PDA

View Full Version : aluminum brass reloadable ??

turtlezx
11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
ran across blazer 45auto small boxer primed
aluminum cases . What are your opinons on reloading these cases??

mouldmate
11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
is no good

frkelly74
11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I have loaded 45ACP aluminum cases. It can be reloaded once or twice if it is not bent or dented even slightly. Use a mild load. It will split after one or two loadings. If it is bent it will split when you are seating the bullet. it is not a real good option but can be made to work.

Cherokee
11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
I would not do it, not intended to be reloadable.

ElDorado
11-25-2012, 02:56 PM
The reason they're boxer primed is to discourage you from reloading them. There's so much 45 ACP brass available that I can't imagine being tempted to do so.

fatelk
11-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I loaded and fired a couple hundred just to see how it would work. .45 auto, light load, one time only. They seemed to work fine, but I wouldn't mess with it again; good brass is just too plentiful. I don't recall any of them splitting, but it was a light load.

9mm or .40 S&W are a totally different story. I tried a couple just to see and it was not good at all. If they didn't split on loading they split on firing; I assume because they are much higher pressure rounds.

The reason they're boxer primed is to discourage you from reloading them.
?? I think you might be getting boxer and berdan confused. Early Blazer aluminum was berdan primed for that reason, but later cases seem to be all boxer primed and easily reloadable.

I've messed around with reloading steel cases too, both boxer and berdan. It can be done, and made to work OK, but I have to agree with the others that say it's just not worth the trouble. I never had any safety issues with it, but would expect that aluminum and steel cases would be less forgiving than brass so it's a good idea to be really careful.

ElDorado
11-25-2012, 03:49 PM
?? I think you might be getting boxer and berdan confused. Early Blazer aluminum was berdan primed for that reason, but later cases seem to be all boxer primed and easily reloadable.

You're right. Sorry about that, I'm in a little bit of a fog from a cold. I've never encountered boxer aluminum cases.

I still say there's too much brass 45 ACP to bother with the aluminum.

fcvan
11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
I prefer using the aluminum brass for wax and hot glue boolits that way I don't mix them up. I drill the flash hole out to 1/8" so the primers don't back out. Some folks mill out the base to accept shotshell primers but I haven't tried that yet. Frank

SlippShodd
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I prefer using the aluminum brass for wax and hot glue boolits that way I don't mix them up. I drill the flash hole out to 1/8" so the primers don't back out. Frank

Same here. They work great for wax boolits for garage practice or mouse-killing, and you don't have to sacrifice real brass for the duty. I have reloaded them and as others have pointed out, they typically split when fired. If the OP is short of real ACP brass, I could send him some at a fine BIL price. I never thought I'd say it, but I seem to have an excess...

mike

runfiverun
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
i just call it leverite.

JLDickmon
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
save it up until you get ten thousand rounds or so.. then take it to a scrap yard and turn it in..
might get enough for it to buy lunch..

either way, recycle it.
you never know, maybe you can grab a bucket of wheel weights while you're down there..

SlippShodd
11-26-2012, 11:44 AM
i just call it leverite.

As in "Leverite thar on the ground and let it be?"

fatelk
11-26-2012, 01:00 PM
I still say there's too much brass 45 ACP to bother with the aluminum.
We agree on that for sure.

I prefer using the aluminum brass for wax and hot glue boolits that way I don't mix them up.
I never thought of that; sounds like the perfect use for them!