PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army Woes...

ShooterAZ
11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Guys,

I need some help here. I'm having problems with my new to me Old Army. I think The issue is related to the percussion caps, but I'm not sure. When I cap the nipples just with finger pressure, they will not fire. I can cock and pull the trigger on one full revolution of the cylinder, after that then some fire, some don't. Its like the hammer is seating the caps . I tried seating them a tad harder with a wooden dowel, it seemed to help a little, still inconsistent. The caps I have tried were CCI #10 and #11. Same problem with both types. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions/recommendations? Try a different brand primer? Get different/better nipples? This is getting frustrating!

winelover
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Mine likes Remington #10's and they tend not to split, after firing, like the CCI #11's do.

Winelover

44man
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I use Remington caps but have had no problems with CCI. Caps need seated all the way.

gray wolf
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Look at the caps, look at the nipples, figure out why the caps are not seating.
The nipples could be to wide and the caps don't bottom out.

prs
11-23-2012, 07:27 PM
The previous owner may have dry fired it and mushroomed the nipples. Get a new set of nipples, there are after market ones as well as Ruger. The caps should fully seat with just modest pressure.

prs

Dan Cash
11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Your diagnosis is correct; caps not fully seated. As mentioned, the nipples may be peened from dry fire. #11s should work. If nipples are not peened, spin nipples in a drill and dress them slightly with a file or stone until caps seat easily with thumb/finger pressure. It does sound like your nipples are too short and may well be from peening. New nipples are not costly.

ShooterAZ
11-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the helpful info. I will look into getting a new set of nipples, as well as try some Remington caps too if I can find them. It seems like the only ones people carry around here is CCI. Thanks again.

garym1a2
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Mine works good with rem #10, not so good with Rem #11

ShooterAZ
11-24-2012, 11:51 AM
If nipples are not peened, spin nipples in a drill and dress them slightly with a file or stone until caps seat easily with thumb/finger pressure.

Thank you Mr. Dan Cash. This was the solution, and it is working perfectly now.