PDA

View Full Version : Remington 740 magazine problems

cdet69
11-24-2012, 09:44 PM
I have a Remington 740 in 308 Winchester. It will not feed from the magazine. The spring seems not to be strong enough to hold up the rounds. Is there any way to fix it?

Gtek
11-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Is the bolt riding over rounds in mag? Is bolt hanging back side of top round? About $28 will get you another mag for test. What I can remember about those they are somewhat finicky. I would only spend on Remington, aftermarket may be waste of money. Gtek

Mk42gunner
11-25-2012, 03:07 AM
1. Take the rifle apart and clean the gas system. Instructions can be found on the internet. I used an 8" crescent wrench to remove the barrel on the .30-06 that I had for a short while.

2. New magazine. I don't think those magaazines are easily disassembled to replace the spring. I think one for any of the .308 family cartridges should work.

Good luck,

Robert

cdet69
11-25-2012, 10:11 AM
The bolt just rides over the rounds. I ordered a new one last night for it. It was one of the most expensive magazines I have ever bought. The short action ones are ten dollars more than the long action ones. Go figure? Hopefully it will solve my problem. It does not look like the magazine can be taken apart. Ir seems to all be stamped and assembled in one process.

Gtek
11-25-2012, 03:41 PM
If you have a new one inbound, check top feed lips on mag and see if they were bent down and not allowing proper height for pickup. Gtek

376Steyr
11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
An original 740 magazine would be over 50 years old now. It is quite possible that it was left loaded for too long at some point in its life and the magazine spring gave up. A new magazine is probably the cure.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
They typically never got cleaned as well as they should, get some gun scrubber and
air.. but if the sides have been jammed or deformed or if the spring has just became
weak because it was left loaded too long or what ever reason you may need to get a
new one (or 2)which may have to be tweaked slightly with a file to insert and remove
smoothly.
The short action ones never feed as reliably as the long actions did back in the day.

Hardcast416taylor
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
My brother-in-law was having the same problem with his 742 in `06. The problem was the bent feed lips on the top of the mag. He would give the clip a slap to seat the clip when he inserted it with ammo in it. A new mag. solved the problem and a brief talk by me on seating the mag. a bit more gently solved that problem.Robert

Moonie
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
My brother-in-law was having the same problem with his 742 in `06. The problem was the bent feed lips on the top of the mag. He would give the clip a slap to seat the clip when he inserted it with ammo in it. A new mag. solved the problem and a brief talk by me on seating the mag. a bit more gently solved that problem.Robert

My son is having this same exact issue and has been discussing purchasing a new mag, perhaps tweaking the current one might fix it.