PDA

View Full Version : Swaging on a Turrent Press

TKG
11-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Is the Redding T-7 press suitable for swaging .22 caliber boolits (lead) or jacketed. The turrent idea sounds good but is the strength factor up to the task. Have a new T-7 on the way but no experience in using it yet. Plan on using it for reloading pistol rounds but the idea of swaging crossed my mind. Am I headed for trouble? Never swaged any boolits. Thanks

marten
11-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I have a T-7 and limit it to reloading as I don't want to stretch the bolt.
My swaging is done in a Lee classic cast, rockchucker, home made swage press or a corbin press

n.h.schmidt
11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi TKG
I looked over the T-7. It's all you would need to swage 22cal boolits. Cast Iron and great leverage. The effort in making 22 boolits from fired 22rf cases isn't great. Less than fl sizeing many rifle cases.
n.h.schmidt

marten
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi TKG
I looked over the T-7. It's all you would need to swage 22cal boolits. Cast Iron and great leverage. The effort in making 22 boolits from fired 22rf cases isn't great. Less than fl sizeing many rifle cases.
n.h.schmidt

You have that idea wrong, 'cast iron and great leverage' incredible...
There is a significant increase in pressure in SWAGING bullets even .224".
The Redding T-7 has a single screw holding the turret in place, why would one want to stress that when cheaper 'O' frame presses are available?
The T-7 does not have the 'extra strength' needed to cope with SWAGING end of, unless of course you wish to abuse the press.
Leave the T-7 for what it is designed for - reloading - that is exactly what I do and it does not cause problems for me!

MIBULLETS
11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi TKG
n.h.schmidt

I agree with this. If you can't get the "O" frame press and you are making 22 bullets and using soft lead, I see no problems.

marten
11-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Well guess I will just have to disagree but hey I make swage dies what do I know eh?

MIBULLETS
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
marten, I totally agree with you if he asked about any other caliber of bullet, but in my experience with 22 bullets, there just isn't that much force required. There are plenty of better options for a swage press no doubt.

Rolling Stone
11-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Say what you will, but derimming 22rf brass will work the "stuff" out of you and the press. I have one of the new rockchucker supreme and the ratio ain't as good as the leverage on an old lyman spartan press (which I now use). I have an RCBS turret and use it for pointing or tipping and that is all I want to do on it, besides reloading. Swaging lead wire and cores need some pretty decent pressures too. I started me a collection of cheaper presses so I don't change dies for swaging.
Rolling Stone

n.h.schmidt
11-24-2012, 08:40 PM
He did say 22cal. I went with that. I have some history with this too. I have swaged 22 cal bullets on my Lyman Spar-T turret press. It's cast iron,has only simple leverage and a single bolt to hold the turret on. The T-7 is massive compaired to this. Making anything bigger is much better done on a O frame press. I have made swaging dies too.
n.h.schmidt

marten
11-25-2012, 04:30 AM
Rolling Stone +1

Yeah and I read 22cal.
I have a T-7 as stated, it is not a swaging press. I know how 'massive' it is but what you cannot see is the leverage applied to the central screw,
1- you will stretch the screw 2- you will pull the thread in the press body.
Now it is an expensive press and I would have thought that anyone investing in a T-7 would like to keep it accurate and not kick the c r a p out of it.
If one is happy abusing ones own equipment, have at it, but do not recommend the wrong equipment to a beginner.

A lee classic cast will suit much better and you will cry less if you break it

kd185
11-25-2012, 10:30 AM
The Redding does have the rear turret support unlike any other turrets on the market

and it is a well built machine
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Miscellaneous/wb709-9rcbscomreddingpressm.jpg

but i have to agree with Marten about investing in a T7 and trying to keep it accurate

Reload3006
11-25-2012, 03:03 PM
You can rebuild an engine with a crescent wrench I suppose but its sure a lot easier and the results probably better with a Socket wrench set. While sure you can use any press to swage with. Some will last longer than others. Some that are designed from the ground up to be a swaging press will handle the job a lot easier than the Reloading press route but all roads lead to Rome so they say. Some just a lot quicker and easier.

TKG
11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Thank you for advice as to swaging on the Redding T-7. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker,Jr-2, and a New Jr-3 on hand to do any future swaging. I'll keep the T-7 for pistol reloading only. With the extra turrent I can set up four pistol calibers (3 dies each) and keep them set up by just changing turrents. The options are many on the T-7. Thanks Again.