PDA

View Full Version : Got a "free" pound of FFF Black powder. What should I do with it?

Sakdog
11-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Well, Found a local chap that selling some powder very cheap. I picked up 6lbs of smokeless (what I was after), and I got the discount I wanted but he insisted that I take the pound of GOEX FFF powder too.

What should non muzzle loading smokeless burning person do?

I did a search here and found a little information and I am kind of thinking about loading up some .38 special with it. My plan would be to seat some 158 grain bullets on top of a thin cardboard disk soaked in candle wax or scentsy wax. this boolit would "compress" the BP by about .063"

Is this a bad idea? I plan on shooting this out of a Taurus 85 Ultralite. or maybe an old Rohm that I don't care about (zinc doesn't rust) After firing the barrage I plan on running the whole gun fully submersed into a bath of soapy water in the ol' ultrasonic cleaner.

First thing is that all my powder handling stuff is for smokeless...and I don't intend on changing that. I think metering this through all that plastic is a big no-no so I intend not to. I also don't intend to invest in a "drop tube" or any such contraption. any pointers?

How would you handle this dilemma?

Should I just dump the powder on the ground while cackling like a maniac? or should I try doing something productive?

Dean D.
11-23-2012, 10:25 PM
+1 excess650 :-)

Sakdog
11-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah, this was my initial thought. If I happen across anyone local that can use it I will.

rsrocket1
11-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Get a muzzle loader!
This is the perfect excuse. If you want to go all out, get a kit. There is nothing more satisfying than building your own gun, casting your own bullet and successfully shooting it (unless you include bagging game with it too).

junkbug
11-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Your plan of using it in a .38 Special is not that bad. Just remember, you need black powder lube in the grooves. Something like SPG, or Lymann "Black Gold" You could make it out of 50/50 vegetable oil mixed with beeswax (not parafin).

Loading the .38 Special with black powder is far from a new idea. It should be fun.

Good luck

Sakdog
11-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I think I might give it a shot, I know its not a "new" idea. Just looking for something constructive to do with the stuff.

3006guns
11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I loaded fifty rounds of .38 special years ago, based on Elmer Kieth's advice. Made for some interesting shooting that's for sure. After eight rounds I couldn't see any rifling and accuracy was lousy......that's when I figured out that modern lubes just don't cut it. I spent an entire evening getting that poor Smith and Wesson clean then tried again the next day. This time I pre-greased each chamber with Crisco (no such thing as grease wads back then) just like a cap and ball gun, with much better results. The accuracy was good and the fouling soft with no leading. Since I knew nothing of grease wads I gave up on the project....and come to think of it that box of ammo is still in my stuff somewhere. I'll have to get it out.....I want my brass back!

**oneshot**
11-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Where are you located? I'll buy it off you if your close enough.

John Boy
11-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Have any tree stumps you want to remove?

Bullshop
11-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Splitting wedge?

Sakdog
11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Only cactus out here no trees..... Might serve well for removing cacti!

zomby woof
11-25-2012, 08:54 PM
buy a cannon.

bob208
11-26-2012, 01:28 PM
black powder will last foreever if it does not get wet. keep it on the shelf mite use it for a trade sometime. or you mite get a b-p rifle or pistol. the cap and ball colts in .36 cal. are lot of fun. and a 20 gr. a shot alot of shooting in that lb.

Whiterabbit
11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
good call. definitely good to sit on. I also suggest buying a cheap muzzleloader. round ball rifle, cap lock.

for a lube in a pinch, you can just spray the loaded 38 cases in one-shot. hit the bore with one-shot case lube, then fire away. For a few dozen rounds to see how you like it, it'll work just fine. if things get too gummy, keep a jag and run a spit patch through the bore. I can about guarantee no issues within the first 20 rounds though.

Sakdog
11-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Definitely good advice, I've always been somewhat put off on using anything purpose built for black powder. I don't live in an area that requires the use of primative weapons for anything that I want to hunt. I never saw the allure in using something so dirty and powder hungry...

BUT this all may be changing. here I am having recently stumbled across a free pound of the black powder, when today I find myself reading a local forum post of someone asking: "any ideas on where I can find GOEX FFFg powder locally?" Its the perfect match, its exactly what I got! I feel so compelled to respond but yet at the same time I want to pull the trigger and see the billowing white smoke enveloping everything I see.

I think its rubbing off slowly but surely.

Whiterabbit
11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I never saw the allure in using something so dirty and powder hungry...

Cause its the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Especially on a windless day and the guy next to you is shooting a braked 223.

:D