PDA

View Full Version : Casting table top

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I acquired a 24" x 48" sheet of steel. It measures .030" so that's likely 22 gauge. I decided use it for a casting table top. I've noticed a lot of references to aluminium, marble, etc. Is the use of carbon steel a mistake? I use epoxy to secure it to the plywood table top so there would be no screws protuding. I plan on finishing the top to a very smooth surface and possibly painting or coating it with something to prevent lead from sticking. Bad idea?

oneokie
11-23-2012, 07:02 PM
You shouldn't have any lead sticking to the metal unless it gets as hot as liquidus temp of lead.

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Any thoughts about a coating? Hi-temp paint?, wax, cold blue, light oil, plain old rust?

geargnasher
11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Brownell's Oxpho Blue after you get it slick.

Don't use epoxy to glue it down, use Weldwood contact cement and a disposable foam brush. A series of dowel rods or old arrow shafts laid across the table will let you position the steel sheet without it sticking, then start on one edge and check squareness, then pull out the dowels one at a time to march the adhesion across the table with not wrinkles or air pockets.

I use 5/8" sheet rock on top of my casting bench with a paper edge toward the front. When it gets goobered up to the point it bothers me I replace it.

Gear

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
10-4 on the Oxpho Blue but too late on the contact cement! It got expoxied to the 3/4 plywood about 2 hours ago. I had a couple of tubes left over from other projects and wanted to use it up. Short of a fire, that's not coming apart. I like the sheetrock idea; cheap, replaceable, nice work surface. I can't recall, is Oxpho blue a cold bluing agent?

GP100man
11-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Shine it up & a lite coat of Bullshop`s sprue plate lube to keep it that way !!!

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Sprue plate lube? OK........

By the way, good pic of those old Lyman/Ideal molds. When you find something that works, hang onto it.

geargnasher
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
10-4 on the Oxpho Blue but too late on the contact cement! It got expoxied to the 3/4 plywood about 2 hours ago. I had a couple of tubes left over from other projects and wanted to use it up. Short of a fire, that's not coming apart. I like the sheetrock idea; cheap, replaceable, nice work surface. I can't recall, is Oxpho blue a cold bluing agent?

No biggie, sounds like a good use for leftovers. I recommended the contact cement because it's one of the few things in this life that's both good, fast, and cheap for laminating sheets.

Oxpho Blue is cold, put it on with a cotton swab or tightly folded rag. It tends to streak and blotch on large surfaces, but if you keep putting it on it will get darker. Main thing is it's a passivated surface when you're done.

Gear

btroj
11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I like a sheet of Masonite for a top for the same reason Gear mentioned. Cheap and easy to remove if screwed down.

Old Caster
11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I use some of the 1/4 inch cement board that is underlayment for ceramic tile. It is cheap and takes heat real well.

HATCH
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I had a piece of marble left over from my kitchen counter. I put it on my bench where i hand cast from.

My master caster is on a roll around table and the top is 1/2 plywood. I am gonna put a sheet of aluminum directly under the master caster.

sent from my mobile.

Petrol & Powder
11-25-2012, 07:53 PM
So here’s what I ended up with. A simple box perimeter frame made from 2” x 6”s. A 2’ x 4” sheet of ¾” plywood screwed to the frame and covered with 22 gauge steel sheet. I used aluminum angle to cover the edge of the sheet metal and to provide a 1/8” lip. The legs are commercial clamp-on saw horse legs (“Pro-Power” brand Strong Horse). The legs have telescoping sections that allow for height adjustment. I originally intended to build attached folding legs but opted for removable legs to reduce the weight, besides I can use the saw horse legs for other projects when not needed for the casting table. With the legs removed the top can be carried by a handle made from ½” black iron pipe held in place by pipe caps. When not needed, the handle can simply be pushed flat against the frame. I used all of the left over cold blue I had on hand for the top but that was only enough for one coat. Oh, well, it’s just going to get lead and dross on it anyway. 545445454554546

clodhopper
11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I have an old aluminum warning sign, picked up from a garage sale for 5 bucks.
Caution!
Log Trucks
Hauling

There used to be one near here that said that. Some body hand wrote one more word.

Caution!
Log Trucks
Hauling

Griz44mag
11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
I acquired a sheet of 1/8" steel with a stiffening crease in the middle.
I prop it up on 4 lead ingots so it floats above the table top.
I drop my smelted and hot ingots on it when smelting, and put my casting pot on it when casting.
It is a huge surface area heat sink for cooling molds, ingots, etc....
I spray it down every once in a while with wd or rem oil to keep it from rusting.
Works like a charm!

ErikO
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
I scored a metal shop cart from the last workplace. I need to get some 1'x2' 1/4" steel for the top and I'll be GTG for a casting cart.

David2011
12-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I feel dupsid here. I actually BOUGHT my metaltop- but was pretty inexpensive. It's a galvanized garage floor drip tray. It's just over 2'x4' and has a raised lip. Nothing that we use in casting sticks to it and the boolits don't roll off. It's not attached to the bench top- haven't found that necessary. Most any auto parts or big box store will have them.

David

TXGunNut
12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
I lucked out on my casting table, local restaurant went out of business and had a big sale. One item was a 30 X 48 stainless steel topped table. Bottom shelf is galvanized and legs are heavy tubing.

mtgrs737
12-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I use WD40 as a table top coating on my casting table as it keeps the steel top from rusting and no lead will stick to it. Cheap, easy, and it works for me.

bpratl
12-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I use some of the 1/4 inch cement board that is underlayment for ceramic tile. It is cheap and takes heat real well.

I did the same and it is holding up well, after two years, and is a great heat insulator.

dragon813gt
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
My casting and reloading bench are one in the same. I just bent up a pan at work to hold the pot when I'm using it.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/Reloading/10444ECC-9BBE-4718-917C-589F4FC72E0D-318-0000002EB034C4B8.jpg

I have a large pan I use when smelting with the turkey fryer as well.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

cbrick
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I must be the only one with a rubber bench top.

I use the rolled up sheet flooring used for entrance ways & such, smooth on one side & ridged on the other, about 30 inches wide and as long as you want to buy. I have no idea what the heat range is for this stuff is but molten lead doesn't effect it, chemicals and solvents don't effect it. Also have no idea how long it will last, it's been on there for 20+ years so far and it's still in good shape. I have the same stuff on the floor of the loading room where it takes much more of a beating and I did have to replace that after 20 some years.

Rick