PDA

View Full Version : Black powder loading the 32 H&R Mag?

badgeredd
11-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I am toying with the idea of loading the 32 H&R Mag with BP. Does anyone have experience with this loading in this cartridge? Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have NOT loaded any cartridges with Holy Black in cartridges before succesfully so any pointers would also be appreciated. I understand the powder needs to be compressed to avoid air space, but wads, grease cookies, and such are new to me.

Thanks,

Edd

I probably should mention this will be used in a rifle.

Nobade
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Ideal #3118 cast from air cooled wheelweights, Emmert's or NASA lube, sized .312". 1.3cc FFFg black, small pistol primer. Boolit compresses powder, no wads used. Shoots like a champ in my #4 roller conversion and Ruger revolvers.

After firing, decap the cases and wash them somehow. I use a wet tumbler with SS pins and Dawn dish soap. Let them dry, they'll look like new and be ready for the next go-round.

badgeredd
11-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Ideal #3118 cast from air cooled wheelweights, Emmert's or NASA lube, sized .312". 1.3cc FFFg black, small pistol primer. Boolit compresses powder, no wads used. Shoots like a champ in my #4 roller conversion and Ruger revolvers.

After firing, decap the cases and wash them somehow. I use a wet tumbler with SS pins and Dawn dish soap. Let them dry, they'll look like new and be ready for the next go-round.

Thank you. Just exactly the info I was looking for. I checked the powder capacity of the case and it weighed out at 15.5 grains of 3f to the top of the case...now I'll check the cc measurement and go with your load. Do you know the weight of the 3118 boolit? I have several molds for boolits in the 90 to 120 grain range but no 3118. Thanks again.

Edd

Nobade
11-24-2012, 07:46 PM
It's about 115 gr.

Pretty much any boolit the right size will work, the more lube it carries the better. But even if it's skimpy on lube just blow down the barrel between shots and you'll be good to go.