PDA

View Full Version : Re: The S&W Classic series.........

3006guns
11-25-2012, 11:25 AM
For years I've prayed that S&W would again make the 1917 .45 acp. Well, they finally did some years ago and I'm in the position to buy one......however......did Smith incorporate that stupid key lock in the frame? I ASSUMED that they did, so I held off buying but just now I looked at a 360* view of the gun on their website and no keyhole! However it was a computer generated image so I really need to know. Thanks guys!

MtGun44
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I know for a fact that they produce some revolvers now without the key system,
so it is entirely possible (even likely) that the market for these guns will not bear
the keys. Call S&W up, get it direct from the source.

Bill

Jtarm
11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I haven't seen a "classic" in the steel, but I don't see the key hole on the right side of the frame.

Michael J. Spangler
11-26-2012, 12:08 AM
tagged for updates

Dan Cash
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
If it has a key hole it will be on the left above the cylinder latch.

dave_g
11-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Here's a link to Bud's. Their picture shows a lock.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/43745

On the S&W website, looking at the 360 view I can see the lock also. So I'm pretty sure it has a lock. I also want one of these so I've been looking at them quite a bit. I ended up buying a 1917/1934 Brazilian instead.

You can remove the lock mechanism and get a filler for the lock. Someone on smith-wessonforum sells them.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Got my oldest a 629 last year it did not have a lock on it, what makes them decide to put it on this model?

km101
11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Got my oldest a 629 last year it did not have a lock on it, what makes them decide to put it on this model?

Was it a new gun? And if so, where did you get it? I have been shopping for another 629 6" and have not been able to find anything that did not have a keyhole. And I will NOT buy anything with a keyhole! So if they are making them without the keyhole I would like to know where I can get one. Does anyone know of any other models without keyholes?

Thanks!

Bullwolf
11-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Earlier this year I picked up a new Smith Air Weight 442 in 38 Special at Cabela's. Brand new manufacture, with out any internal frame lock.

It came with a set of DeSantis Clip Grip'sŪ mounted on the gun with Smith& Wesson logo badges, and the newer style rubber S&W logo boot grips were included in the box. Also in the box along with a fired cartridge, was a key for a frame mounted lock that the gun did not have. I don't know why? I am guessing someone at Smith, or maybe Cabela's blew it there. The number on the box, and the guns serial number do match.

I had heard that Smith was going to do a run of J-frames with, and without locks.
Rumor also has it that they are just recycling older frames that they already have on hand without locks. Who knows for sure what the real story is there. I was planning on getting another new 442 anyways, and this seemed like as good a time as any to do it.

The new J-frames without locks were priced the same as the versions with the internal frame locks. Also, ironically enough the 442 that I purchased was a few $ cheaper than a used pre-lock 442 that Cabela's had in the gun library at the time, go figure that one out.

Let's hope that the no lock trend continues onto the larger frame sizes, as I don't like the new Smiths with locks anywhere near as much as I liked the older ones.

They had quite a few new J-frame 642's, and 442's on hand with out internal locks when I checked, but this was earlier in the year. Stuff has really been flying off the shelves fast now close up to, and after the election.

Some of the guns that I looked at had extremely rough finishing marks around the crane and the frame. I cherry picked the one that didn't look like it had been cleaned up with a file.

My new 442 is pretty similar to my older 442, minus all the wear and handling. But, the trigger is definitely not as smooth as my older gun. To be fair though, it also hasn't been fired an umpteen thousand times yet either. It has smoothed up a little bit however, after putting a few boxes of 38 Special through the gun.

- Bullwolf