very redneck version of a shot gun pellet dropper using my botto pour lyman into a pan of water

what ya think?

Wayne S
11-25-2012, 04:44 PM
depending on the size of the block either use a circular saw with a metal blade,or go to a "thrift' shop and buy a small [depending on the size of your block] pot, melt your tin in it and pour thin ingots in a used muffin pan. Of course it's always better to get a cast iron dutch oven and make as much of your alloy as possible, then what alloy you use tomorrow will be the same blend as you use the next time you cast.

imashooter2
11-25-2012, 05:07 PM
What form? Wire, bars, ingots?

Dripping into water you have a potential to trap moisture in a cavity or bubble that will not evaporate for a long, long time.

williamwaco
11-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I like bar solder. scribe lines across the bar at one ounce intervals. then stick the end of the bar into the melt up to the first line and let it melt. Presto! one ounce of tin.

( Intervals of one ounce of tin, you need to calculate this based on the tin content of the bar.)

375RUGER
11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I melt it down and ladle pour it onto metal sheets or small cupcake ingot pans in different coin sizes.

I cut my bar solder into 1/2 oz and 1oz chunks with boltcutters.

olaf455
11-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I like to cast bullets with tin only, then give them a whack with a hammer so you know what they are. Weigh up enough tin for your melt, drop it in the pot and you're done.

Catsmith
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
good ideas. i guess i tend to overdo things. lol

jfischer
11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I also cast mine into 45 acp bullets, I don't smash them but my ww drop at 230 and these are 160 don't have a problem with distinguishing the tin from the lead.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Catsmith
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
i practiced pouring today with about 3 lbs of 50/50. poured the prettiest bullets i could imagine. put cutoffs and bullets in a plastic food container with lid. should make it easier. thanks for all the tips!

Fathersalt
11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I use bypass loppers made for pruning trees. Works like a charm. I like to nibble off 1oz. chunks of bar solder.

cbrick
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
No need for bolt cutters or pruning shears. I use bar tin and the easiest, quickest way I've found to cut it clean & neat is to use PVC cutters. I already had a set but if you don't they are about 8 bucks at Home Depot. Been using mine for years and haven't dulled them yet. I weigh my ingots going into the pot and then weigh the pieces of tin and add 2% by weight.

BTW Fathersalt, I have the exact same make & model pruners.

Rick