PDA

View Full Version : Which glue for loose gas checks?

1Shirt
11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
For some alum, and the old lymans, think glue is essential to prevent fliers. That said, have tried a few different glues with different results.
Super glue, works-----but difficult to work with, is messy and easy to use to much of.
Gerilla glue, works-but a little goes a long way and it expands as it dries and leaves little bubbles on outside
Elmers glue, works so far the best and is less messy the way I apply. I put a little fine stream of it on the bench, run the base of the blt accross it more or less like a smear, and then apply the check.
Would be interested in the results of others on this subject.
1Shirt!

WHITETAIL
11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Has anyone tried nail polish?
My daughter buys all kins of polish.
And she throws out quite abit.
So being frugal as I am I rescue it from the trash.
As you know they come with their own brush in the cap.
So what I do is swipe the bottom of the boolit and add the gas check.:Bright idea:

357maximum
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Would it not be easier to fix the mold so that the checks actually fit?

A small wooden dowel and a peice of wet/dry...twist it a few times.....TADAAA

1Shirt
11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Nail polish eh! Good thought 99!
1Shirt!

monge
11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
3m weather trim adhiesive just a touch let dry put on check then size no problems .I hate picking the checks out the bottom sizing die , so now i glue them all . good luck!

1Shirt
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Monge, I will try that!
1Shirt!

DukeInFlorida
11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Gas checks should NEVER be glued in place.

The gas check shank should be fixed, or the gas checks should be fixed so that they crimp in place tightly enough that they stay put for the flight downrange.

Fix the real issues, and forget about glues!

olaf455
11-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Gas checks should NEVER be glued in place.

The gas check shank should be fixed, or the gas checks should be fixed so that they crimp in place tightly enough that they stay put for the flight downrange.

Fix the real issues, and forget about glues!

Plus 1...

morton45
12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I have had a similar experience as yourself with gaschecks only just staying put, more because the lube was sticky than anything else.
A friend suggested to open the mold cavity slightly where the gas base is. I used the lathe to turn a piece of wooden dowel down to size & carefully glued some 800 grit emery paper to that. This dowel was then rotated about 10-15 times in the cavity & now the checks crimp on as they should.

Hope this made sense.