PDA

View Full Version : Used a couple of things i learned here today

mdevlin53
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
This morning i did a little casting and before i started i plugged in a 10 dollar hotplate beside my casting pot. I preheated my molds before i started casting and each mold was good to go from the start. This idea is an A1 good thing to do. (ps. if the handles start to smoke its too hot don't ask me how i know.)

Second thing is that while casting some big boolits. 439-425s and 458-500s I noticed that the boolets still were not really filling out as well as i would like so i had read that using a ladle vice the bottom pour method might make for a better fill out. Well that is a true statement. With the ladle the boolits were nearly perfect. This also is an A1 idea.
Now the only problem is that my little 10 pound lee bottom pour pot is a bit of a pain with a ladle so i may have to invest in another pot, oh well just another way to save money on ammo.
Thanks to all the good ideas that are to be found on this site and hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Michael

fcvan
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I have used the Lee 10 lb for 27 years and cast big boolits quite well. I started out ladle casting but prefer bottom pouring. Back in the 80s I read of a guy who recommended pouring onto the sprue plate so that the lead swirled into the chamber for better fill out. I started pouring from the spigot onto the sprue plate so that both cavities filled at the same time. That works great for the smaller boolits. For the larger boolits, and for 30 cal rifle boolits, I fill one cavity and then the next by swirling off the sprue plate. For me, it works as well as ladle casting. Frank

1Shirt
11-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Any day you don't learn something, is a day wasted. I seem to always find something on this forum of interest, and learn a lot of things every time I open it!
1Shirt!