PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on S&W revolver??

ez4545
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
I've run across a possible trade for a Smith and Wesson model 30-1 in .32 S&W long cartridge. I'm not familiar with this model. I was told it's the hand ejector model and it looked like a 3 inch barrel.

Opinions???

Bill

versifier
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
If it's in good shape, they are fine revolvers. Look for obvious signs of bubba-izing like ruined screw heads and pry marks on the side plate in the hammer slot. Check out the trigger (it doesn't hurt a S&W to dry fire it). See if the cylinder lockup is solid. Shake it and see if anything falls off. [smilie=1:

Pat I.
06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I just picked up a 3" M31 not long ago and it's a fun little gun. The M30 is the same gun with a round butt and a little harder to find. The 32 SW Long isn't earth shattering but it's fun and accurate enough for what it is.

There's a long thread started by Ed Harris about 32s on the CBA forum so you might take a look over there.

Dale53
06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I have owned several of the S&W .32's. They are extremely well made revolvers. I never saw one with a bad trigger pull.

I currently have a Model 31 snub nose and a 631 4" (chambered in .32 H&R). Neither are for sale.

The .32 S&W L, properly loaded with a 100 gr SWC is a SUPERIOR small game revolver (light recoil, match target accuracy, and sufficient "knock down" for the usual small game up through snow shoe rabbits in size). In the "J" frame revolver, they also are light packing - you never know you have it along until you need it. I would also feel comfortable with it for defense from Feral dogs. Along those lines, my grandfather fought off a feral dog pack with a snub nosed .22 revolver successfully.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
06-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Agree with all the above. I had a M-31 x 3" that I lost to divorce--I miss the revolver, but not the party who retained it. 'Nuff said.

While you lose some sight radius, a lot of revolver folks feel that 3" is enough barrel to enable enable accuracy mechanically. I share that view--a 3" K-frame 357 Magnum makes a real fine carry gun.

ez4545
06-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! We're at the negotiating phase. The only thing I have that he is interested in trading for is a mod 70 winchester in a plastic stock in 270 I bought at walmart 7 years ago.

I've been toying with the idea of re barreling it to something with a bit less recoil like 22-250 or something I can use without altering the bolt face. At this point I'm feeling like I'd be giving more than I'm getting?????

At any rate thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Bill

Dale53
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
9.3x62AL;
I have to agree with you about the 3" barrel. Personally, I MUCH prefer 4" barrels for a field revolver. However, I happen to have a "J" frame .38 Special "Target Chief" SS with adjustable sights and a 3" full underlug barrel. I have shot a number of "clean" 25 yard targets with wadcutters. It makes a near perfect "Trail Gun" and I can shoot it as well as I can most any 4" barreled revolver (who would have "thunk" it?). However, if I had had a choice I would have definitely gone for the 4". Since it was only made in 3", I "make do":mrgreen:.

Dale53

P.S. I miss your old name, "Deputy Al"...rdm

9.3X62AL
06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Dale--

Just "Al" is fine. It was time to retire online, just like in real life.

A 4" J-frame 32 SWL would be a fine addition to the safe, but I'm not holding my breath waiting on any "normal" revolver innovations by S&W. If it isn't tacticool or 50 caliber, it gets little love in Springfield.

Uncle R.
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
:roll: "Tacticool"
Nice word.
I for one will be glad when "tactical" finally gives way to whatever marketing gimmick is coming next. I've been shopping for a new tactical wallet. I already have a tactical belt to hold up my tactical pants. Since it was Ford that came out with the "Eddie Bauer" trucks a few years back, I'm guessing they'll be the first with a tactical pickup for the masses. I can't wait 'till I can order an F150-T with kevlar in the door trim panels and built-in AR-15 racks.
:roll:
Uncle R.

Dale53
06-22-2007, 12:21 AM
My opinion of the marketing word "Tactical" is NOT complimentary. Just another way to sell stuff no one needs to "Drugstore Cowboys" methinks...

Back to the subject at hand (.32's). I have been very happy with my little Ruger SP101 4" .32 and the 30mm Red Dot. Was out yesterday to the range and shot eight targets. I had a couple of 99's at 25 yards, but also had a few in the mid nineties [smilie=1: . I LOVE shooting this combination.

However, never satisfied, I am still looking for a small (I mean, REALLY small) Red Dot sight at a reasonable price. I noticed that "Sportsmansguide" had a nice looking reflex sight that weighs 1.3 oz and is less than 2" long. Sounds like what I am looking for. Price was just under $100. I jump online and learn that they are "sold out"! ARGGHHHGGG!!

Oh well, I'll just keep on with what I have. It's only near perfect...:roll:

Dale53

floodgate
06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm waiting for the "Tactical Toothbrush"

floodgate

Bret4207
06-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Tactical = double the price. Tactical EXTREME = triple the price.

This information brought to you by TACTICAL TROUT FISHING!, the country's premier magazine for the kevlar clad crowd. Edited by Dippidy Al Hogleg well known raconteur and all around good guy.

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2007, 06:59 AM
those 32 long smiths are one of the most accurate handguns a guy could ever own. Ive shot a bunch of them but never ran accross the right deal. Id dearly love to have one.

9.3X62AL
06-22-2007, 01:54 PM
That's right, Tactical Trout Fishing--the voice of the outdoors-oriented members of the Cammy Jammy Cadre. See next month's lead article--"Game Wardens in Black Helos", and the Garmin- and Magellan-tracking software on board the airships.

For a time I had a pretty nice 1903 x 6", and a collector finally threw enough money at me to part with it. I now have a Colt Pocket Positive x 6", in original nickel, about 90% or so. It needs a new advancing hand, the part is done being peened. It shoots OK, if you give the cylinder the last 5* of rotation manually before each shot.

TAWILDCATT
06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I was at a gun show a few yrs back and seller had 2 32s one S&W with 6 "barrel othe colt same.I bought the smith fo $20 still had some finish shoots great.I kick myself I didn't get the colt too.:coffee: :Fire:

EMC45
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I have recently caught the urge for a .32 S&WL revolver. I can't seem for the life of me to find one local. Neat and accurate to boot and wouldn't take a lot of WWs to get a pile of bullets, nor a lot of power.

9.3X62AL
06-30-2007, 11:54 PM
There aren't many 32's being made these days. Ruger still shows their SP-101 being made in 3" and 4", but the 4" is outta print since early this year. Some Single-Six variants might be available, but the past few years have only shown fixed-sight models being made. A 4" SP-101, J-frame x 4", or K-frame Smith with 4"-6" barrel and good adjustable sights is sorely needed in 32 Magnum. Don't hold yer breath, though.