PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Reloading Manual

wtfooptimax200
11-24-2012, 11:54 AM
What is your favorite manual? We all should have more than one, but which do you open first? I like Hornady.

jmort
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Modern Reloading - but I use Load Data first which is a site not a manual.

1Shirt
11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Modern Reloading - but I use Load Data first which is a site not a manual.

I have no favorite manual, but use them all for comparisons. Like all of the old Lyman manuals to make comparisons because they have so much cast data. However, the old RCBS Cast manual is also good for comparison, as are the lee manuals. No such thing as to many manuals.
1Shirt!

Aje
11-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Probably Lyman 49th edition or ADI because their powder is easier to get & a lot cheaper here in Australia.

Aje

LeadBrain
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I agree with 1Shirt. I use the Lyman, Hornady, and Lee manuals and can't say I have a absolute favorite. I like the Lyman manuals for less than factory/cast loads and the Hornady for current/factory load data and the Lee for the range of info. Guess it depends on the info I am looking for, I like to use component manufacturers data also and compare that to the other manuals. If you said I could only have one I would have a hard time deciding between the Lyman and the Lee.

geargnasher
11-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Lyman #45.

Gear

Guesser
11-24-2012, 01:20 PM
My all time favorite is the Lyman Cast Bullet Hand Book #1. It was not numbered and mine does not have a date in it but it came out in 1957/58. It is my favorite, but it is just one of several dozen that get called into consultation on a regular basis.

markinalpine
11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I also check the various powder manufacturers web-sites for updates. Most have info that you can download.
Mark :coffeecom

dragon813gt
11-25-2012, 12:03 AM
It depends on what I'm reloading. If it's jacketed I go to the latest Hornady manual because they're the only ones I use. I always go the Hodgdon's site because I use their powders. And for cast I go to the Lyman Cast Handbook and Lee since they have the most loads in them. I don't have a favorite since I use every resource I can find.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

dromia
11-25-2012, 06:37 AM
I like the Lyman Reloading handbooks 49th downwards and all their Cast Bullet handbooks. Ken Waters Pet Loads gets as much use and is a canny read too. I also have and use Speer, Hornady and Vihtavuori.

WyrTwister
11-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Lyman .

God bless
Wyr

Doc Highwall
11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
All of them. I have manuals by just about everyone, especially the condom bullets that I shoot.
Some manuals like Accurate or Reliant only make powder so that was the only way to get data for their powder.
Things have changed with the internet and even the new manuals have new cartridges but they also drop some old ones that you may be interested in.

I am hanging on to all of mine.

Firebricker
11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
For handgun I reach for Lyman 49th or Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook if it's for jacketed rifle Sierra is my first stop. FB

Forgot to mention on the Sierra has lots of good info plus a separate page AR loads in 5.56 plus it's in a three ring format so you can pull the page you want without having the whole manual taking up space.

melter68
11-25-2012, 01:36 PM
The first one i open is Lee reloading, always a good place to start

Kevin Rohrer
11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Lyman #49 is the bible of reloading, and should be a Must Read for beginners. I always go there first before consulting the bullet maker manuals.

r1kk1
11-25-2012, 07:45 PM
For cast bullets - Lyman, RCBS, and Beartooth. I have the rest for jacketed depending what I shoot. I also use the manufacturers site for data too.

Take care

r1kk1

jimkim
11-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I have two. Speer number 9, and Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook number 2. I'm pretty sure when I get Speer 8 and handbook number 1 this will change. My favorite modern manual is Lyman 49.

tbird1960
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
I have 60 reloading books and over the years the one I used the most was Lyman 42, lately I have been using the Hornady because it has cartridges that are not listed in the old books and I have several rifles in the new calibers.

GT1
11-27-2012, 01:45 AM
I have Lyman 49, Lyman 4th cast bullet, Lee Modern, Speer 14th, gun guides for popular pistol, and all the major powder manufacturer pamphlets(You can get these from Grafs or PV or other suppliers, for the asking when ordering components.) .
If I had no power and wanted to reload something new to me I'd pick up the Lee every time, it covers a lot of loads and gives me the cartridge volume and powder volumes, I like that, I know what powder will do the job and fill the case before I even start so I am unlikely to make double charge mistakes(That's just me, though.). The Lyman 49 gets pushed a lot, but the load data is sparse for such popular backing. It was worth reading through but it is at the bottom of the stack.

Wal'
11-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Have all the usual manuals, Lyman, Speer etc, but find I'm using the Hodgdon website more & more as they sell most of todays powders using their own generic names.

DukeInFlorida
11-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Hornady and Speer are the TWO that I refer to all the time for jacketed bullets.
For cast boolits, the Lyman book gets a lot of use.

farmallcrew
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Sierra 5th. But use several lyman, sierra, hodgen, and printed recipes online.

ROGER4314
11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I have 17 manuals and compare data regularly. I load a large variety of jacketed and lead projectiles so it pays to check out a number of manuals before I decide on a powder charge. The Lyman 49th edition is by far the most conservative so I lean that way in my loading.

I don't use Lyman starting load data. The charge tables are so conservative that I begin about the median level with their book.

There is a lot of disagreement between manuals but a lot of that is because SAAMI specs have been revised, the changover from CUP to PSI pressure readings and Lawyer intervention. Lyman is REALLY conservative!

I like the Lee manual as it gives many examples of pressure developed with of their loads. Used with their hardness tester tables, you can key it directly to the BHN of your lead hardness to see what charge will work with your alloy. That's sharp and I hope they expand that feature of the Lee Manual.

Flash

hunter64
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Handloader on DVD is my go to source.

MT Chambers
11-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Yup, Lyman's 49th and their Cast Bullet Handbook, most others are just trying to sell you their bullets or their equipment.

John Guedry
11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Lyman 47.

Bullshop
11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
My most favorit but maybe not most used is, " The Complete Guide to Handloading" By Phill Sharpe
Published by Funk and Wagnals about 1935.
I love to read about the development of the 357 mag and its tremendous power.
I do use it as a source for data on obsolete cartridges. I just recently had a customer requesting ammo for a 41 long Colt. It was available there and also in a couple very old Lyman books I have. Old books still have a purpose.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I look to Lee's Modern reloading #2 First.

BUT, I need to preface that with, I always double check that book as it's a compilation of data from very many sources and because it's basically cut and pasted from other sources, there is a higher possiblity for errors, I have come across a couple myself and have heard of others mentioning some.

The reason many dislike the Lee manual (mentioned above), is also the reason I like it.
No other manual I know of lists so many powders. I usually have an idea of which powder I think will be best and want to use. Lee will usually give me that, then all I need to do is search out a couple doublechecks, to confirm it's not in error. the several Lyman manuals I have usualy serve that purpose. another favorite is "Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual" straight from OZ.
Jon

'74 sharps
11-29-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't use any manual. Since I use Hodgdon's powders only, I use the loading data available on their site.

451whitworth
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
My all time favorite is the Lyman Cast Bullet Hand Book #1. It was not numbered and mine does not have a date in it but it came out in 1957/58. It is my favorite, but it is just one of several dozen that get called into consultation on a regular basis.
+1 on that. that one is hands down my favorite. i use the Lyman/Ideal #40-45 alot also.

Doc Highwall
11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
One thing I like about the LEE manual is it gives the loads from the highest to the lowest velocities which allows me to compare a likely powder with other manuals.

HangFireW8
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
My most favorit but maybe not most used is, " The Complete Guide to Handloading" By Phill Sharpe
Published by Funk and Wagnals about 1935.

+1

Have two copies, signed first ed and last edition.

For modern jacketed, Sierra, because it seems like they used my rifles and my crono.

HF

MBTcustom
11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I started with the Speer #9 and it's still my favorite, but Hodgdons website gets a lot more of my attention these days. They run their loads a little on the light side for all calibers, and that suits me just fine.

troyboy
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I use the Lee first and go from there.

45sixgun
12-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Haven't bought a manual, and don't feel the need to. I've found all of the information I could possibly need and then some right here on the net. Between forums, reloading sites, and personal email messages from experienced reloaders, I have had a wonderful experience casting and reloading. I know how to work up a load, I know how to recognize pressure signs, and best of all I own Rugers.

1bluehorse
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
The first book I generally pull is Lyman's 48 edition (because I don't have 49). I like it because it shows pressures with the loads...Gear uses No. 45, I have No. 44 and a couple other "older" books. They are good for looking up, ummm, well, older loads..like a 2400 load for 45-70 (that's just a for instance)..like most I have several made by the bullet companies, Speer, Hornady, etc; but they're mostly jacketed info. I also have Lee's 2nd edition, it's o.k. (mostly just powder companys info, but there is a bunch) but I really don't use it very often...Lyman, hard to beat...

some of the older manuals are pretty interesting because they were before a lot of the powders that a lot of us use today...

zuke
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
LEE's #1 in my book

km101
12-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Nosler In that order, but I generally compare them all on new loads. On my old standards, I have them listed in my logbook. Water's Pet Loads is a frequent reference too. For website I use Hodgdon's.

1maxhunter
12-09-2012, 03:27 AM
new to it but lyman seems to be the most info..

41 mag fan
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Lyman 47th for cast

27judge
12-09-2012, 02:35 PM
a lyman that i bought in 1960 as thats when i started reloading wow thats a lot of reloads and casting tks ken

rutilate
12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
In doing some checking around during the last month or so it seems like some places (like Cabela's and Amazon) didn't have the latest Hornady and Lee Modern Reloading manuals. I found them at Midway but don't want to afford shipping and the surcharge for orders less than $40. Might be time to just bite the boolit. (HA!)

BDJ
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Lyman #44, Speer #12 and powder manufacture web sites.

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I like to use them all for comparison, old and new, Ken Waters still gets a shout and most of the time I try to look
at the one from the bullet manufacturer that I'm using also and at least one that has the right barrel / length and twist.
(My Lyman is the 46th edition, some are hot loads)

farmerjim
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Lyman 48 It is the only paper one I have left. I have numerous others on my hard drive and loads from the internet data to also use. I never trust just one. I always confirm a load with at least one other source.

rollmyown
12-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Probably Lyman 49th edition or ADI because their powder is easier to get & a lot cheaper here in Australia.

Aje

Same. I have several others, but these by far get used the most.

o6Patient
01-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Same. I have several others, but these by far get used the most.

exactly: get a consensus from many different sources, if one is radically different it will be noticeable.

Gar
01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
When I start working up loads for a new (to me) caliber, I end up looking thorough all of the manuals I have (about 18).
I invariably end up with one of the Lyman or RCBS cast manuals as my starting load.
Now if I can just find a boolit and load for a 12.7x 44R rolling block . . . :?

r1kk1
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
When I start working up loads for a new (to me) caliber, I end up looking thorough all of the manuals I have (about 18).
I invariably end up with one of the Lyman or RCBS cast manuals as my starting load.
Now if I can just find a boolit and load for a 12.7x 44R rolling block . . . :?

Accurate arms has given me data for wildcats and obsolete cartridges. Email me.

Take care

r1kk1