PDA

View Full Version : the picture i promised glassman66 of customized h and r. 45/70

johnson1942
11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
a real reliable rifle and very accurate. johnson 1942

Glassman66
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the pic, thats a great looking rifle. Can't wait to see it better when I get home and get on my computer. My buddy is trying to talk me out of a 45-70 because of recoil, but I have read about some light loads and roundball loads.

Randy

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

johnson1942
11-24-2012, 11:51 PM
buy a 45/70 with a shot gun straight butt plate and cover with a good slip on pad. this gun has a slight curve in the butt plate but this pad covers it well. recoil isnt a problem. as far as loads the 45/70 has dozens of ways you can load it and they all are right. it depends what turnes your crank. i use reloader 7 behind a paper patch bullet. i was given a lb. of black horn 209 and im going to load some paper patch with that to see how that shoots. put out a thread and ask for opinions on what to buy on a your first 45/70 im sure you can get some good help. johnson1942

Frank46
11-25-2012, 12:56 AM
My ruger 47/70 can be loaded from mild to wild. And cast 500 grain boolits at 1200fps is very recoil manageable in the ruger. Wild is something else, you and your shoulder will tell you when to stop believe you me. Frank

johnson1942
11-25-2012, 02:04 AM
talking about roundball loads, my favorite subject in high school in the late 50s was study hall. i would read gun and hunting mags for a hour every day. one article way back then was shooting round balls in a 45/70. i never forgot that article. this guy who wrote the article talked about the fast and flat shooting he did with roundballs and if i remember right would shoot prairie dogs with them. i even did a computer search recently to find brass or copper .459 balls but couldnt come up with that size. may be a real hard lead ball would work at faster vel? i love the mild to wild way to put it, ill remember that one.

Glassman66
11-25-2012, 02:27 AM
I really like the looks of the H&R Buffalo Classic, I loved reading about Jim Bridger, and others when I was a kid and that gun reminds me of it. I know some of the older guns are more period correct but I am on a tight budget. Still putting things together for reloading and casting right now. I will get there though, anything worth having is worth waiting for!

Randy

johnson1942
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
ive never had any problems with mine. i can never leave anything alone so you can see i modified it some. again my bc is very reliable and also it is very accurate. my boy wants it when he goes to college for becomeing a game warden. it will make a good co. elk gun.

mdevlin53
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Could you tell us what the mod is to the fore end. I can understand a larger grip buts what is the band around the barrel for. Pardon me if i am missing the obvious i often do.

johnson1942
11-25-2012, 07:44 PM
the fore stock is one i made out of rosewood, i wanted to fill my hand. the piece of stainless metal was made by a machinest to my specs. as i wanted to add weight to the front middle of the gun. the center was drilled and machined so it fit perfectly over the center of the barrel. it is pinned to the barrel by a small pin from the side. i like the buffalo classic except for their trigger guard and to me it is way to light. mine has the right weight for the right feel from the shoulder. it is also throated so the bullets can fit up into the barrel. i swage my own paper patch bullets and my design has a long bearing surface and a very short round nose. i cut the barrel off at 28 inches. it is also cryo treated and polished with about a 1000 up and down strocks of a tight patch and jeweler rouge. it is also matte finished and reblued. i am now satisfied with it for my own taste in a hunting gun. i havent shot anything big with it yet, except a cottentail up the butt at 80 yards off hand. he didnt jump. my son is really into reg. rifle season for deer and such, so next year im going to carry it as he still needs a adult to hunt with him. if any one out their dont mind the light weight of the buffalo classic it is a really simple great gun. oh yes i put a 3 thousands shim around the lug that connects it together so it locks up with no slop at all. i believe this can make them more accurate. it causes no problems in closeing the action. mine has a 1-20 twist which is perfect for a 500 grain bullet.

tacklebury
11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I load round balls for the .45-70 using Hornady Swaged Round lead balls. In my 32" barreled BC, I use 10 gr. Unique to 13 gr. Max. They get a little squirrely past 70 yards often, but I have gotten a ground hog with them at about 100 yards or a shade over. I use my Lee case expander die as the depth seater for these. Loaded just past half way, then kiss them with the FCD. Works great and good for squirrels when they won't leave you alone in a deer stand too. ;) Lot quieter than a normal load which pretty much scares everything. lol

johnson1942
11-28-2012, 10:18 AM
very cool