PDA

View Full Version : Having tough time getting old K98 bbl off for rebarrel project

abob
11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone

Just asking if anyone has some tips for getting this old bbl off K98 Mauser. This is the first Mauser I've tried re-barreling. Actually
it's only the second rifle I've attempted to re-barrel and I'm very much still on uphill learning curve.

I did re-bbl an old P-14 and found just by soaking bbl/receiver junction overnight with mix of ATF and acetone, it released quite easy.
I didn't even have to make the relief cut to get it to un-screw, as some suggested. That became my 416 Taylor and with a new trigger is
my most accurate hunting rifle.

This Mauser is apparently a lot tighter. Tried yesterday to get apart, and found it would not budge, only managed to spin in the bbl vise.
I've read that the Mauser bbl has a shoulder bearing in inside of the action, so relief cut does not supposedly help much. I did however
still make a relief cut so as to relieve any pressure on the shoulder of leading edge of action, hoping that would help. Soaked overnight
with the acetone/auto-tranny fluid mix. Does any one have any further tips to get to release??? I don't want to damage my receiver, hoping
to turn this project into a 25-06.

Any suggestions/comments welcomed. --- thx --- Bob.

abob
11-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Couple of pics of my relief cut -- trying out posting with new forum software.

abob
11-23-2012, 02:53 PM
My choice of using acetone/automatic tranny fluid for helping release ---- based on this posting by another member:

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts with significant results!

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the
control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment (obviously a BIG nut!).

Penetrating oil ...... Average torque

None ....................... 516 ft lbs

WD-40 ................... 238 ft lbs

PB Blaster .............. 214 ft lbs

Liquid Wrench ..... 127 ft lbs

Kano Kroil ............. 106 ft lbs

ATF-Acetone mix....53 ft lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any
commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinistgroup mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

deltaenterprizes
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Lock the action tightly and use a pipe wrench on the barrel if you do not plan to reuse it for any other project.

L1A1Rocker
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I've done a few of those. I used the Brownell's barrel vice and action wrench with a 4 foot cheater bar. Be sure to coat the barrel with a bit of rosen so it doesn't slip.

abob
11-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Got it off!!! Man that was tight. Had to use my wrench just about all the way to un-screw action from old bbl. Gave my action wrench a couple of wacks with hammer to get it going as another thread post suggested. Also noted both my new bbl. for 25-06 and another new bbl I have sitting waiting for another old bubba Mauser to come along -- with same threads, are both very tight. I did confirm both bbls are the same threads as the old Mauser bbl. Should I use some lapping compound on old bbl threads to open them up a little on the receiver end, or just oil new bbl threads well, to ease entry into old receiver?

Thanks again for replies --- Bob.

L1A1Rocker
11-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Got it off!!! Man that was tight. Had to use my wrench just about all the way to un-screw action from old bbl. Gave my action wrench a couple of wacks with hammer to get it going as another thread post suggested. Also noted both my new bbl. for 25-06 and another new bbl I have sitting waiting for another old bubba Mauser to come along -- with same threads, are both very tight. I did confirm both bbls are the same threads as the old Mauser bbl. Should I use some lapping compound on old bbl threads to open them up a little on the receiver end, or just oil new bbl threads well, to ease entry into old receiver?

Thanks again for replies --- Bob.

I run a tap and die on the threads first thing. Be sure to use anti sieze goop on the threads, I've read one poor sole that didn't. He screwed the new barrel down just to hand fit it and "see how things looked". It stuck and never came apart again.

rtracy2001
11-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Clean, Clean, Clean, then run a bottoming tap into the receiver, then clean, clean, clean, before applying your anti-sieze. As I understand it, the barrel should spin on and off like a nascar lugnut, smooth and easy.

Junior1942
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
...the barrel should spin on and off like a nascar lugnut,
I'm gonna steal that line....

abob
11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Picked up the anti-seize compound---

Happy thanksgiving everyone!! -- thx again for comments and tips ---Bob.