PDA

View Full Version : First deer hunt

popper
11-25-2012, 03:52 PM
We left Saturday for the annual family rendezvous in the Bear Creek area of Arkansas. 12 yr. old grandson, his dad & I decided to try deer hunting. They've hunted a couple times before with no results, my first time. Night 1, I sat on the ground, leaning against an old shack at the edge of a pasture, facing a tree line. Nothing happening, so I napped. Second night we positioned along a power line easement, in our sports chair "blind", Again, nothing happening so I napped. Third night we tried the head of 3 trails down the ravine. At dark, GS saw a big doe (he said ~ 200#), then a flag tail. I heard hoof beats, crashing through the woods and bleating all the way down the deep (3-400ft) ravine to the creek. GS said he was adjusting his scope to get a better shot. I asked if the safety was still on -- yup. We promised him the first shot. Anyway, it was interesting. Never heard a deer noise like that - a cross between a air tool , screech owl and heavy breathing. The boys had done a back-pack trip along the wilderness trail. I hiked 5 mi. on the Pinnacle Rocks trail, another couple along the creek valley. Got all the kids shooting rifle and pistol. Came home for Thanksgiving dinner. Friday took the kids and went through 2 boxes of clays. Sad part of the story, wife's sister called Saturday afternoon to tell us that Murphy, my 10 yr Shih Tzu got out of her house and was run over. Wife said I need to get another but I'm not sure about that yet. 54499. His normal pose was 4 legs in the air with his head hanging over the side of the chair.

cdet69
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
That sucks. Always sad to loose a dog. Sorry for your loss.