PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP 5.56 bolt AR mags

randyrat
11-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Mossberg MVP Have you seen this rifle yet?
I have and have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Looks like a winner to me so far.
Nice trigger
1/9" twist med heavy barrel.
20 or 24" barrel from what I understand also it was produced with a 5.56 chamber and use AR mags.

Now we can pull all those Armageddon 5.56 mags out and use them also. I seen one for sale for $495 New !
Can you imagine the possibilities - a 300 Blackout barrel!

The only limiting factor I can see is the standard AR mag is going to limit the weight of your 5.56 bullets, unless you single feed.

Artful
11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes, it does look like a good idea - especially if going swap barrel 223/300 blk

runfiverun
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
i seen one today and paid zero attention to it.
airc it was priced 499.00 [camo paint].
noticed it took magazines but had no idea they were ar mag's.

W.R.Buchanan
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes I ahve considered this rifle. There was a big write up in Rifle Magazine about it, and the accuracy was excellent.

I picked one up at SHOT early this year and was not impressed with the fit or finish, and it didn't have a nice feel to it, like my Ruger GSR does, however I did like the mag fed feature. The article had some decent sub 1" groups with just about every kind of ammo as well as reloads.

AS far as AR mags go Magpul Pmags are the hot ticket. They are polymer, function flawlessly, and are considered by everyone in he AR world to be the mag to use. I've been using them in my Kel-Tec SU16 rifle and they don't disappoint,and at $15 each they aren't expensive at all.

Since Ruger is not going to produce the GSR in any caliber but .308, I think this could be a good choice for someone who wants this style of rifle but in .223/5.56.

You can't argue with the price either, and it is alot of gun for under $500. I wouldn't mind having one. If I was going to shoot Prairie Dogs which are not abundent in SoCal, fine,,, for tactical matches I have the Kel-Tec or the GSR so I've got that covered. I just have no use for one.

Randy

L1A1Rocker
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Can you imagine the possibilities - a 300 Blackout barrel!

Yep. Waiting for it to come out in 300BLK.

Combat Diver
12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
1/9" twist med heavy barrel.

The only limiting factor I can see is the standard AR mag is going to limit the weight of your 5.56 bullets, unless you single feed.

Think the barrel twist will be the limiting factor on heavier .224 bullets not mag length. 1:9 usually max out at 75 gr. It is an interesting rifle for sure up to medium game. I did drop a small whitetail last week with my 14.5" 1:7 AR firing 77gr BTHPs.

CD